Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Royal College Audit Fall-out

Hey,

I know the Royal College just stopped at the port of UofT to complete their audits. I also understand that at least one program was placed on probation this year (which was quite unexpected by that program's faculty). How did the other programs do?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I have no clue or insight into this at all. I'm just curious as to which program it was and was trying to get an entertaining discussion going.

Kirsteen - where are you. How can you just leave us hanging like this?

Hey there,

Sorry, I don't mean to leave anyone hanging but I'm not sure that this is public knowledge yet. To boot, there are some folks who are not too pleased, apparently. Thus, some sensitivity is in order. I was just curious as to whether some official word had been released on some of the other programs.

Kirsteen

It's highly unlikely that this info would be made public yet, considering the review was just last week. But, in any case, where would such info be made publice...for future reference?

Hey,

Actually, I contacted the Royal College pre-CaRMS to try to determine which programs of interest had been a bit naughty these past few years. The Royal College responded noting that they don't officially publicize this info. So, good point.

In any case, as of today apparently the word is a little more out re: the program I know which is now on probation. (Didn't want to say anything until it was official.) It's Radiology. Bit of a shocker, although given the unhappiness of some of the residents over the past few years, and the clout that resident opinions have during the Royal College audit process, it shouldn't be as surprising.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

When the Royal College accreditation takes place, there are many possible outcomes

1) Full accreditation

2) Internal review in two years

3) External review in two years

4) Intent to withdraw accredited status.

Often people equate anything less that the first as "probation" but the intent is that only the 4th one is probation... often meaning residents would have their training co-supervised at another accredited site (ie. U of S Ob residents had to go to Calgary for some rotations a few years back because of significant call issues with PGY-1 and backup).

Kirsteen, any insight as to which category they got?

What's wrong with UofT rads residency? What are the complaints really?

noncestvrai

Hi there,

A few of the complaints I'd heard from senior residents (and this was corroborated by some senior staff) were that they were very unhappy with a number of factors surrounding call. One of these was a lack of support from seniors or faculty while on call. Not minor stuff.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived