Premed 101 Forums

anyone get an email yet??

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else think that Dal has the worst acceptance method of all the schools? Not onlydo you have to wait for snail mail to come every month, and there is the chance that you won't get mail and have to wait another month, but they never send out their mail on the day they say they will. I wish they would do it like Ontario does, one day and everyone knows on that day, so much better.

Dal's system is good if you find out early..........but is frusterating if you don't. I have been in the not finding out early group twice now. And as I find myself waiting on two schools this year, I do prefer the May 15th route, one day, e-mail and snail mail sent that day.

Why do I like it? Because like most of you, I have spent the last few years doing things with the goal of getting into school. So as such, it crosses my mind from time to time if I will get in. With Dal, you hear of people getting acceptance and rejection letters on a 'random' basis. So you can't help but think, there goes a spot, I hope there will be one for me in June. Also, the young twenty-somethings are also quite fluid in where they live. I have just moved somewhere for about three months and Canada Post is still figuring out how to deliver mail to me. Which is frusterating. Will I get a repeat of last year and not receive a letter (a very unusual scenario I was told).

With one day, so much guessing is done away with. But, for those early birds......the advantage of a rolling admissions is amazing. I am 'content' with the compromise this year with 4 mailings instead of 16. Now if only other people will join me when they poll the accepted class this fall (if I am there) and pressure them to spend the extra few moments to send an e-mail along with the letters..................

But, then we will lose the anticipation as we look at the envelope, palms sweating, heart beating, mind numb with the thought............will my dreams of a gruelling but rewarding career come through, or..........the other:::: could I afford to go to school in Ireland or Australia, or could I spend my life in a lab and not go crazy, or is psychology fun even though you can't give people drugs.... Best of luck to all like me........waiting on pins and needles

If you look at it from the other side it's the best acceptance method of all schools. I found out that I was accepted in early march and this relieved me of a lot of stress and has allowed me to make plans for September. I'm so glad that I'm still not waiting. Good luck!

Yeah but what about people that don't find out until June??? At least the May 15th way is fair to everyone...everyone finds out at the same time.

This topic was brought up last year as well.

The good thing about Dal is that they tell you your position on the waitlist.

Does anyone know if non-martime are afforded the same information? You would think so, right?

If you meant "Maritime" then you are incorrect. Not all files have been reviewed, so there can't possibly be a waitlist already. Once all files have been reviewed, including a re-review of the deferred candidates, then the Maritime waitlist will be set (likely early June if not earlier).

Now if only other people will join me when they poll the accepted class this fall (if I am there) and pressure them to spend the extra few moments to send an e-mail along with the letters..................

Perhaps I am assuming, but I get the sense that you think Dal is currently unwilling to spend the few extra moments? Either way...unable is probably more like it. Dal has a very small admissions staff who not only process the very large number of applications to Dal Med, but who also are responsible for student affairs. It isn't that they are unwilling or too lazy or something like that...it's that they just plain don't have the time/manpower! The better thing to "pressure" Dal into (imho) is to give admissions more staffing...(you'd think the money would be available when my darned tuition has gone up by 9+% every year I've been here!!! Lol.) Either way though...an email only lets you know a couple of days earlier - something that I know would be nice right NOW to those of you waiting, but in the long run, it won't change the outcome.

Yeah but what about people that don't find out until June??? At least the May 15th way is fair to everyone...everyone finds out at the same time.

While I understand the frustration of those who continue to wait and especially for those who will find out right at the end, every year (at least in the past) Dal has asked the first year med class what they think of the process and every year the class says "hey....if you know that someone has been accepted in Feb/Mar/Apr, don't WAIT to tell them - let them know early so they can plan!" I also have to agree that it is a better method for the rejected applicants as well...if someone is going to be rejected and the adcom knows it early on, why not tell them so they can move on and/or start making plans to improve their app for the following year? At least this way, not EVERYONE has to wait until mid-June (which would be the "set date" if Dal were to have one) to move on with their lives.

None of this is to say that I don't understand everyone's agony with the wait...I was there too at one, and every MINUTE that passes longer is torture :( I wish everyone lots of luck!

While I understand the frustration of those who continue to wait and especially for those who will find out right at the end, every year (at least in the past) Dal has asked the first year med class what they think of the process and every year the class says "hey....if you know that someone has been accepted in Feb/Mar/Apr, don't WAIT to tell them - let them know early so they can plan!" I also have to agree that it is a better method for the rejected applicants as well...if someone is going to be rejected and the adcom knows it early on, why not tell them so they can move on and/or start making plans to improve their app for the following year? At least this way, not EVERYONE has to wait until mid-June (which would be the "set date" if Dal were to have one) to move on with their lives.

