Premed 101 Forums

Interview Attire

tarzi

Hey - gotta question, what will people be wearing on their interview at Queens?

So far, I've been to several US interviews and everyone has worn a suit, with one exception, but even here, the guy wore a blazer and cream khaki combo. I don't wanna look like a tool with my power suit when everyone else will be very casual you know? I dunno if the norm in Canada is a little different or not.

from what i saw during interviews last year, pretty much all the women wear a suit. i bought one especially for my interviews (and it paid off, clearly, cause i'm sure it was not me but the suit that got me into med school :) ). you don't really want to stand out by your appearance, so i would recommend a suit with whatever shoes you think go with it. just be conservative and look as professional as possible. if you don't want to buy a suit just for interviews, well, just remember that you'll probably need one in the future anyway......

A suit for women is the same as for men - except that women can have "skirt suits", whereas men...lol.

I'm assuming that women suits are sold as the jacket/blazer with paints/skirt too. I don't know about the sizing though. But yea to answer your question "suit" = jacket with shoulder pads, lapels, etc + dress paints/skirt...and I think the material should be 100% wool.

Your suit definately does not have to be wool - even though its chilly in K-town right now it prob won't help your interview if you're sweating buckets (or course, you might be sweating buckets anyways - i know i was!). From what I saw over the years, most women wear their hair up, but as long as its neat and tidy, down is equally acceptable. Heels are fine, but if you feel more comfortable in flats then go for it (no sneakers thou! lol). Make sure you feel comfortable and confident in whatever suit you choose. Under the suit you can wear a button-up top, but I wore a thin sweater and I got in, so it's up to whatever you feel comfy in (catching on to the theme here??) Discreet makeup and jewellery, no scents (many pple are allergic to them and you dont want to make an interviewer nauseous!), nylons if you wear a skirt....basically business clothes are the norm. You could buck the trend and not wear a suit top as a girl, but you'd better be darn sure you look business-like in whatever you wear instead. Hope this helps!

I'm have a very small, generally insignificant dilemma, but one I'd like some advice on.

I've had short hair for nearly all my life. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to grow out my hair. (I'd like to think that) it looks like John Mayer, but I don't usually style it in that way. It's definitely that long, though.

Do I have to give up on my project and get a shorter cut, or do you think I could keep it in its current state?

regarding suits and flashiness... i've got one suit... i've worn it to weddings... it's a basic black suit... but ppl say i look good in it... is that a bad thing? (i remember reading in an mcat prep book 'the gold standard' that if anyone has told you your tie looks good, change it.) should i get a less formal suit? is it ok to look good? or do you want to look plain. (i know this sounds quasi-conceded... but you ppl understand what i mean... i hope)

Ties are a difficult call. According to my uncle, you don't want a tie that blends into your shirt. A guy with a tie that blends into his shirt, does not stand-out nor look as sharp as a person w/ a tie that has a single matching tone + other colours. Since I can't dress myself worth a darn I went to Moores. I told him that I was going to a medical school interview and he took care of everything else. I wore a dark navy suit, a light blue dress shirt and a dark blue tie. I read that it is recommended that a person wear only a white or light blue dress shirts for med school interviews. Don't waste too much time fretting about what you will wear. The last they that they will remember is your anwer to their last question. NOT the colour of your tie.

g'luck

Dingalongdong

Queen's Medicine 2010

ha ha, i love how the suit issue has turned into this giant complicated thing... i understand though, you want to look your best. for the girls out there, this is what i would refer to as a woman's suit (and what i saw most girls wearing last year - i swear, we all looked like clones):

http://www.dwarfparadox.com.au/assets/images/business-woman-235.jpg

yes, it is the cheeziest picture ever. just ignore the lame thumbs up and the mom hair. anyway, you can't really go wrong with the black pants-blazer thing. but the white shirt in the picture is kind of boring. you don't want something blinding, but a nice colour is good. my interview blouse was green. black + green = awesome. it got me into both places i interviewed at.

good luck everyone!

post-494-140744793573_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, I know at least one girl currently in medical school who wore a nice sweater and conservative skirt and got in just fine. Look professional and feel comfortable. Those are mottos to dress by. And don't worry too much about what med school prep books say. Many times they are just erring on the side of covering their butts! :) If people tell you that you look good in your suit, that is a good thing. Go with it.

Thanks for the clarification about the suit.

And in regards to the other point that was brought up...I really don't see why the books would tell you to not look good. I'd try to look as good as possible. Subconsciously aren't they more likely to like you if you're more attractive? And besides, it's a self-confidence booster knowing that you look good. I really love looking good :)...it makes me feel better about myself.

hahaha i dunno i think the idea in that book was that medicine is a conservative profession still, and you need to look kind of boring... however i've been taking much of what they've said in that book with several grains of salt (their advice on getting reference letters was to walk up to profs you don't know but did well in their class, hand them an envelope and say please) ... in fact i haven't opened that book since i wrote my mcat 2 years ago... but yeah as for all the non-interview stuff, i was planning on going totally casual... like jeans casual... (except i guess i'll be all dressed up for the walking tour)

Archived