Premed 101 Forums

DAT TUTOR Inteview Prep

I was approached about this course offered by the DAT TUTOR. I decided to address the message here so others can benefit.

First of all, I have never taken the Interview Prep course offered by the DAT TUTOR. I have taken the Soap Carving course though. I have no affiliations with the company either.

If you search past posts written by me, you will find a long one written by me with regards to DAT Tutor courses, etc.

My thoughts:

The marking scheme is a closely guarded secret and only trained interviewers know how you are scored. Thus, I doubt DAT Tutor, which is NOT affiliated with UBC Dentistry, can offer you any insight into the interview. In the past, they have implied that UBC Dentistry students run it. This is NOT TRUE. However, they may have hired UBC dental students in the past and present. I know that my Soap Carving Tutor was a 3rd Year Dental student.

While the official position of the CDA is that all interview questions are private, I have seen them passed around the internet for free. This might be what the DAT Tutor is offering - interview questions. However, I am only speculating. Remember, they cannot tell you what would help you get a good interview score as they don't know themselves. What they might be able to offer is their opinion of what is good.

It is your decision whether you think it is worthwhile.

Hey,

I just wanted to comment on the interview scoring being a "closely-guarded secret". Actually it's not really. There have been research articles written about the scoring method and what they look for in student responses. I looked them up before I interviewed. I can't remember the author's name otherwise I would post it, but I think you can find similar articles on PubMed.

However, they just tell you general traits that make a good answer (e.g. articulation of your reasoning, is the response appropriate when you are questioned about your answer, etc). They ask you seven questions, each one aimed at a specific competency. And, for your answer, you receive a mark out of five for each question.

Heh...ok, you guys all owe me for this one. I looked up where I found out about it, on the http://www.dissectors.com/forum site. Here is the quote by Nanoarray, one of the members:

"I would suggest you do a pubmed search on this lady Marcia A. Boyd. She's the powerful figure behind all that CDA interview. You're a UBC student, so you'd better check her out. Her web address: http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/research/boyd.htm#a4. Yes, she's still alive.

The pubmed search should generate more than 1 article written by her regarding the CDA interview. Once you find one, it becomes very easy to find the 2nd and 3rd.

Its usefulness? Depending on what you want. There are no sample interview questions on those articles, though.

Like I said last year, everyone should do their homework, if they're interested. No pain, no gain. Wuahahaha...hehe..."

Good luck!

To be honest

I thought that you couldnt get help for the interview process either but you can.

I took a course offered privately through a Dental Student at University of Toronto and it made a huge difference.

She taught us how to examine the questions and how to go about answering them.

Im an International Dentist and we followed the same interview format as the 1st year DDS.

Out of the class that she taught 80% of us got into UofT and the rest got into other schools around Canada.

She's really good and her course is worth looking at.

Anyways Im starting the program in 3 weeks so this is just my input.

If you're interested you can email her. I think the address for the course is dentalinterviewsuccess@gmail.com

I think she can help as she's gone through it and she has past interview success

Best of luck

Archived