Premed 101 Forums

Cool Interview Questions 2007

kaymcee

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if many people can do that when they're 7!

Well, I know this is way off topic. I seem to have a habit of horizontal thinking don't I? :D But a bully who wants to can find anything in someone to make fun of. If it isn't a kid's nose, it's his clothes, or her parents, or not having a dog, or being non-White, or going to Church, or reading Goosebump books. In my experience with kids (and I've worked with lots of 'em) is that those who are bullied have difficulty with getting a social support network for themselves (eg. "the new kid") and have difficulty standing up for themselves. Bullies don't pick on kids with big noses, they pick on kids that are loners.

Well, I know this is way off topic. I seem to have a habit of horizontal thinking don't I? :D But a bully who wants to can find anything in someone to make fun of. If it isn't a kid's nose, it's his clothes, or her parents, or not having a dog, or being non-White, or going to Church, or reading Goosebump books. In my experience with kids (and I've worked with lots of 'em) is that those who are bullied have difficulty with getting a social support network for themselves (eg. "the new kid") and have difficulty standing up for themselves. Bullies don't pick on kids with big noses, they pick on kids that are loners.

self esteen is not always affected by being bullied... how about just kids who think they dont "fit in" because of their big nose... and this causes them to have a low self esteem and self image.

I'm a late entry to this argument, but if you don't mind, I'd like to jump right in. Firstly, most people in most professions are working towards a "financial incentive" of their own, and singling out cosmetic surgery as an especially troublesome mode of doing so is missing the broad picture somewhat. I've been to doctors in walk in clinics who have spent as little as 30 seconds with me - no exaggeration here. Regardless of the triviality of my medical problem (and it turned out not to be so trivial) - a 30 second visit with a GP who wishes to maximize his profits throughout the day by getting as many people in and out as possible is enough to remind me that cosmetic surgeons aren't alone in wanting to make the upper end of their salary cap. I read a study recently about obstetricians in rural areas recommending more expensive procedures on average. Of course, you could argue that there are degrees of "wrongdoing" in being financially motivated, but with degrees of anything, we fall into relativity, and then it's a matter of opinions, right?

I agree with this idea in a general sense because the fee-for-service system tends to generate an inherent conflict of interest between providing high standards of medical care vs. providing lower standards of medical care and seeing more patients. The main difference, however, between cosmetic surgery and other medical fields is that cosmetic surgery by definition isn't necessary while other medical treatments are. The cosmetic surgeon therefore would be disinclined to discourage a patient when their entire livelihood rests on the patient wanting the procedure. In that sense the cosmetic surgeon isn't going to be objetive when determining their patient's motivations. Other physicians don't have that particular conflict of interest, since their patients generally have a clearly defined medical problem that requires treatment and have no need to create a "demand" for their services.

Okay...a lot of what you've said has focussed on "normal" people who want to get surgery for reasons that you consider abnormal - ie. psychologically aberrant. As you might know - normal is fairly arbitrary. And within the range of "normality", there is also a range of greater and lesser acceptance. Just going out on a limb here - but if the normal range for penis sizes was oh...lets' say 4-7 inches (don't quote me on this), then it is possible that there might be a preference towards the upper end of that scale - the male preference on the basis of the phallus' equation with masculinity and the female preference on the basis of the same - or other reasons that would head in a bawdier direction than this post already has. Again, just giving an example - I haven't done any research studies to confirm this "hypothesis". But, we all know that preferences DO exist right? So, given this hypothetical preference - and it's equation with a particular ideal that males are striving towards - would it be a stretch to imagine why males on the lower end of the spectrum might be a bit concerned about how they measure up to the same? And at the risk of sounding Care Bears-esque, doesn't everyone just want to be cared and accepted for who they are while feeling "normal"?

