Premed 101 Forums

The Official August/September Registration Thread

The Law

I need a space to really vent my frustrations. I hope I won't get banned for this or anything. I just need to get it out. The AAMC CAN GO **** THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY ARE ****IN RETARDS AND INCOMPETENT SONS OF *****ES. AAMC MOTHER****ERS ARE MORONS WITH TWO ****S FOR BRAINS, ****IN *******S SHOULD GET SHUT DOWN STUPID MOTHER****ERS.

well said Gavanshir... well said

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New here, I keep trying to apply to any sites in Ontario (I live in Toronto) for August 14-Sept 8 so any cities named Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton I keep trying for. Hell I'm desperate enough to see if there's seats available for Kitchener, London and Ottawa but it keeps saying seats unavailable.

SHould I just keep trying until a spot opens up? I mean, I know a couple of people who decided to do their mcats in Syracuse and Michigan, so they're desperate enough to be traveling to the US but I don't want to do that.

hey,

i hear you...registration couldn't have opened at a worse time for me...i tried as much as i could the first day it opened..and tried some more the next day..but no luck..i even tried Ontario (i'm in BC)...but i'm not gonna go do it in the States...anyway, somehow i think more seats/temporary sites will become available closer to the time, so just keep checking every now & then...

For those of you who are getting migraines from trying to register for sites in Canada (especially in BC!!!), you should consider registering for the US.

I just did that today. Most of the sites in the US are still open so I just registered for the city closest to me. Of course that means i'll have to spend about 180 dollars for a round trip on the Grey Hound, but I'll get to visit some friends down in the South and most importantly be able to take the exam.

Also, switching test centers is only 50 bucks, if some sites do open up later in Canada. So think about it :).

I think there is something very fishy going on, because I have been trying all day every day since the first day registration opened (and I have a lot of time on my hands ;) )

I have been "stalking" the aamc by sending e-mails and calling them. All of my e-mail responses have come back with a message saying that my last e-mail had no text and that I should re-send it or call them. My friends have also sent e-mails from their accounts, and they do the same thing. When I call, they tell me that there are seats available and to keep on trying/ there are no seats available and it works fine/ they are still working on the problem (Ie. a different story every time I call).

My theory is that they've gotten themselves in some trouble by spreading the exam dates throughout the year, because they have just now realized that very few people want to take the MCAT before July. I think they are doing this so more people will register earlier, or in the States out of desperation (they would never admit to doing so, because they're technically not allowed to do such a thing).

lol, sorry for the long post, but my point is that don't be surprised if available seats "magically" appear much much later (even a month or so from now when more people have registered in the US or in June etc). I seriously doubt they were all filled up since 9am the first day of registration, and I doubt that all seats are full now.

I guess I was sort of lucky. At about 4:30 pm, I kept trying and trying and I just said to myself, why not try the July times. Unfortunatly the July 24th was all full for Ontario and then I tried July 13. ................................ I got in for two sites: one for Kitchener (spaces available for 8am and 1pm) and one for Hamilton (which I am so happy about since I go to Mac) at 8 am. Suffice it to say, I opted for the Hamilton one and just then I found out that it costs $50 to change test sites and another $50 to change test dates. I think I'll just save the $100 and study crazy in two months rather than the three. What sucks about that is I can't register for the kaplan prep courses b/c they all run through July to Aug. I'm not going to beg my parents to give me more money than they have already given.

My theory is that they've gotten themselves in some trouble by spreading the exam dates throughout the year, because they have just now realized that very few people want to take the MCAT before July. I think they are doing this so more people will register earlier, or in the States out of desperation (they would never admit to doing so, because they're technically not allowed to do such a thing).

It's not a theory - they've admitted as much on their website. There were 6000 people that wrote the August 'CAT last year, and they only have 3000 spaces this year. Also they are encouraging people to write earlier:

examinees taking the MCAT exam in Canada are strongly encouraged to register for test dates in May, June, or July.

They're technically allowed to do whatever they want.

Archived