Premed 101 Forums

Admissions Update: Feb 27, 2007

damit_ynotme

I'm not sure if this is the right thread. But if you have an e-mail address on your file and they haven't contacted you by this point (I'm from ontario, outside of GTA), this means I'm most likely rejected, right?

This royally sux big time.

I got my invitation letter last year on March 7th, and my interview was on March 26th, so don't give up hope yet. There is still chance that you will get an interview. BTW, I am also from Ontario, outside of GTA.

Hydes79

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In 2005, I finished a Bachelor degree in Biomedical Sciences at the University of Waterloo.

This is my second time applying to medical schools in Ontario, but the first time to apply to UofT. I will accept UofT offer.

Accepted: UofT

Waitlisted: Ottawa

Rejected (Pre-Interview): McMaster, Western

My Undergraduate OMSAS GPA is 3.92. I’m not sure if UofT adjusted my GPA, but if they did it would be ~ 3.96

MCAT: terrible VR, the rest were fine

Research: 3 undergrad NSERC, Fourth year honour thesis project, research assistant at the University of Waterloo (Currently). EC: sports, volunteer, etc. Work: Teaching assistant at UW, and local events organizer for the international student office at UW.

I already posted this somewhere else, but here it is again.

Hydes79

Well I'm going to count myself out, now that it is March 5 and I'm out of province (even though I didn't get an official rejection I'm sure it is on the way). My stats, if you are interested:

3.91 UofT calc

9VR, 12 PS, 12 BS OWS

EC's: 5 volunteer positions at two hospitals; summer research since second year (incl. one summer where i worked two labs), 4 publications under review (no first author).

Thought I wrote a good essay and had great references.

Anyway, Good luck to those interviewing or had their interviews. I truly am jealous :)

Well I'm going to count myself out, now that it is March 5 and I'm out of province (even though I didn't get an official rejection I'm sure it is on the way). My stats, if you are interested:

3.91 UofT calc

9VR, 12 PS, 12 BS OWS

EC's: 5 volunteer positions at two hospitals; summer research since second year (incl. one summer where i worked two labs), 4 publications under review (no first author).

Thought I wrote a good essay and had great references.

Anyway, Good luck to those interviewing or had their interviews. I truly am jealous :)

You have great stats... I know you've said you expect a rejection, but I'll be really surprised if your INVITE isn't on it's way, considering you also have 4 publications. :eek:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just count myself out cause I'm in Alberta. If you guys are close to the Toronto area I wouldn't sweat it at all (at least not for a few weeks). Again, good luck - I hope you guys get what you want (cause it sucks if you don't :o ).

Hey guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I just count myself out cause I'm in Alberta. If you guys are close to the Toronto area I wouldn't sweat it at all (at least not for a few weeks). Again, good luck - I hope you guys get what you want (cause it sucks if you don't :o ).

Hey, none of that defeatism! I want you to keep two things in your head:

A) April 1st

B) Best for Last!

I'm so confused as to my chances still. I'm oop so i figured i'ld have a later date but i also figured they would have sent the invite early to make travel arrangements. I'm also not sure if they think about 'degree' of oop, since i'm in manitoba, does that figure into this whole process. Man, except for my actual EC list (where i was stupid and put almost nothing) i thought i was a farily competitive applicant. I think at this moment i have 10% hope and 90% disappointment. Does some one want to comfort me by reassuring me that my invite IS coming. here are my stats:

3rd year, 3.93 omsas (didn't apply for weighting), 11/9/12/N MCAT, pretty good ref's, teach piano, guitar, and bass, lab advisor (Calc and Physics), various volunteering at hospital, retirement home, blood donor clinic, area-coordinator for heart-and-stroke, NSERC scholarship and currently submitting paper to journal (1st author tho i didn't say this on my app)

I felt so confident that i would get atleast one interview oop but so far, no luck. Why must uoft do this, just send them all out on the same date like all the other schools

I received my U of T invite February 15th... for the April 1st date. But that might have something to do with me being in Calgary. I was actually quite impressed with them notifying me a month and a half ahead of time. Anyways, hope everyone else gets their invites.

i've seen quite a few posts by those who have been invited and the stats have really surprised me. i thought that UT either likes the M.Sc./Ph.D. type or the undergrad bookworm type (3.9+ GPA, 34R+ MCAT), but of those who I know personally who have been invited, they're not the ones with the best GPA/MCAT/EC's. also, among the people i know who have been invited, they're not the most articulate group of pre-meds either, which makes me think their essays wouldn't be as impressive, but maybe they wrote well when it mattered.

