Premed 101 Forums

Cool Interview Questions 2007

kaymcee

What were some of the unique and more interesting questions you were asked in your interview(s) this year?

Speed Dating

At the end of my interview, the doctor on my panel looked to the other two interviewers and asked, "Should I ask him the speed dating question?" They both nodded their heads, and she asked, "Pretend that medical school interviews changed to the same format as speed dating: you've got five minutes to convince me you'd be a good doctor. What would you say?"

Remote Community Placement

"Do you think it is ethical to require doctors to spend a pre-arranged amount of time, say three years, in a rural/remote community, not necessarily of their choice?"

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think about doctors in Canada who go into cosmetic dermatology?

I think only Mac and Toronto made us sign a waiver. I don't see why questions from the other places can't be disclosed. Just don't say where you were asked the question if you aren't comfortable. I could have made this one up for all you know!

If you are a vegetarian and in serious debt with no money to buy vegetarian food, will you eat regular food? Made me and others I told go WTF for a second.

Posting this question doesn't matter, since Western will have a different scenario for next year...

If you are a vegetarian and in serious debt with no money to buy vegetarian food, will you eat regular food? Made me and others I told go WTF for a second.

Posting this question doesn't matter, since Western will have a different scenario for next year...

Same question, except mine was for organic foods. I liked that question! Although I don't buy organic foods (I like my 29c/lb bananas) I think I answered this one well!

Same question, except mine was for organic foods. I liked that question! Although I don't buy organic foods (I like my 29c/lb bananas) I think I answered this one well!

Oh yeah, in their question my interviewers used the word "organic food" as well, which gave me an even bigger WTF since vegetarians don't necessary have to eat organic foods. :rolleyes:

I was asked whether I've seen a good movie lately and what I thought about it....now that i think about it, it's a really good question b/c you get to know the person's taste in movies and maybe some personal characteristics. No one would lie about it anyway.

Dude, I hate it when they ask those types of questions. I watch like 2.5 movies a year!

What do you think about doctors in Canada who go into cosmetic dermatology?

I remember asking this very question, rhetorically, in a thread about 1.5 months ago. Wonder if they ever read those forums, haha.:rolleyes:

I think it's kind of a stupid question, really. It suggests that specialties should somehow be prioritized and that, say, a cardiologist or a trauma surgeon is somehow a more valuable product of the medical education system than, say, a podiatrist or the cosmetic derm/plastic surgeon mentioned above. Just because you are not dealing with life and death issues doesn't mean your field of work is useless. You might think acne is not a big deal, but it can have a HUGE negative impact on your quality of life, and similarly can wrinkles.

Then you can start going down the slippery slope and saying that palliative care is a waste of time because they are gonna die anyway, etc, etc.

I remember asking this very question, rhetorically, in a thread about 1.5 months ago. Wonder if they ever read those forums, haha.:rolleyes:

I think it's kind of a stupid question, really. It suggests that specialties should somehow be prioritized and that, say, a cardiologist or a trauma surgeon is somehow a more valuable product of the medical education system than, say, a podiatrist or the cosmetic derm/plastic surgeon mentioned above. Just because you are not dealing with life and death issues doesn't mean your field of work is useless. You might think acne is not a big deal, but it can have a HUGE negative impact on your quality of life, and similarly can wrinkles.

Then you can start going down the slippery slope and saying that palliative care is a waste of time because they are gonna die anyway, etc, etc.

Actually, there is a very imporant distinction here, namely that of cosmetic treatments vs. medical treatments. Since acne is a result of a skin infection it has direct medical relevance and isn't simply a cosmetic issue (particularly with severe acne). Botox injections to remove wrinkles, on the other hand, are 100% useless except for aesthetic considerations and have no business being called a "medical" treatment. Putting acne (a skin infection) in the same category as wrinkles (completely cosmetic) just doesn't make sense. That's why I draw a very clear distincion between medically useful treatments that also have aesthetic results such as reconstructive sugery (reconstructing a damaged jawbone, etc.) vs. purely cosmetic surgery (making someone's nose smaller just because they want it to be). Cosmetic sugery takes a completely normal individual and alters their appearance with no medical rationale. Reconstructive surgery and other types of medical treatments try to restore normal function or appearance. Aside from the techniques being used a physican performing purely cosmetic treatments really doesn't have anything in common with a physician treating actual medical conditions. That's why I have no respect for purely cosmetic surgery even though I consider reconstructive surgery a very important medical field.

I think that cosmetic surgery is still valuable. You are providing a service that has the potential to make many people live their lives with more confidence. I think that assuming that 'purely cosmetic' procedures are 'useless' is not very well thought out...

We define health these days by the biopsychosocial model: our "health" does not just encompass physical health, but psychological and social health too.

If having a smaller nose allows someone to gain the confidence needed to be in a healthy relationship (rather than obsessing to the point that their partner loses interest due to their lack of self-esteem), for example, then I think that it's very reasonable for them to get a nose job. I have no less respect for doctors who provide what some would call 'purely cosmetic' procedures than for those who so open heart surgery...

