Premed 101 Forums

Laptop?

I was thinking about investing in a new tablet/laptop this summer, before starting med1. Is this a good idea, since we'll be relying on e-curriculum & other online resources? I like the idea of a tablet, since I can write in notes directly onto ppt slides while in class. Is wireless/internet access readily available throughout strathcona/mcintyre? any suggestions appreciated. :)

I know forsure that McGIll has wifi pretty much all over hte campus ... especially in McIntyre Med building. If you notices, there were signs near the front entrance with the cool wifi logo.

A tablet is definitely a good idea - most of the stuff will be on ppt so writing directly on the screen vs. printing out all of that is a huge advantage. It really depends on how you are though - a lot of people don't feel comforable enough learning off a computer screen (I feel I do, though). If you're a computer person, I say go for it! Lenovo makes a nice tablet, but it's pretty expensive. Just be sure to get one with an active (instead of passive) screen - supposedly it's tougher to write on the passive screens (which, unfortunately for you, are the cheaper tablets!)

Hello,

Ok so a computer is always a very good thing to have. At McGill, tech resources are amazing. you have Webct, Ecurriculum, Molson projects, Student gateway, VPN system. With the VPN system you basically have access to so many books through the MUSE library system: ex: harrison online, Pathology book, The CELL, Bates book, etc. etc.

However, I must say that a computer is not "a must" especially in med1 and beginning of med2. You will receive those GIGANTIC unit course pack... I think the whole Med1 is like 25 000 pages or something like that, that you pay 800$ as part of your tuition fees. You will also buy some textbooks (but for med1, I only recommend to buy Netter for anatomy, the biochemistry book by Lippincott... and maybe the Moore which is a good textbook). PLEASE, do not buy any histo books! But you'll see we will tell you everything at the beginning of the year...

SOO, just to say, computer is a nice tool to have but it is not essential. You will most probably not bring your laptop in class... very few bring it... and they bring it rarely. So, this was my 2 cents...

By the way, I recommend a laptop if you have to buy a computer, it is just so more practical... I also recommend to buy an Apple (I have a PC... but I just find that there a much better in terms of weight, battery life time and heat dissipation). My computer is Toshiba, which is suppose to be one of the best brand for laptops... and it gets hot in 2 minutes, crash when it works too hard because it is too hot for the circuits... and the battery last maybe 1 hour. :)

Hope it helps,

Gab :)

PS: I think there is wireless everywhere on campus. You also have access to computer everywhere you go (except bathrooms ;)).

You will need access to computer for example to chekc your mcgill email (mcgill med's offical method of communication to students) as well to type up assigments/research stuff for small groups, etc.. You do NOT need to buy a laptop if you have access to a computer at home or elsewhere. I spent the money on a new laptop before starting med I and have brought it to school less than 10 times all year. One person in our class has a tablet (a lenovo) and used to bring it all the time to class but doesn't anymore because it isn't necessary. We are given all the notes we need and powerpoint printouts are usually included in those notes. The only time a laptop is useful is for workin g on assignments/papers before they are due or watching youtube videos in class :P

Gabalt mentioned textbooks. I have to agree with him with his point on NOT buying the histo textbooks. I bought them and wasted the money on them (both are untouched). Please don't go and buy all the textbooks on the list. The ones you need are: Netter Anatomy Atlas, Rohen COlor Atlas of Anatomy (has actual photo's of specimens in the book), Gray's Anatomy or Moore's Anatomy and lippincott biochem. I also found some of the "review" style books helpful. If you have any questions about books or anything atall, send me a PM.

that's some good advice. I really prefer studying off of a computer screen. I write when I study, and I hate textbooks because it's annoying to have paper next to a big bulky book and to write stuff down. I had parts of textbooks on the computer in the past and have found it so much easier to study. It's just me, I guess. If they give you the original powerpoint file, it would be pretty cool to take notes right on the tablet, then you can have them all in one place. Again, it really depends on the person I guess.

Hey,

I agree with everything Miss-Sunshine mentioned. Just one thing, just wait the first 2 weeks before buying anything... after getting the feedback of MED2s and getting a sense of all the resources that you have (internet and computer wise on campus), the curriculum, notes, copie nova material, etc. than you'll have a better sense of what you need to buy.

Gab :)

Archived