None of this is to say that I don't understand everyone's agony with the wait...I was there too at one, and every MINUTE that passes longer is torture :( I wish everyone lots of luck!

I've heard that they polled the class, but I think that if resources allow it would be better if they email polled everyone who applies.

I cant imagine how it must have felt for those who didnt receive their rejection letters last year...and from reading this form it seems like quite a few. Many of those people were rejected in March but didnt find out until July! If there was a set date those kind of misunderstandings could be avoided. I am still waiting and in the back of my mind I wonder if my rejection letter is 'lost', however I know this is probably paranoia and I don't want to hassle the admissions office which I know is working very hard.

As an aside has anyone in HRM heard this round? i guess since they mailed friday I can stop having a panic attack everytime i check my mail. Best of luck in hanging on to your sanity everyone who is still waiting, it really is harder than I anticipated. I told myself if I didnt hear this month I would start studying to rewrite mcat,oh lucky me!

Yeah, the anxiety is killing everyone, I'm sure. I feel like I'm aging at an enhanced rate.

I've been meditating quite a bit lately to help with the anxiety. It's been really helpful, and I was actually able to focus on my work at the lab today!!

I'd highly recommend relaxing techniques like meditation or yoga to all the applicants out there.

Heres the thing. Snail mail should be eliminated because waiting for the mail to come is the source of a lot of anxiety. With the email system, you know what day to plan for and when to be anxious. I find I am constantly stressed because I don't know if the letter is coming yesterday, today or four days from now. Rolling admission fine, but at least have one day a month when you should be stressed. Not weeks, waiting to see if your file was reviewed and mail is going to arrive.

I agree that while the monthly system of mailing out offers and rejections is beneficial to be able to make relevant plans for the following year early on, I also feel that it simply creates pointless anxiety. Either way, does anyone know whether or not the next date that letters go out, the 30th of May, will be when the waitlist is set and the deferred applicants are notified of their status?

Apparently admissions poll the class every year - and consistently the answer is "keep it the same" - I think everyone that gets in is glad to get their letter, whenever they get it. And remember, previous years have always gotten the once-a-week letters. (I wonder if there are more in the class that hear before May 15 than after?) I don't think having a date would reduce anxiety. Might reduce mailbox watching, but probably not anxiety.

I also think that Dal is trying to get to the maritime applicants, get them to buy into coming to Dal, and make plans, before they get a May 15 notice from an Ontario school. That way they're locked into plans, happy to get their offer, and maybe more likely to stay at Dal.

(Last year they took the "obvious yeses and nos" first - so that kind of makes sense, assuming the obvious acceptances may have also been offered another place at another school)

I agree that while the monthly system of mailing out offers and rejections is beneficial to be able to make relevant plans for the following year early on, I also feel that it simply creates pointless anxiety.

How can the anxiety be "pointless" when you just admitted that the monthly mailing is beneficial? ;)

My point of contention isn't directed specifically at the admissions office but as you suggest, with the powers at be at Dal Med that create the labour shortages in the admin office. I was told by several people last year that in order to reach the admin office by phone, I should call from several different locations to enhance the possibility of getting an answer. That doesn't seem cool.

As you mention, they are also responsibile for student affairs. Prior to applying last year I was impressed to be able to meet with Sharon Graham and discuss my background for applying. But after applying, I felt like I was put in the 'do not disturb us' pile. I am sure they get tired of the whining and eventually hold a certain disdain for medical applicants and maybe that is why this is so. I would not want to deal with 200+ young adults who think they should be doctors asking me 'why' they were not the chosen (relatively) 'few'.

I am also more than aware that fixating on these applications as most of us do could be viewed as immature. I literally stalked my mailman last year to figure out his route (to know if he had arrived yet or not) and was relieved weekly mailings were eliminated. I guess most applicants are driven people who have been told repeatedly that it is tough to get into school, have focused on this goal so much that 'failure' is a jaded pill to swallow and finding a new direction will prove more challenging than waiting and being rejected. Rejection sucks. No doubt about. I was there. May still be again this year. But you either have to dig in your heels and DO something to try and make it happen next time, or realize that there are other things in the vast world that may make you 'happier' if not as content as a career in medicine. (I myself do not yet know what this would be for me). But I have found this years' waiting to be easier than last years'. It may help that on May 15th I will know if I am accepted at Western. And after it is all over, I will be glad (and hopefully not frusterated) that I tried and learned so much through this process.

