Premed 101 Forums

No idea where I stand (GPA)

I'm a Quebec resident who is currently studying at UofT. I would "LOVE" to go to a french medical school but the problem is GPA. I have no idea what sort of GPA would be needed.

1.How would somebody with a 3.5 from a Biology major do?

Side not when is the best time to apply. And since I'm an anglo. when do I write the french test?

I'm a Quebec resident who is currently studying at UofT. I would "LOVE" to go to a french medical school but the problem is GPA. I have no idea what sort of GPA would be needed.

1.How would somebody with a 3.5 from a Biology major do?

Side not when is the best time to apply. And since I'm an anglo. when do I write the french test?

well nobody can be certain about the gpa question... your best bet is to try... for the french test.. its once you apply they either ask you to do the french test while they process the application (mtl) or after you get an offer (laval) ...

another thing, how is your french, if you are able to speak/write in french that there shouldnt be a problem, but if you dont speak well that it wouldnt be very useful for you to apply...

• 3 months later...
Sorry to bring the bad news, but 3.5 is not enough. Not in Biology. You would need something like 95% to get in french medical schools.

I don't agree with that....

3.50/4.0 = 3.792/4.333

Using the excel calculator that was mentionned in University of Montreal>Calculate you CRU thread, I could calculate your R score for a Bachelor in Biology according to the force of this program at University of Laval (hopefully, B. Sc. in Biology at UofT would be of greater force than at laval, resulting in a greater CRU).

It's not amazing, but I don't think it's impossible you get accepted on second turn.

Your calculated CRU : 31.685

If you could have 3.53 GPA in Biology, It would give you 31.908 CRU (according to the excel sheet calculator) witch is just enought to be automatically granted acces to the QAS. And if you do well on the QAS (Questionnaire autobiographique Structuré), you can be invited to the interview : APS (appréciation par simulation).

The Laval website mentions : À titre d’exemple, pour les 89 places disponibles aux universitaires à l'Université Laval à l’automne 2006, le dernier candidat convoqué aux évaluations additionnelles avait une CRU supérieure à 31,9, tant pour le premier sous-groupe que pour les candidats de l'Université Laval en changement de programme. Ces résultats sont fournis à titre indicatif puisqu’ils peuvent varier d’une année à l’autre.

(taken from : http://w3.fmed.ulaval.ca/site_fac/index.php?id=1457)

My advice : Paying the application fee could be the best lifetime investment. So apply ! You have nothing to lose (or maybe just 50 $).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

i can guarantee you 3.5/4 does not equal to 3.792.

To calculate your real GPA, get a 4.33 scale converter and calculate your GPA by evaluating each course you have completed by using the number of credits accorded to each class.

For what its worth, a 3.7/4 = 3.7/4.333 (calculate it if you dont believe it)

hope it helped

This isn't true. If you go to a school with a 4.0 scale and get ~95% in a class, you get an A (4.0). If you go to a school with a 4.3 school you get an A+. Hypothetically, a student from McGill who had >95% in all his/her classes would have a 4.0/4.0. That would not get converted to a 4.0/4.3. It would be converted to something much closer to a 4.3. As such, the original estimation would be much more accurate.

Anyhow tmacgirl, apply - it's only $30! Someone from my department got in to Laval Medicine (from the waitlist) with a GPA of just over 3.4/4.0. You won't know if you stand a chance until you apply :)

Best of luck!

This isn't true. If you go to a school with a 4.0 scale and get ~95% in a class, you get an A (4.0). If you go to a school with a 4.3 school you get an A+. Hypothetically, a student from McGill who had >95% in all his/her classes would have a 4.0/4.0. That would not get converted to a 4.0/4.3. It would be converted to something much closer to a 4.3. As such, the original estimation would be much more accurate.

Anyhow tmacgirl, apply - it's only $30! Someone from my department got in to Laval Medicine (from the waitlist) with a GPA of just over 3.4/4.0. You won't know if you stand a chance until you apply :)

Best of luck!

You misunderstood me. If you convert a 3.7/4.0 GPA to a GPA evaluated on the 4.3 scale, it ALSO gives 3.7. That doesn't mean that 3.8/4 = 3.8/4.33, it only applies with 3.7.

You misunderstood me. If you convert a 3.7/4.0 GPA to a GPA evaluated on the 4.3 scale, it ALSO gives 3.7. That doesn't mean that 3.8/4 = 3.8/4.33, it only applies with 3.7.

Ah, I did misunderstand - sorry. tmacgirl, you should still apply, though. And unless I'm mistaken, ULaval medicine does not (yet) require the TFI (French Test)... is that correct?

