Premed 101 Forums

Interview invitations

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

weeeee! March 24 for me!

I'm in Etobicoke (west end Toronto). For me, this is just nuts, because I wouldn't have made last year's MCAT cutoffs, and I certainly don't make the GPA cutoffs. I'm a grad student though, with lots of extracurriculars, so it looks like that did make a difference.

Best of luck to everyone!

Y'know, I knew it was coming since December 19, and it's only a reflection of grades and MCAT, but that didn't stop me from doing a little happy dance when I got the invitation.

Will I be able to meet anyone from the forums with my 9 AM interview on Sunday, March 25?

Hey everyone,

I have an interview at 9am on the 25th.. just wondering are these group interviews, or are multiple interviews occurring at the same time??

Thanks

Congrats to everyone whose heard!

Multiple interviews occur at the same time. You will be interviewed by a group of 3 people: a doctor, a community member and a med school student.

Good luck!

Here's what my Queen's interview was like last year for those who want to dream about their interview tonight :P

You begin in the waitroom where you will do just that, wait. A couple for first years will be there, trying to take the edge off. Last year they served oatmeal cookies which turned out to be a bad thing. I had to clean the oats of out my teeth before my interview. Look around, you might find that some of these people will be in your class this fall. I recall seeing a cute girl that I hoped would get in too (she did get in).

A 2nd year entered the room and called my name. I went with him into one of the clinical rooms (you will actually use these in clinical skills). Inside the room is a table (square or circle?) with 4 chairs around it. Already seated are the faculty member and community member. I shake hands with my interview panel and the interview begins.

35 min later, I was asked if I had any questions. I asked my final question. I got up, shook hands, thanked them and left.

A few classmates had faculty members who weren't physicians so don't be surprised. Also, the interview panel is not out here to get you. They're here to see if you have well-rounded personality, not to see if you can solve complex ethical dilemmas in accordance with recent medical opinion. Crack a few jokes, smile and laugh. And if you haven't already heard it ad nauseum :"BE yourself!" Also, I found the interview to be the most enjoyable part of applying to med school. I know it's easier said than done but try not to be nervous. Enjoy this experience.

yes, DO be yourself and be honest! don't rehearse answers because you WILL sound like a robot. BUT - if asked what you want to go into, feigning interest in rural family medicine has never hurt anyone's chances... it's like people who apply to veterinary school who all claim at the interview that they are interested in working with large animals.... anyway, if you're honest about everything else, it'll sound THAT much more genuine........................

Archived