Premed 101 Forums

Three Weeks...

i've been told that queens responds with emails (hence debunking the paper hitting the mail thing... it's strictly electronic with queens - although i do recognize that 14th is wishful thinking, it'll most likely be on the 15th). The email indicates that you've been offered admission or you're on the waitlist. The actual paper admissions package isn't sent for a few weeks after i believe.

time wise, i doubt it's some automated email sent at 12:01... so i'd check feverishly in the morning hours and keep checking until a) the EMS arrives with a defibrilator or B) you get something from Queens :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To confirm what many of you have been saying, you will almost certainly find out on May 15. I had heard about someone finding out late on the 14th, but that's far from proven and should not be expected.

I checked my email in the early morning of May 15 and got nothing. Then a half hour after arriving at the lab (around 9:15am) I checked again and got the "golden ticket" so to speak.

Don't freak out if you haven't received anything until the late afternoon. Remember, you will hear from Queen's no matter what. It will either be an acceptance email or one that tells you that you're on the waiting list. In the long run it doesn't change things if you find out at 5:00am or 11:00pm. It will just make you go more crazy with anticipation :)

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see many of you here in Kingston this September!!

Hanni

P.S. One more week...

To confirm what many of you have been saying, you will almost certainly find out on May 15. I had heard about someone finding out late on the 14th, but that's far from proven and should not be expected.

Not expected, surely, but hoped for. I, for one, will be checking my email before I go to bed on the 14th in the unlikely case an email has been sent to me beforehand.

Luckily, I'm spending the weekend in New York City, so I'll be able to keep my mind occupied on other things.

hahaha would you really want to find out right before you go to bed? i think if i did find out at that time, i would want to go out on the street and run and scream or do something crazy hahaha... no way i'd be falling asleep after that news!

I just want to say that we've got either the coolest or lamest medical school applicants, as our countdown thread has been up the longest (okay, maybe not the longest, but definitely for awhile, and we're still the coolest). Go us.

PS Four. More. Days.

PPS Every time I log into my e-mail account, I press enter and cover my eyes, and open them quickly in the hopes something was leaked early. I need to stop doing this or I'm going to be super bummed on Tuesday if it's ambiguous news.

The addition of 6 spots to Queen's - last I was told by Admissions - was not happening this year, but for 2008-09. This holds from the original announcement:

http://ogov.newswire.ca/ontario/GPOE/2006/02/09/c0773.html?lmatch=〈=_e.html

you can see allocation of new spots and timing in the table if you scroll to the bottom.

In addition, the LCME accreditation site visit update memo from Dr. Tomalty at Queen's (from Feb, 2007) notes:

""...Expansion over the past several years has presented us with

many challenges and the accreditors felt that further expansion, at

least in the short term, would not be prudent. Our teaching

facilities are suboptimal and this recognition by the accreditation

team will help us attain..."

For the whole document, see:

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/accreditation_2007

So, while things sometimes change (although at Queen's it rarely happens quickly), considering the current infrastructural burdens, I highly doubt it'll happen this time around.

k

If the fault of not being able to expand lies in a deficiency of facilities then by all means, Queen's should divert funding away from sports complexes budgeted at ?200 million towards modern lecture theatres and labs for meds. If anyone has connections I'd drop this at your next cocktail party/tea-time social:cool: .

hahaha 6 extra med-student spots vs. a mega sports complex... let me think about that one... ;) i'm not even a huge sports fan, and i'd go with the megaplex :P I like the fact that Queens makes a conscious effort to keep it's student body relatively small in order to maintain quality and the atmosphere of the school. I can respect that. They could expand like mad (i'm not talking about meds only here) and take in a crapload more students, but they choose to remain small.

If one more doc means 10,000 more people seen by a medical professional, and only 25 lives actually saved, I'd have to choose even one new seat, over a stadium. I don't remember who said it, but it seems that the end of any great empire is marked by the construction of bigger and bigger buildings to satisfy overbloated egos.:cool:

hahaha i like that quote! what i mean is, it's a bit of a hard sell to whoever is allocating the money. It's also easy to go around thinking that adding extra spots for medical school applicants is the panacea we've all been waiting for (especially if you're vyying for one of those spots). but the entire university does not revolve around its medical school. (i also don't think you'd have to cancel the stadium in order to expand the classroom to fit like 10 more people).

hahaha i like that quote! what i mean is, it's a bit of a hard sell to whoever is allocating the money. It's also easy to go around thinking that adding extra spots for medical school applicants is the panacea we've all been waiting for (especially if you're vyying for one of those spots). but the entire university does not revolve around its medical school. (i also don't think you'd have to cancel the stadium in order to expand the classroom to fit like 10 more people).

Interesting, students were part of the people "allocating the money". I remember 3 years ago when the Queen's Centre was tabled to be built 3 years ago, there were strong opinions about it. Even now there are many people here at Queen's, at least in the undergrad population, who are against its construction. For one thing, the Alma Mater Society (the AMS, which oversees undergrads and medical students) pushed to have all students donate ~$280 over their four years towards the Queen's Centre by making it a mandatory fee (even though the current students would never even use the facility).

But anyways... if you get me started on things that the AMS has done I would never be able to stop :P

Thank you for clarifying your point, Dante...

Actually, I think it's a bit more than just enlarging classrooms, they need equipment, labs, new lecture halls, etc.

It could probably be done for a few million, not so much considering the behemoth sports complex project.:D

i don't think the class size is so much about lecture hall spots and resources for early medical education, but more about the fact that this community is, after all, not all that big, and there's only so much room for clinical clerks and residents in the local teaching hospitals... i've talked to current faculty and the feeling is that the class is already too big! anyway, good luck to everyone on may 15th!!! we hope to see you here in september! i am already getting very excited to torture you all during o-week :)

Hi paulos,

The facilities that are limiting the expansion of Queen's med school are not lecture hall size. Rather the fact that Kingston only has 112000 people, and two rather small hospitals. We are already sent to surrounding communities (Oshawa, Belleville, Peterborough) for portions of our clerkship because there just isn't room in the Kingston hospital for the number of clerks (the schedules are made up so that the 3rd and 4th year clerks are never in Kingston at the same time). If class size were to increase much more, the out of town placements would become insufficient and clerks would have a hard time seeing patients.

I'm not sure what the solution to this is, in terms of allowing growth in Queen's meds; thus why the admin have made the announcement that there will be no further increases in class size (beyond 106).

God bless you, and may your heart receive the joy of knowing Christ.

Maybe, Kate, you need to renew your baptismal vows?

The prodigal daughter wishing she could eat what the swine eat...

Come back to your Father's house, He will receive you, as you are.

Archived