Dutchman - sounds like you have the right idea in trying to understand what admissions goes through.

Unfortunately, some people really do go overboard in bugging the admissions office and having unrealistic expectations (believe me, some of the stuff that goes on is beyond belief!). Many other med schools are significantly less applicant-friendly, so it still surprises me that so many people complain about Dal. But I guess that is the nature of the beast. My guess is that those people are the ones who will never be happy with the process, regardless of how much Dal does to try to make it easier...sigh.

I definitely sympathize with the agony of waiting...but believe me, the Dal Admissions people go above and beyond to listen to feedback and try to make the process more user-friendly. They want it to be as smooth and agony-free as possible...so to the folks who never seem to have anything nice to say...please just understand that the process will never be perfect, and in the end, a couple of extra days/weeks are hardly a price to pay if medicine is really what you want. There are certainly many many well-qualified applicants who would be happy to take the place of anyone who can't take the heat.

Anyway...I hope I don't sound harsh - I really want to be here to help make this process a little easier for all of you applicants...I am simply just frustrated because I know the ridiculous amount of thought, concern, and time that goes into you guys on behalf of the Admissions folks. So it bugs me when all they seem to get in return is whining and complaining whether it be via this forum or the many many many phone calls, emails and visits the admissions office gets!

For those who grudgingly bear the anxiety and waiting with dignity and understanding...many thanks :)

I really don't think Dal is more applicant friendly at all (an applicant friendly process would be defined as being friendly to ALL applicants, not just those RANDOMLY chosen to be the first people reviewed). Sure its always great for the people that get in in March, and I wouldn't expect those people to be upset about the process. It is the people that must wait until May that I feel for. I really believe that the Ontario system is the most fair. When everyone finds out at the same time everyone is on a level playing field. I think it's hard to argue this. Maybe if Dal accepted the best applicants first and then worked down their list it may be a fair way to go about this, but since they take random application I feel a better approach would be to evaluate each application first and then make final decisions on everyone at the same time. This is in no way a slight on the admission's committee and the amount of work they put into their job, I just feel like there needs to be changes made to the system where all applicants are afforded the same circumstances and being given a decisions isn't decided based on how quickly your name was chosen out of a hat.

Compared to Ontario schools at least, Dal will tell you your position on the waitlist. Dal meets with applicants before they apply to discuss their suitability. Dal gives the sectional scores to unsuccessful applicants so that they can know where to improve for the future. Dal only charges applicants an additional fee IF they get an interview, as opposed to the exorbitant fees charged via OMSAS for applicants to Ontario schools who may not even be granted an interview. Dal polls their classes every year regarding not only the timing of notification but also all aspects of the admissions process in order to improve for future years. But yet Dal is less applicant-friendly?

If you are trying to imply that people who are reviewed later in the process have a lesser chance of getting in, then you are incorrect. Every year in the early stages the adcom accepts ONLY those who are outstanding and sure to be in the top 80 people. Anyone who is in any sort of gray zone gets deferred. Thus, at the end of the process, let's say 65 (random #) spots are filled with the best of the best. The final decisions regarding the final 15 spots are made from overall assessments of all deferred applicants. Thus...the top 80 people get in, regardless of when that decision is made. As far as I know...never has the AdCom run out of spots before getting back to the deferred pile.

I fail to see how making 65 successful people and probably around 150 unsuccessful applicants wait for 1-4 extra months to make plans for their lives just so the remaining people feel it is more "fair." Do you really want 300 people to have to wait until June when more than half of them could know and make plans earlier? You all sign up and roll the dice, hoping that you'll hear early. If you don't, I'm sorry, it definitely stinks that you have to wait longer...but that is the luck of the draw...a draw that you willingly signed up for. You can't possibly believe that a few individual people who are particularly frustrated with the wait know better than an AdCom that has worked successfully and to the satisfaction of the majority for years? You could always change your own system and not check your mail until June...then you know your letter will be there.

The process of applying to med school is anxiety-provoking....period. Those who are going to feel the anxiety are going to feel it regardless. I applied to both Dal and Ontario schools, and I was significantly and equally anxious about both. I appreciated Dal's human touch and friendliness in the process - to Dal, no one is "just a number" and that is why I chose to come here as opposed to other schools that I felt were very faceless and cold throughout the admissions process.

Archived