They are just helping people in another, less tangible aspect of their health.

That's my opinion...but I'm a psych student, so I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from....

I think that cosmetic surgery is still valuable. You are providing a service that has the potential to make many people live their lives with more confidence. I think that assuming that 'purely cosmetic' procedures are 'useless' is not very well thought out...

Actually, it's very well thought out, so I'll explain it more thoroughly. Let's use some hypothetical examples. First, someone goes to a doctor with a broken jawbone. The doctor provides treatment and fixes the problem, thereby restoring normal function. They had a specific medical problem, and the doctor fixed it. There's no dispute here that the doctor was doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

Second example. A person goes to a doctor and wants their nose to be smaller. They don't suffer from any developmental abnormalities that resulted in an unusually large nose, they have no physical deformities or injuries and they have no trouble breathing. They simply want their nose to be smaller "just because". Suppose you're a physician and you have the ability to perform the requested surgery. The way I see it, you've got two main options:

1. Try to explain to the individual that their appearance is completely normal and thereby try to improve their self-esteem without resorting to compltely unnecessary surgery.

2. Perform surgery on a competely normal indivdual with no medical problems simply because they "want to look a certain way".

The first option makes perfect sense since the individual has a completely normal nose. There's nothing to "fix" here with surgery becuse there's nothing physically wrong with the person's apperance. The second option is completely retarded because it involves surgical alteration when no medical problem exists. The root of the problem, namely the low self-image, isn't really "fixed" at all. The person likely still suffers from self-esteem issues since they felt it was necessary to surgically alter themselves simply so they could have a certain type of physical apperance. The underlying psychological problem is still there, so the surgery really hasn't "fixed" or "corrected" anything. In fact, the surgery may have made the underlying problem even worse, because by agreeing to perform the surgery the physician implicitly reinforces the person's misguided idea that there was something "wrong" with their nose to begin with, which simply isn't true. In addition, if a doctor is performing this surgery it means that there is one less doctor available to provide medically necessary treatements, so this also wastes medical resources (which is particularly relevant considering the national shortage of physicians in Canada).

That's why I have such a complete distain for cosmetic surgery. It takes physically normal people who have such a low self-image that they think their only option is resorting to surgery and reinforces their underlying psychological problems. It's basically the equivalent of "treating" someone with anorexia by helping then starve themselves more effectively. In fact, it's rather remarkable that everyone seems to understand that a person with anorexia has an obvious psychlogical problem but so many people refuse to apply the same standards to a normal indvidiual who thinks they need cosmetic surgery to "fix" their appearance when there's absolutely nothing wrong with them.

We define health these days by the biopsychosocial model: our "health" does not just encompass physical health, but psychological and social health too.

If having a smaller nose allows someone to gain the confidence needed to be in a healthy relationship (rather than obsessing to the point that their partner loses interest due to their lack of self-esteem), for example, then I think that it's very reasonable for them to get a nose job. I have no less respect for doctors who provide what some would call 'purely cosmetic' procedures than for those who so open heart surgery...

They are just helping people in another, less tangible aspect of their health.

That's my opinion...but I'm a psych student, so I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from....

The problem with this idea is that the real issue here isn't the person's nose and so the cosmetic surgeon isn't helping to resolve the real issue at all. The real issue here is the person's negative self-esteem/self-image/confidence. So instead of trying to fix the actual problem, which likely requires a considerable amount of time-consuming counselling, the cosmetic surgeon carrries out a 100% unnecessary and medically unjustifiable surgery on a 100% healthy and normal person. This "solution" actually helps to feed the person's problems by reinforcing the idea that someone's normal physical apperance should be altered to fit society's misguided concepts of "attractivness". If the cosmetic surgeon really wanted to help the person they would take the time to figure out why they have such low self-confidence. Instead, they're feeding the person's low esteem issues and carring out unnecessary surgery while pretending to help them. That's why I draw a clear line between a doctor who is actually practicing medicine vs. a cosmetic surgeon who is getting rich from people who have severe self-image problems and have absolutely no need to subject themselves to surgery.

Devari:

I understand what you're trying to say. I personally would not consider cosmetic surgery in the purest sense as a medical treatment, but I would disagree that it is useless.

With respect to your example of the "nose", your argument is that fixing the nose only wrongfully supports the paradigm that the appearance of her nose should matter. You also say that instead, the cosmetic surgeon should help the person find counselling for their self-esteem problems, or something like that.

While this may be true, the fact is that we are judged by our appearances whether we like it or not. Ideally, we shouldn't be judged by our appearances, and moreso, we should not let how others judge us affect our self-esteem. Unfortunately, it DOES happen, and good luck trying to convince people to go through counselling when they can pay for cosmetic surgery instead and physically look better as well.

I agree with you in the strictest sense, but practically, it's not going to happen. We're human, and that's not going to change.

Archived