Premed 101 Forums

Interview invitations

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure hope not.

In general, I've heard that invites go out at the end of January and in early Feb. Let's hope for the best...

I just checked my old emails. I got my Queens invite Jan 31, 06 and my Western invite Feb 3, 06. Best of luck to you folks nervously awaiting interview invites even though you know you're gonna get them. :) If you're nervous now, wait till May/June rolls around. Or worse yet, WAITLIST! Gah!

• 2 weeks later...

Although the conventional comment is that Queen's interviews 450 ppl, a review of the accreditation documents on Queen's SoM website indicates that it has generally been more than that recently, closely approaching 500 last year. Comparing cutoffs from last year to this year, my guts say that there will be more people invited this year- how many? I have no idea. But in the absence of concrete numbers, my sense is that the math favors well over 500 this time round, and possibly a fair bit more.

540? Seems that would be low but I can't know for sure. Maybe fewer applied to Queen's this year? Unlikely I would guess but who knows. Not trying to pick a fight at all, I don't doubt that someone would give a figure to you, it's just that that number seems a bit surprising to me. That would be interviewing less ~54 more people than in 2005-06.

I pulled this out of the Queen's accreditation Self Study....the formatting is my edit so that it would display in a readable fashion:

Table 7 Outcomes for Medical School Application Cohorts

1999-00: 1448 applications, 406 interviews, 138 offers

2000-01: 1570 applications, 398 interviews, 128 offers

2001-02: 1580 applications, 427 interviews, 147 offers

2002-03: 1641 applications, 467 interviews, 222 offers

2003-04: 1388 applications, 474 interviews, 174 offers

2004-05: 1609 applications, 467 interviews, 186 offers

2005-06: 1778 applications, 486 interviews, 204 offers

Probably safe to assume that application #s are roughly as high, but more likely they have increased to ~2000, give or take. Not increasing class size this year, therefore still only 100 ppl admitted. From that, and a 2 point drop in the cutoff MCAT sum (while GPA cuts are basically unchanged, according to last year's threads regarding cutoffs), wouldn't you expect a fairly large bump in the # of people interviewed, assuming they can get faculty, students and commun. members in to conduct the interviews? That's my tak on it, I guess we'll see soon enough

Probably safe to assume that application #s are roughly as high, but more likely they have increased to ~2000, give or take. Not increasing class size this year, therefore still only 100 ppl admitted. From that, and a 2 point drop in the cutoff MCAT sum (while GPA cuts are basically unchanged, according to last year's threads regarding cutoffs), wouldn't you expect a fairly large bump in the # of people interviewed, assuming they can get faculty, students and commun. members in to conduct the interviews? That's my tak on it, I guess we'll see soon enough

Well, as it has been said in a previous thread. It is hard to know whether the MCAT cutoff went up or down. Athough the overall number went down (32 to 30), the individual sections went up (10-10-10), and the WS section went up (O to P). But as you said, we will see.

That's fair enough. However, WS aside, I like to look at it this way: last year, if you made the minimum for each section, you weren't necessarily getting an interview...you had to make ANOTHER cutoff wrt to the sum score (32). This year, if you make the minimums for each section, numerically you are done. WS is another bag of poo anyway (actually I wonder how many people that eliminates...)

Call it obsessive rationalization...I need hope, ergo, in my mind, the MCAT cut was dropped :) haha!!

i'm actually in my undergrad at queen's, and at a career fair yesterday someone from the queen's medicine booth told me about 540 people were being interviewed this year.

This number is correct. 540 letters will be sent out shortly. If you are offered an interview, you should receive your letter within the next week or two.

Archived