Premed 101 Forums

Questions about application

Hi everyone, I have 3 questions about U of M application for those of you who just went through it.

1.Do you have to have an undergraduate degree prior to entering U of M. Right now I just finished third year and technically i CAN graduate by next spring but I'm taking the next 2 semesters off to do a coop program, so my graudation is delayed for a year. Can i still apply?

2. We need 18 credits of social science/arts courses. Is this to be completed before application deadline or admissions? And if I have a major I know I can have 12 credits waived, but do I need to have completed my major?

3. Is it true that GPA is only worth 10% of whole scoring proces????? woah!!!!

Thanks so much ><. I e-mailed the admissions people these questiosn but i guess they're still really busy sorting out this years' applican'ts stuff.

Hey thanks so much you guys. I'll go check to see if they'll okay me with deferring admissions because of coop. and stupid arts courses ><. Guess I'll be distant eding them.

And i can't beleive what we've worked so hard for for 4 years is only worth 10% while a 4 hour exam is worth 50% !! what kind of logic is this?? >< :eek:

It's ok if you defer your grad, as long as you're eligible. I was eligible to graduate this May and was accepted, but I'm deferring my actual grad until a later date. You'll just need to send a letter in from your faculty advisor indicating your eligibility (unless you're from the U of M).

if you have 3 year degree, they "forgive" your worst 5 classes (15 credit hours).

if you have a 4 year degree, they "forgive" your worst 10 classes (30 credit hours).

Only if you take a full 30 credit hours every year :P

More precisely...

http://www.umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf

Table A

90 credits completed = drop 15 credits

some stuff in here... basically drop 3 credits for every 6 credit hours taken.

120 or more completed = drop 30 credits

Cannot drop biochem unless you repeated.

Just read up the bulletin :D

Archived