As I said above, I understand someone whose argument for getting cosmetic treatements is simply that they want to look better. But in this particular case it's really the issue of male sexual "performance" that's the underlying insecurity that's being focused on here. It's not like a woman is able to tell what a man's penis size is when he's fully clothed so she can't base her initial attraction to him on this. And even if she could tell this it's not like that's necessarily going to correlate with sexual performance. A man with an "average" penis size who has no problems satisfying a woman in bed isn't likely to feel particularly insecure. So this particular issue is much more complicated then simply dealing with a person's appearance.

Okay...phalluses aside, let's talk mammaries (i wouldn't want to be charged of being sexist now would i?) A friend of mine has rather pendulous breasts. She's young - in her early 20's. Atleast three males that she has been in relationships with have pointed out the fact that her breasts are too "saggy", a bit rudely I might add - I think atleast two of them suggested that she wear a bra during the season of love because seeing them in their full "normal" glory was a turnoff. Shocking and despicable on the guys' parts- and if you say so, I will agree with you completely. But for a girl who is otherwise beautiful, talented, intelligent and very much confident in who she is - repeated attacks such as these can take their toll.

Well, this is something that's really more of an issue with the people she's dating and what they're expecting from the relationship. If they simply want sex with someone who has a perfect body (by their standards) then she probably needs to re-evaluate her reasons for dating these people. Personally, I'm rather surprized that her partners would be that critical. After all, her breasts aren't going to change so if her partner can't accept that then it sounds like she's better off with someone else.

Studies have shown that better looking people earn more and recently there was a (disputed) study out on how height is a factor in intelligence. Now, if someone sees that people around them, who could very well be less competent than they are are being taken more seriously, getting perks in life, etc. etc. - would it be morally wrong of them to focus on their looks more than their peers to somewhat mitigate these forces that are

out of their control.

As I said above, I completely understand that people would want to get cosmetic procedures simply to look as good as they can. I just don't think that the degree to which this is focused on in our society is good because it tends to overshadow the focus on other aspects of a person's personality or abilities.

Is too much makeup a problem too?

I don't really like it whem women wear too much makeup, but this is really just a personal preference. It tends to hide the woman's natural skin tone and when it becomes excessive it's almost like wearing a "mask" that hides their normal appearance.

More importantly, without trying to come across as too condescending - what gives you the right to judge what is "normal" to a person or a group of people?

I'm simply basing this on biological criteria with regards to what the person's appearance is relative to other people. Admittedly, there's always that grey area between having unusually large or small features and actually having a recognizable deformity. Nonetheless, many people who get surgical cosmetic procedures have nothing about them that would qualify as "abnormal" in any objective biological sense. My real issue, as described above, is when people try to achive unrealistic or arbitrary ideals that society decides to adopt simply because they "want" to look a certain way.

You also mentioned that you "find a woman with small, natural breasts far more attractive than one who has breast implants" Sorry to point this out but this kind of explains your next statement : "If a woman feels she needs large breasts in order to be confident I'm not going to find that aspect of her personality very attractive". Ever wonder that maybe you're finding her personality unattractive because she's planning on going against what YOU find physically attractive? Just a thought. And furthermore - your preference for smaller breasts is a preference - and please see above for the nature of preferences.

Actually, it seems that you misread my statement. I don't necessarily have a preference for smaller breasts. I definately have an appreciation for full breasts (or a full figure in general for that matter), but I was specifially comparing a small-breasted woman who accepts her appearance vs. the same type of woman who feels that she needs to get implants to be confident/attractive/sexy. It's a case of someone who is confident about who they are vs. someone who isn't. There's always someone out there who is better/smarter/sexier then you, and learning to accept that is an important aspect of a person's personality. There's also the issue that the woman doesn't really have larger breasts after the procedure. She's got bags of silicone (or whatever they use currently) implanted, which isn't the same thing. The woman knows her larger breasts aren't real, and it will also be apparent to the man as well (at least on closer inspection :)). In that sense I'd be much more attracted to a small-breasted and confident woman then to a woman who feels she needs to get breast implants, even though I find full-breasted women very attractive. As I said in my earlier post it's possible that she'll be able to attract more men with the implants then without and in that sense I can understand her reasons for getting them, even if I personally don't agree with her decision.

