Premed 101 Forums

travelling...

Guest nonce

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone here has done alot of travelling? If so, have you been able to incorporate it into your omsas application at all? Ive learned alot from travelling over the past few years....and want to use it somewhere....but im having trouble finding a place to fit it in?

Any ideas?

p.s. the travelling was purely recreational....no volunteer work done or anythign like that while i was gone....

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there nonce,

I fit a dose of travel into my application, and a bit of it recreational, e.g., to take a French language course in France, work in Australia and biking trips in India, Sweden, France, Sardinia, etc. In the sketch, you can list these activities, (which is where I put mine), but you can also touch upon select activities in your essay(s). For example, can you think of how any of your trips may have influenced or affected you? Did they change your way of thinking or provide you with any interesting perspectives on humanity that you did not have before? A few things to think about and get you going... :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

Thanks for your response....i read in another post that you're done your app. I dont think ive been so jealous about something in my life :eek

Anyways......all of my travelling experience has been just that....no agenda...just got up and travelled....i.e. last summer i backpacked through europe....i wasnt taking a class, i wasnt really doing anything....but, in all honesty, it did teach me alot about myself. Travelling with 4 very different friends, with nothing but the bare essentials, can be a very troublesome task......so i was going to talk about it in my cope with conflict question for Mac....but i didnt really have a specific situation (just trying to keep myself, as well as the others happy, and trying to fit everyone's plans into 2 and a half months).

Do you think that my travelling experience should be put in the autobio sketch (i.e. in the 'other section')....

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If you have space in your sketch, then I'd add your travel experiences to it, especially if none of your other items cover travel. Also, if you've consumed the 48 spots already, with no travel included, then I'd make some space for at least one line describing your backpacking adventure. After all, being a physician in Canada (and training to be one) means that you will be faced with folks who are different from you. It's positive to know and share the fact that you've been dipped into other places that are unfamiliar, full of different ways of life, etc. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Tanya24

Hello nonce,

I put my travelling experience in extracurriculars. I am not well-travelled, but I did go on a family trip to Italy to search for my great uncle's burial site in a remote city outside of Rome. He had died serving in WWII and his brother (my grandfather) never found out what happened. I managed to solve the mystery! Mentioning this experience served me well as it struck up a conversation during my interview. I would say this is the best way to go: feel free to mention your travels, but try to include your experiences too (cultural enlightenment, student exchange, learning another language, appreciating diversity). Anything that stimulates the readers' interest or curiosity is definitely to your advantage!

Good luck.

Archived