Premed 101 Forums

Path and Pharm Books

I'm looking into buying a review book for path and for pharm and was considering:

Lippincott Pharm

BRS Pharm

Katzung Pharm

BRS Pathology

Goljan Rapid Review

Baby Robbins

I wasn't planning on buying Big Robbins because we have access to it online-is this a mistake? I don't see myself using it often because it is so heavy and I won't be carrying it around. I'm limited on funds and would prefer to buy one review book each for pharm and path if I can get away with it. Thanks in advance :D

My friend had Lippincott's Pharm and I found it to be a pretty good book. Easy to read, nice diagrams etc. I used Katzung and it wasn't too bad either. Although I didn't have the new 10th edition, I was using the 9th. Either way, it did the job quite well although there was a lot more detail regarding each specific drug than we were required to know. You can probably get away with buying either book. The one recommended for us was Katzung so the class notes followed that book closely. I wouldn't consider Katzung a "review" book though.

My friend had a smaller version of Robbins (is that the baby Robbins?) that she used in undergrad. It was word for word, figure for figure = the same! There was, ofcourse, a lot that was left out - relating to specific diseases, but the explanations (eg. how inflammation happens) was all the same. She was kinda upset that she bought big Robbins when she realized the uber similarities. I didn't buy Robbins, I borrowed one from a friend. However, I didn't find *I* used it as much as I could've. It is definitely a great resource though so I'll probably look into buying it in the future. Overall, my class likes the BRS series. I'm sure you can get away with buying BRS since you have access to Robbins online.

Hope this helps.

Archived