So, Devari, let me get this straight. A kid who was born with an atrocious nose, let's say, but a very "normally functionning one" that has nothing wrong with it except its ugliness,

First, I've already stated that an actual abnormality or disfigurment isn't the same as what I've been discussing regarding cosmetic procedures. You seem to be referring to a very borderline situation, but for sake of argument let's say this kid's nose is within the normal size range and he has no deformity.

even if he gets stones thrown at him in elementary school, while everyone is laughing, and has no friends as a result,

Sorry, but this isn't really rational. He has a big nose, so everyone else will throw stones at him and no one will be his friend? I knew a lot of people in school who were picked on and it wasn't just because of appearance. Suggesting that someone with physical imperfections is automatically ostracized really isn't a reasonable argument.

and then becomes very withdrawn and introvert, and in high school, can't shake it off and accept who he is,

Now you're trying to go from "large nose" to "severe psychological problems." You can't just automatically make those assumptions.

and has bad marks and eventually drops out

Wait a second, now his large nose makes him do poorly in school? Sorry, but your argument is getting really ridiculous.

... even then, that kid should not get a surgery because a normal nose is trivial.

I'm sorry, but based on this argument you're suggesting we should surgically fix cosmetic imperfections at an early age to prevent any possible social problems? How would this even be feasible or advisable? It's very difficult to accurately predict what a person will look like as an adult based on how they look at a young age, so you wouldn't even know what to fix.

It's not necessary. The nose works fine. It's the kid that needs psychotherapy to learn to just accept himself... Right?

First, your entire argument of "large nose" = "unsuccessful social outcast" is absolutely ridiculous. But to address this particular question, yes I think that people should learn to deal with the fact that they have imperfections and that people will use these things against them socially. That's just the way life is. The sooner someone learns that, the better.

You're also completely discounting the possibilty that having social challenges will actually improve the person's ability to adapt and deal with problems. In fact, there's a lot that someone learns going through life as an "unattractive" or even "average" looking person that they simply wouldn't have to deal with if they were attractive. First, the kid with the large nose won't try to rely on his appearance to get him anywhere. He'll also learn very quickly that people will be cruel and he will understand the impact that this can have on someone socially. He'll also learn that there are certain things in life (such as appearance) that can't always be changed and simply have to be accepted. If he learns from these experiences he may actually become a far better person then he would have been if he hadn't faced these challenges.

I am not that kid. But I guess you were never him either. As a matter of fact, I guess you look very normal,

This is obviously completely subjective, but I consider myself to be "average" in terms of physical attractivness.

and therefore have no clue what it feels like to be physically different from the rest, to a point where people (and especially kids, who are often mean) ostracise you.

Really? I'm not sure where you got this assumption from, but you're wrong. I had to deal with significant acne throughout high school. It improved gradually during undergrad and cleared up by the time I started graduate school, but it definately had a very significant social impact. As a result I have absolutely no difficulty understanding social issues related to a person's appearance.

Since when can doctors impose their values on patients in this day and age?

Physicians have a duty to make ethical medical decisions. They don't simply do whatever a patient wants.

What about doctors who perform mainly abortions? Are they real doctors, even though they don't help life per say?

No, I don't consider physicians who perform routine abortions to be "real doctors" in an ethical sense.

What if you disagree with abortions? Does that give you the right to judge?

Abortion is an eithical issue and I have the right to my own views on this topic, same as everyone else. I disagree with routine abortions and would not perform one.

What happend to being pro choice and open minded, like most doctors should be in our era?

Why should doctors be "pro choice and open minded"? Are you suggesting that if a doctor considers abortion to be the same as murder that they should instead be "open minded" about performing an abortion?

Don't get plastic surgery if you don't want to, but understand that some people do want to, for reasons that are often much more complex than meets the eye, and no one has the right to judge that. And plastic surgeons are good, competent, much-needed doctors, a rightful part of our healthcare system.

