Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to NOT recieve an interview even if you make the cuts?

Hi,

I've lurked these boards for the last 2 years or so, but have rarely posted. I have learned a great deal of things from this board and its wonderful community. I am a med school like hopeful like the rest of you, and have my sights set on UWO (I will be applying next fall).

I have question, hopefully someone knowledgable about UWO admissions (aneliz, TimmyMax, Ploughboy, etc). There's this guy I know that made both the GPA (> 3.70, 10 courses, senior level) and MCAT requirement (> 30Q, all sections above 10) but he said he was rejected by UWO. He has publications and extensive volunteer (both medically and non-medically related) experience.

Apparently he said UWO sent him a letter that said his focus appeared to be on chemistry research, and decided NOT to give him an interview. Is this possible? I know that UWO added that little writing thing this year, but I thought it was business as usual in terms of "make the cuts = interview".

The reason why I am concerned is for my application next year to UWO. I don't want to fall into the same situation as him (well that and the fact that I don't believe such a thing can happen to someone). Anyone with any info, please respond.

Thanks

I spoke in person with Darla McNeil the Admissions Manager before this business with the short essay. At that time I believe she told me that you will pretty much get an interview if you meet the prerequisits and the cut-offs, so long as your referees convince them you will make a good doctor.

If you ever phone an admissions office, they will never tell you exactly why you were rejected for two reasons:

a) to not disclose that your referee said something negative about you

B) because they just didn't want to take you for whatever reason (e.g. felt that picked their schools as a 'safety,' they lost your application, already filled all the interview spots etc...)

Often in the case of B) they will site protection of the referee as the reason that they cannot disclose any information to you about why you were rejected.

hey...i don't believe your friends focused interest in chemistry would disqualify him. nor do i believe UWO would PERSONALIZE a rejection e-mail for him, telling him that was the reason for his rejection. most rejections are extremely generic, given there are so many applicants to reject.

i do believe that the cuts for western/queens will take you to the interview stage.

I too do not think that your friend would be rejected because they 'had a focus in chemistry research'. There were plenty of people that got into my class that had focuses that were clearly 'non-medicine' in undergrad.

For example: we had someone with a masters in comparative religion. We had more than one person with degrees in chemical engineering, we had people with psychology masters degrees... etc, etc

Also strange is the fact that they claim to have received a 'personalized' rejection letter. UWO sends out standard rejection letters. Applicants are invited to call the office to discuss the rejection if they want further info... but i have never heard of UWO ever getting that specific with why they rejected someone.

The who story seems kind of strange to me.

A few years ago, someone from my undergrad told me they were rejected pre-interview from UWO despite making the cut-offs and requirements. I found this mind-boggling, so I told him to look into it, but he said he didn't want to. I was fairly certain everyone got an interview and if you didn't, they would help you get one once you contacted them. His story didn't ring well with me, so I just assumed he was mistaken or wasn't being truthful with me - either never had applied or hadn't really met the cut-offs.

Thanks for your responses. As always, very much appreciated.

What all of you have wrote is what I was thinking. I've heard time and time again that for the most part (but not always), make the cuts = interview. I reapeatedly asked the guy did you have 3.7 in each of two years? Enough senoir level courses? 30Q MCAT? He responeded yes to all of them.

I thinking he is either BSing or maybe he doesn't make the cuts and doesn't realize it. The point that aneliz brought up about the research being a detractor is spot on, especially when he consider that UWO has taken away any pre-reqs and welcomes not traditionals to apply.

The interesting thing is he even offered to show me the letter. I still want to see it just out of curiosity.

Thanks again for the resonses.

Thanks for your responses. As always, very much appreciated.

What all of you have wrote is what I was thinking. I've heard time and time again that for the most part (but not always), make the cuts = interview. I reapeatedly asked the guy did you have 3.7 in each of two years? Enough senoir level courses? 30Q MCAT? He responeded yes to all of them.

I thinking he is either BSing or maybe he doesn't make the cuts and doesn't realize it. The point that aneliz brought up about the research being a detractor is spot on, especially when he consider that UWO has taken away any pre-reqs and welcomes not traditionals to apply.

The interesting thing is he even offered to show me the letter. I still want to see it just out of curiosity.

Thanks again for the resonses.

i thought western did everything by e-mail this cycle anyway. it would be pretty easy to fabricate a letter!!

anyway, if you concern is having a focused research interest, go for it!

Hey,

I would definitely be interested in seeing that letter and who it is from. I think that it's a safe assumption that all rejection letters are generic- to personalize all of them would be too time-consuming and I don't see why one person would get a personalized rejection letter over somebody else.

Archived