And unless I'm mistaken, ULaval medicine does not (yet) require the TFI (French Test)... is that correct?

Laval accepts you, and then eventually, you get a letter saying you need to present yourself for a French exam and/or English exam. Whatever result you get, you will be offered to take courses to improve your level. Basically, you have all of your pre-clinical years to get to a certain level. Which you would easily, living in Quebec City and taking all your med classes in French.

In my opinion, it's a much better system than at UdM, where if you're accepted in Med School but fail to get a certain score at their French test, they withdraw their offer or never extend it to you!

• 3 weeks later...
Est-ce que quelqu'un qui a accès à la fiche de calcul de la cote Laval pourrait me dire une GPA de 4.04 sur 4.30 en biologie me donnerait combien?

Merci d'avance!

4.04 sur 4.3 veut dire que t'as une moyenne de A. Donc 32.873 +/- 0.1 d'incertitude(a cause du 0.04 que je prend pas en compte)

To calculate your real GPA, get a 4.33 scale converter and calculate your GPA by evaluating each course you have completed by using the number of credits accorded to each class.

hope it helped

This is all wrong. I had to fight to get the real way that they calculate.

3.5/4.0 = x/4.3 so x = (3.5/4.0)*4.3

This is officially the biggest bullsh!t I have ever seen. There is absolutly no validity in this calculation.

This is all wrong. I had to fight to get the real way that they calculate.

3.5/4.0 = x/4.3 so x = (3.5/4.0)*4.3

This is officially the biggest bullsh!t I have ever seen. There is absolutly no validity in this calculation.

That is not wrong. I don't know what you're talking about but it looks like you're putting words in my mouth by pulling random equations up your butt :). It seems that you didn't understand what i wrote so i suggest rereading it in order to comprehend it better. :rolleyes:

Here's an example from the McGill university.

http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.ca/index.php/GPA_conversion

As you can see,

A- ==> 80-84% ==> 3.7 GPA ( McGill uses the 4.0 scale )

Now if you go to Udem or Ulaval,

A- ==> 80-84% ==> 3.7 GPA ( They use the 4.3 scale or 4.33, a negligible difference )

THIS ONLY APPLIES for people who have 3.7 GPA, you can't generalize it.

As you can see, nothing i said in that post was wrong, you only misunderstood me.

Hope this makes it clear for you and all others.

The problem with converting a 4.0 to a 4.3 is that the 4.3 includes an A+ grade that is not attributed in schools with a 4.0 GPA. Because the 4.3 grade is attributed to A+ while the other grades have the regular GPA weights its impossible to convert a 4.0 to a 4.3 unless you have numerical grades (eg. above 90 is A+). By the way I'm a big fan of the numerical grades... Probably because I had them at Bishop's but they seem to make everything so much easier....

• 10 months later...

Hi,

How much of a CRU does a 3.8 GPA in Arts & Sciences (minor at University of Montreal) give me? I've completed 33 credits. Do I have any chance of getting accepted for the QAS/Interview at Laval? I should also mention I had a CRC of 25 at College Jean-De-Brebeuf :( .

D'abord, avec seulement 33 crédits de fait, je crois que tu n'es même pas admissible (Laval ne considère pas les candidats entre 12 et 75 crédits). Ensuite, 3,8 en Arts et sciences... et un dossier collégial qui compte encore (avec une cote R de 25)... je ne crois pas que tu puisses même espérer une invitation cette année (à UdM ou Sherbrooke). Arts sciences n'est probablement pas très bien classé dans les indices de force. Mais bon, je te dis ça sous toute réserve... le seul moyen de savoir quelle cote ça te donne, c'est de faire une demande d'admission.

Ok guys stop arguing please! Otna didnt say anything wrong!

Its not always that 3,7/4 gives a 3,7/4,3 (in my case, it gave me 3.66/4,3 in laval and 3,67/4,3 in montreal, ok i come from polytechnique)

Check this out:

If you have an A* (4.0 scale) it gives an A+ (4.3/4.3)

If you have an A (4.0 scale) it gives u a A (4.0/4,3)

- A- doesnt exist in all 4.0 scales but if it does it will give an A- (3,7/4,3)

- B+ (3,5/4) gives a B+ (3,3/4.3)

- B (3.0) gives a B (3/4.3)

- under B forget Premed:p

they way they calculate: Like smn else said on this thread: They take each course and see in what school it was taken... lets say u had a B+ in Polytechnique, so u needed a 75% to have it.. well a 75% gives u a B+ in universite de Montreal, so u have a 3,3/4,3!