Again, aside from the reconstructive vs. cosmetic surgery issues I've already discussed I really don't see how anyone could consider a purely cosmetic surgeon to be performing the same type of job as a physician treating actual medical conditions. Unless there's an injury or disfigurment involved performing cosmetic surgery on someone's nose simply isn't a good use of a doctor who spent 3-4 years in heavily-subsidized medical education followed by a 4-5 year residencey. They simply aren't providing the medical treatment that is needed in our country where there is a serious shortage of physicians.

Again, aside from the reconstructive vs. cosmetic surgery issues I've already discussed I realy don't see how anyone could consider a purely cosmetic surgeon to be performing the same type of job as a physician treating actual medical conditions. Unless there's an injury or disfigurment involved performing cosmetic surgery on someone's nose simply isn't a good use of a doctor who spent 3-4 years in heavily-subsidized medical education followed by a 4-5 year residencey. They simply aren't providing the medical treatment that is needed in our country where there is a serious shortage of physicians.

devari, your arguments dont make sense!

there is a rational at saying that appearance may cause negative phychological consequences... try to be more open minded

So in my home country, plastic surgery was offered free of charge to ppl under the age of 18 (with parental concent and with the note of a psychiatrist)... this was not a boob job or liposuction, but mostly correcting ear deformities (i think its free here too) and leg extensions for ppl with dwarfism.

oh and to come back to what you said... actual medical condition... how do you define a medical condition??? a broken bone and depression may be 2 different things but they are both medical conditions...

devari, your arguments dont make sense!

there is a rational at saying that appearance may cause negative phychological consequences... try to be more open minded

So in my home country, plastic surgery was offered free of charge to ppl under the age of 18 (with parental concent and with the note of a psychiatrist)... this was not a boob job or liposuction, but mostly correcting ear deformities (i think its free here too) and leg extensions for ppl with dwarfism.

oh and to come back to what you said... actual medical condition... how do you define a medical condition??? a broken bone and depression may be 2 different things but they are both medical conditions...

Did you even read my posts? It sounds like you have no idea what I've been saying because I've already extensively addressed these exact issues. I've made a clear distinction between "reconstructive surgery" and "purely cosmetic surgery" from the very first post I made in this thread. Do you understand the difference I was referring to between someone with a physical deformity vs. someone who simply wants a smaller nose? Please make the effort to actually read my posts next time if you want to have an intelligent discussion on this topic.

Okay, let's take a step back here. Suppose that we agree with the arguments Devari posted (I'm not saying that I necessarily do agree with everything, but suppose that were true). Namely, suppose we agree with the premises that:

(1) Cosmetic surgery is not strictly medically necessary;

(2) Doctors who perform cosmetic surgery aren't helping people in any way and certainly not as much as those who perform other medically required procedures; and

(3) It isn't particuarly beneficial for the patient to spend money and time on cosmetic surgery.

Given all these things, I still can't conclude that we should ban cosmetic surgery or that doctors shouldn't be allowed to perform cosmetic surgery. Both the doctors and the patients have the free will to decide what they want to do with their lives. We don't prevent Starbucks from selling coffee, even though it doesn't have much in the way of nutritional content, it costs money, and it isn't particularly healthy for people. By the same argument, doctors should be allowed to practice cosmetic surgery and people should be allowed to do what they want with their property, including their bodies.

I know people are going to argue that in Canada, medicare is subsidized (although cosmetic surgery is not paid for by the government) and additionally that taxpayers pay a lot of money to train doctors, so they should work for the system. But doctors have free will (and they should just like anyone else!) - they are perfectly allowed to retire from medicine and open up a restaurant if they prefer. Doctors emigrate to other countries. They can choose to work less hours. There's no agreements that they are bound to practice medicine, and even if they do, there's no rule about where, in what form and in what quantity.

We can debate whether or not cosmetic surgery has real or perceived benefits and whether other alternatives (eg. psychotherapy, etc) is better than cosmetic surgery until the end of time. But it doesn't change the fact that people should be allowed to peform and get cosmetic surgery (unless it is highly unsafe) from the argument of free will alone.

