Premed 101 Forums

Studying for MCAT, but have no Physics or Chem background

How much time do you have to study for it? I'd suggest doing at least half the coursework (e.g. physics I and chem I) before going into it. I know someone on another forum who had a ridiculously high GPA and great ECs, so obviously an intelligent and hardworking person, but she only scored a 22 - and yes, she had no pre-reqs. I took my MCAT w/o Orgo II and superficial knowledge of Gen Chem II (I had withdrawn from the course), and got a 10 on BS and 12 on PS. I had studied for 5 months though, 4-6 hours a day on average.

I wrote my MCAT after my first year of University, missing physics, but having just taken all the other sciences. I scored 37R, with my highest section being physical sciences at a 14. I studied for 2.5 months, studying 1.5-2 hours EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I did not take a course. I purchased a large MCAT review book from Princeton Review which really helped me to focus my studies and organize my time. I would do one chapter a night plus any related studying from old notes, text books etc. as I felt I needed to, depending on how unfamiliar the material was. Bottom line, physics can be done even if you don't have university physics, but you HAVE to put in the time. Good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone in the past have written the MCAT w/out phys or chem background. i just wanted to know how well you did and how you studied for these courses.

The only physics course I have taken was one year of high school physics back in the early 90's. I took first year chemistry at the University of Waterloo in 1995. Needless to say, I had very little background. However, I was still able to pull off a 12 in Physical Sciences.

I used the ExamKrackers books (only). I pre-read each chapter, then went back and re-read the chapter. I did the mini-MCAT at the end of the chapter, and finally did the appropriate two mini-MCATs in the 16 Mini-MCATs book. I felt extremely well prepared for the PS section.

Hope that helps.

Elaine

I too am thinking about NOT taking 1st yr physics. I recently upgraded all my high school sciences in prep for this long journey, but the Calc II that I withdrew from is almost killed me. Now, I can't take physics II w/o taking Calc II so I decided not to do it at all. Is this going to be a detriment to me?

From reading some of the replies perhaps not. This would be a good thing so that I can focus on some courses that will score me really high marks to boost my GPA.

Any advice/input would be much appreciated.:o

hey elaine, how long did it take you to study for the mcats. i have about the same background as you, except i only took half of a general chemistry course.

thabks for the feedback

Which time?!?! :)

I started studying for the MCAT in March, on my cruise. I had decided that I was going to re-write (it had been 2 years since I'd written last time), but at the same time, decided I needed a bit of a break and an incentive to study. I figured it was better to be on a cruise ship studying rather than be at home or in a library studying! Seriously - my cruise was my kick off for studying.

I started in mid-March, and studied all the way until my MCAT on May 11. Since I'm a shift worker, I have an average of 2-3 days off per week. I used the Examkrackers 10 week schedule. Initially, I worked through the material for one day on each of my days off. However, for the last month, I started doing 3 days worth of work each day off (as I was running out of days!). I worked through the material, and did the mini-MCATs. I didn't, however, do any full length tests until the day before the exam. I knew that I had to learn the material before worrying about applying it. So, I concentrated on the actual material rather than full-lengths.

As far as a bit more about my background... My science courses are from a significant time ago, and weren't particularly well done then (due to effort, rather than ability). When I returned to university in 2002, I completed a Bachelor of Health Administration in Health Services Management, rather than a science degree. However, I do have a strong physiology background, as I'm an advanced care paramedic. I found that the amount of studying I did was adequate to learn the material. I worked hard, while still maintaining my hours at work and a bit of a social life.

I wish you well in your preparations!

Elaine

Hmm, I seem to be the opposite of the rest of you. I'm doing a BSc in either physics or chemistry, but I have a very small biology background. Although I will take organic chem in the future, I'm not sure if I will EVER take Biology because the first year biology courses I, frankly, can't stand. I mean seriously, Animal Biology, who gives a crap?

Anyway, I'm really concerned about writing the MCAT after my 2nd year (next summer) because I think Biological Sciences will destroy me. Any thoughts?

Hmm, I seem to be the opposite of the rest of you. I'm doing a BSc in either physics or chemistry, but I have a very small biology background. Although I will take organic chem in the future, I'm not sure if I will EVER take Biology because the first year biology courses I, frankly, can't stand. I mean seriously, Animal Biology, who gives a crap?

Anyway, I'm really concerned about writing the MCAT after my 2nd year (next summer) because I think Biological Sciences will destroy me. Any thoughts?

When I prepared for the MCAT, I literally ignored organic chemistry. I learned the difference between SN1, SN2, E1 and E2, as well as some of the lab techniques. As far as the reactions - I didn't think I'd remember them, so I decided to be really sure of my bio instead.

I believe that you can write the MCAT without the course material behind you. I highly recommend the Examkrackers books. They certainly helped me learn the material (ie: not just review it). I didn't use any other materials or textbooks, but learned what they told me to learn. It worked for me.

As far as bio courses - what university do you go to? At the University of Waterloo, you can pick and choose which bio courses to take. I have never taken, nor do I plan on taking, any plant or animal courses. However, I have selected a course in cell bio, one in microbiology, two in physiology and one in embryology for the fall. (I sort of did things backwards - took the MCAT, then am taking the unversity courses that it covers. I decided to do it in that order, rather than writing the MCAT next summer, so that I could have a break during the summer. I'm expecting this year to be very, very busy, since I'll be working full time, coordinating a disaster conference in November, and going to school full time. I figure I'll need the summer to recover!)

Elaine

Responding to the OP, I was a bit of the opposite. I studied Engineering in school, but I had very little bio background (didn't even take Gr 13 Bio). I took a review course through Princeton Review and that's how I learned all the bio for the MCAT.

Like Elaine, I pretty much ignored organic chem, but managed to do okay on bio overall (score 10). If you pick your battles, and study to the appropriate level of detail (Elaine mentioned EK books were good, and I had a good time with TPR), then there's no reason why you can't still do well. This test is more about analyzing what you are given than it is about straight memorization.

Physics tends to intimidate some people, so I would recommend that you tackle it early, get help if you need it FAST, and get over that initial hump so you can concentrate on test-taking techniques. I think my study buddies were the key for me getting through material faster - if you read it and don't get it the first time, get someone to explain it to you so you don't waste time!

Also like Elaine, I took uni courses AFTER the MCAT. I took them at Ryerson's night school (The Chang School of Continuing Education). I would highly recommend this for someone just taking courses for credit. The courses were easy to sign up for and the tests/exams were very reasonable - you are actually tested on things you learn in class. Imagine that!? (I'm a bitter former Waterloo and Toronto student)

Archived