Premed 101 Forums

UofM Curriculum

Does anyone know where we can find information about the pre-clerkship lecture content style?

Does anyone know anything about the new webbased curriculum system they are supposed to be implementing?

It's already implemented and it blows a$$. I feel sorry for the class of 2011 for having to use it for 2 full years. At least we got through some of our first year without it.

They actually don't know yet if they'll be using the web based system (CIS) next year. It's currently still a pilot, and they decide in July if we keep it.

With CIS, all the scheduling, calendars, notes, forums, notices, etc etc are all found on one website. Everything is tailored to each individual student. Profs can upload their notes directly so the most recent set is always available.

In THEORY it sounds like a great system. The consensus, however, is that it lacks functionality. It's very convoluted, slow, glitchy, and poorly designed. Personally, I think they should just hire a developer to make our own.

As for the curriculum, I'm sure you've already found this site: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/education/undergraduate/preclerkship.html

Our curriculum has a certain number of lecture hours, tutorial hours, problem based reasoning (PR), and assigned reading hours to meet each block. For lectures, we're all in a lecture theatre and it's purely didactic. For tutorials, the class is divided into smaller groups and we tackle cases- it's more involved learning. In PR, we're in even smaller groups. We're given an initial scenario (eg A woman comes in with chest pain) and we think of differential diagnoses, etc, and after a set amount of time, we get updates on the case. A case usually lasts a couple weeks, and there's usually a twist thrown in. Throughout it all, we're thinking of diagnoses, treatments, outcomes, and learning objectives. There's also a couple other types of things like lecture demonstrations, offsites, etc, but the ones above are the biggies.

Each lecture, tutorial, assigned reading, and PR session has a set list of "Objectives" to met. For example, one objective may be "Describe the pathogenesis and morphology of infarction". It's the material in these objectives that's testable. In addition, each class does "Coops". Each person is assigned a lecture/tutorial/assigned reading, and they're responsible for answering and sending in the answers for its objectives. That way, each person has access to the objective answers.

Overall, I think most medical school across Canada (and much of the States) has a pretty standard curriculum.

I hope that answered your question...

Archived