dont worry, they have charts thats calculate every GPA from a school to another, go to wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(education)

Check the canada grading sclae, search a little, ull find the conversion calculator from McGill and Polytechnique and HEC to universite de laval or montral (difference of ,03 between x.33 and x.30)

Mazaa: je te conseille de appliquer, personnellement je pense que cette annee ne sera pas ton annee, mais tu sauras au moins quel CRL (et CRU) ca te donnera et tu sauras au moins quel programme ils cvont considerer "arts et sciences" a l'Universite Laval.. A Laval, il n'ya pas un programme d'arts et sciences, je pense tu vas etre surpris a cause du programme quil vont choisir pour calculer ta CRU!

Merci pour vos réponses rapides! J'ai appliqué à presque tous les universités à Québec, je tiens vraiment à rentrer en med (avec mes notes "mediocres") cette année sinon jme dirige vers une autre direction! En passant, ca change quelque chose si la concentration de ma mineure fut en BIO et que j'ai une mention d'excellence sur mon relevé?? ou c'est juste de la décoration inutile? :confused:

... ce qui est déterminant, c'est l'indice de force du programme et ta place au sein de ton groupe. Si tu es au-dessus de la moyenne et que l'indice de force du programme est élevé, c'est payant (parce qu'ils supposent que c'est plus difficile de se démarquer, d'où une correction favorable de la CRU). Autrement, il existe une panoplie de conditions qui diffèrent d'une université à l'autre. Par exemple, je te disais que Laval n'admet pas de candidats externes tant qu'ils n'ont pas complété 75 crédits. Sherbrooke va te considérer dans la catégorie collégiale jusqu'à ce que tu aies complété 45 crédits... et Montréal... ben ils vont bonifier ta CRU de 0,5 pts puisque tu as complété plus de 15 crédits chez eux.

Mais en substance, pour med, indépendamment du fait qu'une mention d'excellence soit jolie sur le relevé... si ce n'est pas corréler avec un fort indice de force de groupe... ça ne donne pas grand chose. Idem pour le fait que la concentration soit en bio... que ton programme soit en sciences humaines ou biologiques ne changent que peu de choses. Au mieux, Laval pourrait évaluer ton cheminement avec bio (Ce qui serait à ton avantage)... mais qui me surprendrait énormément puisque tu n'as qu'une concentration, dans une mineure... qui n'est pas une mineure spécifiquement en biologie... enfin, là-dessus, seule l'université pourra te le dire. Finalement, pour compléter mon point sur le fait que c'est l'IFG qui joue un rôle majeur, sache qu'il y a un paquet de programmes à Laval où même avec une moyenne de 4.33/4.33, tu es border pour le cut off (32 l'année dernière). Dans plusieurs autres cas, si tu descends en bas de 4.0/4.33... tu descends également sous le cut off. Mais il y a évidemment des programmes qui ont de bon indice et dans lesquels, si tu t'investis, tu peux envisager avoir une bonne cote!

P.S. Pour t'encourager, dis toi que si tu envisageais faire un autre bac, tu as au moins la chance d'avoir des bonnes notes qui ne te nuiront pas trop dans l'évaluation subséquente de ton dossier.

Bonne chance

Ah bon... je croyais avoir vu quelque part qu'à Sherbrooke, ils prennent ta crc en considération en plus de ta CRU peu importe le nombre de crédits faits à raison de 2% d'importance par crédit ou quelque chose dans le genre. Bref, selon ce que tu viens de me dire, j'imagine que finir mon bac (je suis en 1ère session en Kinésiologie présentement) est mon seul recours si je veux toujours rentrer en med plus tard. J'imagine que j'aurai 0% de chance de faire le QAS?

En kin, tu dois garder au moins une moyenne de A et plus (4,0/4,33) pour espérer passer le cut off pour le QAS (à Laval.. je ne sais pas à UdM à quoi ça correspondrait).

Par ailleurs, en supposant que tu as jusqu'à présent fait 15 crédits en kin (puisque tu es en première année) et 33 crédits en Arts et sciences... ton dossier collégial ne compte plus (48 crédits) dans aucune des universités.

Cependant, la même contrainte dont j'ai déjà parlée s'applique (75 crédits Laval).

Bienvenue dans le monde de la planification "étude med" pour les universitaires.. Ça me fait penser à un gars dont le post avait pour signature qqc du genre "pourquoi jouer à la roulette russe quand on peut faire une demande d'admission en médecine".

Archived