Premed 101 Forums

do most people do well in interviews?

clkt

standard stuff like good eye contact, articulate coherently, thoughtful answers to at least questions like why medicine, decent understanding of bioethical questions, etc.

Based on the above "average" criteria, are most people prepared for interviews?

standard stuff like good eye contact, articulate coherently, thoughtful answers to at least questions like why medicine, decent understanding of bioethical questions, etc.

Based on the above "average" criteria, are most people prepared for interviews?

Hi there,

I'd imagine that most people who receive interviews value them and thus, prepare for them. However, not all people actual do well in medical school interviews. For one, not all folk prepare equally well. I noticed this seeming difference when I was an interviewer for my school. Another, it's one thing to be able to prepare adequately prior but it's another to be able to control your stress level and actually perform when the spotlight's on you. Thus, even though some folks do heed all the interview preparation advice, they sometimes don't hold it together adequately to pull off a fabulous performance.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey,

Having interviewed medical school candidates for the last three years, I can say that interview performance is highly variable and represents quite a wide spectrum.

Most people take their interviews seriously and have done a fair amount of preparation and from that base, there are always a few that stand head and shoulders above the crowd and are shoo-ins for medicine, without a doubt. There are some that are obviously just not prepared for whatever reason- these people also stand out from the crowd, but in a bad way, with their uninformed answers, opinions and general behaviour. The vast majority fall somewhere in the middle, with some good and some not so good. I interviewed a guy last year who just, for whatever reason, wouldn't answer any questions no matter how many times I prompted him for more information and would never take a stand on anything, preferring to answer a question with a question and talk in semantics rather than sell himself as fit for medicine based on his past academic and non-academic achievements and experiences. Needless to say, he didn't make the cut.

Some people get really nervous and that's okay (you're human, after all). Despite their nerves, most people can rise above it and end up performing reasonably well. I always felt bad for the people that couldn't get past their nerves and performed poorly because of it, but the playing field is the same for everyone in that respect. This is, for most, the biggest day of their lives.

In closing, I guess most people generally do okay with their interviews, but there is always that 5-10% or so that are simply unfit for medicine, or at least they were that day that I interviewed them, and the other 5-10% at the other end of the spectrum. That said, it's always fun to run into someone that you've personally interviewed on the wards, even though you might not remember them- they will definitely remember you, just as I remember my interview panel of the school (and residency program) that I eventually ended up attending!

One thing I found for sure, having gotten an interview and then not getting in, is that too prepared is bad. My specific example is the "why be a doctor" question. As so many people will tell you, after you answer this question, you will often get the "well, why not be a nurse/physiotherapist etc..." question. Do not do as I tried to do and anticipate the question before it is asked! I ended up giving good reasons why I wanted to be a doctor, which was good, but then continued on to say why I didn't want to be a nurse etc. I think my actual answers were all good, but they didn't like the fact that I was anticipating questions before they were asked, because then I came out sounding like a machine. Also, keep in mind that they are looking for interesting, intelligent and vibrant people. Don't come in and be too polite and a$$-kissing. I'm not saying to be edgy, but the people you are talking to don't need nor want to be worshipped.

Archived