i don't know what the situation is, but most of the people i know and me are pretty much writing UT off at this point, but again, i'm am very surprised with the invites that went out this year.

i've seen quite a few posts by those who have been invited and the stats have really surprised me. i thought that UT either likes the M.Sc./Ph.D. type or the undergrad bookworm type (3.9+ GPA, 34R+ MCAT), but of those who I know personally who have been invited, they're not the ones with the best GPA/MCAT/EC's. also, among the people i know who have been invited, they're not the most articulate group of pre-meds either, which makes me think their essays wouldn't be as impressive, but maybe they wrote well when it mattered.

i don't know what the situation is, but most of the people i know and me are pretty much writing UT off at this point, but again, i'm am very surprised with the invites that went out this year.

Of the people I know who go to UofT, most are the bookworm study 24/7 type with high GPAs and low MCATs (nothing wrong with this, its just not my style). But like you mentioned, this cycle there seems to be a trend away from this for some reason. Most of the people I met were really exciting people persons from all over Canada who were artists, in bands etc. There are a few people who posted above who imo really should be getting an interview at UofT based on numbers alone. There is still time.

Also, this just reaffirms that it is somewhat of a lottery. There are people who got OOP McGill invites (ridiculously hard) but aren't getting IP interviews.

Vip138, the only reason I can think of for you not getting your invite yet is because you're 3rd year...unfortunately the way uoft calculates their academic portion puts 3rd years at a BIG disadvantage. From talking to a med student who used to be on uoft admissions, it seems like in the past few years very very few 3rd years have gotten it.

Nevertheless, with your AMAZING stats, next year, you will have interviews in every single school!!!

Vip138, the only reason I can think of for you not getting your invite yet is because you're 3rd year...unfortunately the way uoft calculates their academic portion puts 3rd years at a BIG disadvantage. From talking to a med student who used to be on uoft admissions, it seems like in the past few years very very few 3rd years have gotten it.

Nevertheless, with your AMAZING stats, next year, you will have interviews in every single school!!!

glad to see someone thinks my stats are amazing altho i do realize my mcat's kind of suck (made cut-offs tho). I have heard of the disadvantage for 3rd years but i have heard of ppl with similar stats with invites. I think what hindered me the most was putting 15/48 things for the EC list. (There was a lot about the app process that i didn't know). I think i've accepted my rejection tho and i'll probably end up at uofm (lets hope) but thanks for your encouragement

I needed to get an idea of the chances for getting an interview email from UofT sometime because I have to make travel arrangements. So i have been calling and emailing (politely, with lots of thank yous etc) the admissions office to find out how best to aprraoch planing my next month's other appointments. Not ONCE have i had a response until today when someone finally talked to me on the phone and said that almost all of the invites are out already and if i didn't get one in the next two days I should count myself out.

which SUCKS.

I know! Talk about being the bearer of crap news. I guess we can all corss our fingers for a miracle tomorrow

From reading all these posting though, if I don't make it I know that I am in REALLY fantastic company. Hopefully UofT will make it's procedure less painful for those applying in future!

I don't mean to nit-pick here, but I'm trying to hang on to my last threads of hope...when you guys say that no news in a couple of days means game over, are you referring to out-of-province applicants or just all applicants in general?

I needed to get an idea of the chances for getting an interview email from UofT sometime because I have to make travel arrangements. So i have been calling and emailing (politely, with lots of thank yous etc) the admissions office to find out how best to aprraoch planing my next month's other appointments. Not ONCE have i had a response until today when someone finally talked to me on the phone and said that almost all of the invites are out already and if i didn't get one in the next two days I should count myself out.

which SUCKS.

I am wondering who you talked you mmartin... I have several friends who did not find out until March 26th last year about their U of T interviews and all of them were accepted. I'm still holding out a bit of hope! :)

I am wondering who you talked you mmartin... I have several friends who did not find out until March 26th last year about their U of T interviews and all of them were accepted. I'm still holding out a bit of hope! :)

I talked to Leslie Taylor, I have to do some traveling myself, but I am a "toronto" applicant. SHe said that most are out already and if I wasn't invited in the next two days I sahouldn't be worried about ching any of my schedule around making it to UofT.

She did say "most likely", but I got the feeling that she was just being nice.

I just called. She says she's waiting for a "couple" confirmations and that interview invites are pretty much finished. If someone pulls out, then she'll send out an invite, but other than that it's done. She sounded pretty tired (lots of phone calls?) and also said refusal letters would be sent out soon by lettermail. Also, I let her know that I was from the GTA.

Archived