No, I don't consider physicians who perform routine abortions to be "real doctors" in an ethical sense.

I will be sure to tell my future patients, for whom I will be providing a legal medical procedure and much appreciated service that I am not a "real doctor".

Just a few points to clarify here:

(2) Doctors who perform cosmetic surgery aren't helping people in any way and certainly not as much as those who perform other medically required procedures; and

(3) It isn't particuarly beneficial for the patient to spend money and time on cosmetic surgery.

I'm not trying to claim that cosmetic surgery has no benefit. In fact, considering how critically people are judged on their appearance in today's society I completely understand the reasons why people get cosmetic surgery from a practical standpont. I simply have problems with some of the ethical and social issues that have been created by the process being so common.

I will be sure to tell my future patients, for whom I will be providing a legal medical procedure and much appreciated service that I am not a "real doctor".

Actually, I'd suggest that you try to tell that to the fetus you kill when you perform the abortion. Or do you think the medical concept of "do no harm" should only apply to a human being after birth?

Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it's moral.

Oh no! How the hell did my Cool Interview Questions thread turn into a troll-fest debating the minutiae of what makes a "real" doctor? Everyone ends up looking like fools when trying to come to a conclusion/middle-ground on issues which are deeply personal—especially through an online forum.

Everyone's different. Get over it!

Could a moderator please, please lock this thread?

Oh no! How the hell did my Cool Interview Questions thread turn into a troll-fest debating the minutiae of what makes a "real" doctor? Everyone ends up looking like fools when trying to come to a conclusion/middle-ground on issues which are deeply personal—especially through an online forum.

Everyone's different. Get over it!

Could a moderator please, please lock this thread?

I suggest we lock KMC for starting this thread... its all his fault :D

I suggest we lock KMC for starting this thread... its all his fault :D

I suggest we lock KMC for suggesting that this thread be locked. :D

Frankly, I enjoy reading both sides' arguments and don't see why it's necessary to lock the thread just because an agreement can't be reached. :P

Actually, I'd suggest that you try to tell that to the fetus you kill when you perform the abortion. Or do you think the medical concept of "do no harm" should only apply to a human being after birth?

Fetuses are not human beings. :rolleyes:

That's my viewpoint. You obviously will not agree with me and are going to attempt to refute it. However, think about this - ALL of us have different viewpoints. I guess, according to your claims, a huge portion of the doctors in Canada are not "real doctors."

That's my viewpoint. You obviously will not agree with me and are going to attempt to refute it. However, think about this - ALL of us have different viewpoints. I guess, according to your claims, a huge portion of the doctors in Canada are not "real doctors."

OMG, HE'S AN ABORTIONIST!!!!! Anti-abortionists attack!!! Let's all stir up some controversy by first attacking Law's pro-choice position and then turning this into a controversial and out of hand argument about abortion. :D

I'm joking. Really guys, don't do it. I claim no responsibility. If anyone asks, Law started it all. Lol.

OMG, HE'S AN ABORTIONIST!!!!! Anti-abortionists attack!!! Let's all stir up some controversy by first attacking Law's pro-choice position and then turning this into a controversial and out of hand argument about abortion. :D

I'm joking. Really guys, don't do it. I claim no responsibility. If anyone asks, Law started it all. Lol.

lol, it's just that it seems people are arguing points to death... when clearly neither side is going to budge!

A fetus is most definitely a human being. That is a simple biological fact.

That's my viewpoint. You obviously will not agree with me and are going to attempt to refute it.

Your statement that "fetuses are not human beings" isn't an "opinion" or "viewpoint", your statement is simply wrong.

However, think about this - ALL of us have different viewpoints. I guess, according to your claims, a huge portion of the doctors in Canada are not "real doctors."

The number of doctors who actually perform abortions in Canada is only a small percentage of the total number of physicans in the country, primarily because the issue is so controversial. So it's not a "huge portion" of doctors in Canada that perform routine abortions.

Archived