Premed 101 Forums

Cool Interview Questions 2007

kaymcee

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's only one thing

You are simply wrong. There are more than one thing.

you forgot....

No I didn't.

you also created ME!!!! Bwahahahahah!!!!

Troll.

*sows the seed of LOMAOA all over the planet*

So you're a farmer now?

Hi all,

didn't realize the saga was continuing, but here's my second (tentative) foray into this argument. Devari...since you have no qualms in referring to dictionary.com...here's a taste of your own medicine :). You mentioned the definition of human being as

"human being

–noun 1. any individual of the genus Homo, esp. a member of the species Homo sapiens."

So, I decided to go a step ahead and refer to the lovely dictionary.com website to find out what being an "individual" entails. And lo and behold, definition 5 of "individual" is

Biology. a. a single organism capable of independent existence

Now, a fetus isn't capable of independent existence - I hope you don't have a problem with that statement - so, given the dependence on the mother and all (and just as a side, I'm not going so far as Judith Jarvis Thompson does with the dependency theories) one could argue that a fetus is not a person right? This is based entirely on "definition" - a similar mode of reasoning you employed previously.

The definition you're using doesn't refute the concept that an embryo is an individual organism with a distinct identity because you're trying to apply "independent existence" too narrowly. First, there is no difficulty in distinguishing an embryo from a pregnant mother biologically. The embryo has its own genetic identity that is distinct from both of its parents. The embryo is a separate organism in the early stages of development that was derived from both parents, it isn't simply a "part of" the mother even though it is dependent on the mother for nourishment.

Secondly, being dependent an another organism for nourishment doesn't prevent an organism from existing as an "individual" in a biological sense. At the biochemical level even an adult human is not capable of a truly independent biological existence because there are certain biomolecules that need to be synthesised by other organisms and consumed for basic cellular functions. For example, the essential amino acids that cannot be synthesised by humans must be synthesised by other organisms and consumed in the diet. In that sense an adult human does not truly exist in an "independent" manner since other organisms are required for fundamental biological processes. Dependence with regards to nourishment therefore isn't a sufficient criteria for determining if an organism is considered "independent" in a general biological sense.

I'm not interested in any ad hominem attacks on what I think to be flaws in your character here, but I am hoping to simply point out to you that things aren't always black and white. You disagree with cosmetic surgeries based on some definition of normalcy that you've formulated in your 30 odd years on this planet - that's great, good for you. But just keep in mind what's "biologically average" is always just that - an average. Others have differing opinions because their perspective on what's normal/average might be different - which is why I mentioned preferences in my first post. Someone might have helpful doses of intelligence and wit - and this could very well compensate for a gargantuan nose in their experience. Others might not have the right neurobiochemistry to deal with these matters as well as someone else - there are several recent studies that show variations between people and the way they deal with stress. Our phenotypes are a combination of our genotypes and their respective interactions with the environment. Try to keep this in mind. You might believe that difficulties breed strength, and maybe from a Nietszchean perspective, I agree with you - but at the same time, I've seen many who have withered and crumbled under similar or lesser pressures. Judging the respective psyches of people is a bit difficult - unless that PhD in biochemistry has also conferred upon you some lordship over psychological understanding.

The definition i mentioned above is meant to demonstrate what i just spent a long paragraph outlining. There are few absolutes- by the very definition of the scientific method - just theories waiting to be disproven or established as relatively real/true in the experience of budding scientists. The day an apple heads skyward instead of falling on the ground- gravity will take a bit of a hit. (I'm not suggesting this will happen in our lifetime or anyone else's - just that the scientific method necessitates that we keep our minds open to the possibility of such an event). So, if possible, try to keep an open mind to the possibility that other definitions can work too depending on how you deconstruct them. Anyhow...good luck in your endeavors to establish dominion over internet forums.

Regarding the cosmetic surgery discussion, you may have noticed that I stated several times that I do understand the reasons why people get cosmetic surgery even if I don’t necessarily agree with them. I simply explained the reasoning behind my own opinions.

My thought for the cosmetic dermatology/plastic surgery is that,

I agree that the boundary line is as hazy as it can get. Where does the line between normal and abnormal features lie? How crooked should a nose be until someone is "justified" in consulting a plastic surgeon? That question, I will leave aside, cuz I've got nothing!!

But regarding procedures that are carried out solely for the purpose of enhancing physical attractiveness (like how many Asian girls get their eyelids surgeries done), well, in my opinion, those kinds of cosmetic procedures cannot be regarded as "medical treatments" per se. They belong more in the category of esthetics. Like something a beautician would do. A doctor's main goal should be to treat illnesses, not to make people more attractive.

That being said, doctors DO have the responsbility to carry out those cosmetic procedures for people, if so desired. Why? Because it takes years of training and education to be able to carry out many of the cosmetic procedures. You've got to know about the human physiology in depth, and enough practical experiences with human body to carry them out safely and effectively. In other words, only trained doctors are capable of providing those services. If there's a demand for the service and if you can provide it for them, then why not? Everybody's different. What's trivial to one can be the most important thing in the world to another. You've got the ability to do make someone feel more satisfied with him/herself. A doctor's sense of integrity should not be on the trial just because he/she is doing some cosmetic procedures (unless that's ALL they do).

However, that being said..., a doctor should know how to prioritize, meaning that he/she should always put medically urgent matters first. He/she should focus much of their efforts and time into medical procedures (like the reconstructive surgeries), and if there's enough energy and time left at the end of the day, then some cosmetic surgeries on the side.

So regarding doctors who devote most of their time and energy into cosmetic surgeries that improve physical attractives of their patients...., are they really so different from beauticians?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I had this question in interview (University of Montreal, March 2006) last year:

What would you do if you were obliged to exert medicine in a rural context (example Sept-Îles) for your first 4 years of medical practice but if your wife wanted you and the kids to stay in the City of Montreal ?

She's not bringing the food home, so hop we go to 7-îles, that would be my answer lol.

If you are a vegetarian and in serious debt with no money to buy vegetarian food, will you eat regular food? Made me and others I told go WTF for a second.

Posting this question doesn't matter, since Western will have a different scenario for next year...

Since when does regular food (meat) cost less than vegetarian food anyways????:P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another (real) issue I've heard about that could make a good question:

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) is revising

its sexual impropriety guidelines, including the prohibition of intimacy and sexual relationships with friends and family of patients (in addition to patients themselves, of course).

You are a single rural physician in a very small town, so patients, their friends, and their families includes virtually everyone in the area. Do you respect the college's guidelines and live a life of celibacy??

another (real) issue I've heard about that could make a good question:

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) is revising

its sexual impropriety guidelines, including the prohibition of intimacy and sexual relationships with friends and family of patients (in addition to patients themselves, of course).

You are a single rural physician in a very small town, so patients, their friends, and their families includes virtually everyone in the area. Do you respect the college's guidelines and live a life of celibacy??

If I got asked this question, I think I'd have to work hard not to laugh haha...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

What about this one, I have never really liked it from the applicant's side of thing's, though it's not that hard to spit something out, it's a difficult one to absolutely nail:

"If I talked to you in ten years, explain to me what your life would be like."

Archived