Premed 101 Forums

Moving costs (a lot)

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any idea about what it should cost to move from western canada to ontario. Specifically, from Vancouver to Kingston.

Anybody want to share what they paid for movers? I will be moving a 1-bedroom apartment's worth of stuff.

(of course I realize that most of you are students and don't have a lot of stuff, but there has to be someone out there who has done the big move and has some idea of what it costs)

Cheers!

Not quite the same but it may be helpful...I moved a 3 bedroom household from Oshawa to Edmonton last year, and it cost me just under $9500. About 5 years earlier when my wife moved from Edmonton to Peterborough, it cost her about 2000. I would guess that she moved about the equivalent of a one bedroom apt. So in conclusion, I would be prepared to come up with about $3000 (to cover off inflation and increased gas prices).

SSudS has a good estimate.

A lot of my friends who got jobs in Alberta were given a $20,000 allowance for moving expenses/flights... but most of them just ended up using that money to fly between Kingston and Alberta on weekends for fun.

I don't know how much you have in term of furniture, if its just personal possessions you might want to consider putting everything in boxes and mailing them through Canada Post. When I moved home from Waterloo to Vancouver, the total cost was about $250.

I don't know how much you have in term of furniture, if its just personal possessions you might want to consider putting everything in boxes and mailing them through Canada Post. When I moved home from Waterloo to Vancouver, the total cost was about $250.

When I moved to Toronto from Vancouver, and then back home, I packed about 3 medium sized boxes and used UPS just because they were the only company that would come to pick up the boxes so I wouldn't have to drop them off at some outlet. It was about $100 to ship the three boxes, which I thought was reasonable.

Yeah, the problem is the furniture. We have a lot of nice antique pieces and a couple of big pieces of art. So it's more than just a few boxes. We would just store them (hooray for parents with garages) if this was more temporary, but med school is 4 years, so it is worth taking all the nice stuff with us.

I have a few more quotes now, SSudS was in the ball park. Everything is based on weight so a good number of our books will be staying behind although this makes me die a little inside...

Cheers!

...Everything is based on weight so a good number of our books will be staying behind although this makes me die a little inside...

Cheers!

That was the main thing with my move. My wife and I have about 6 bookcases of books. However, since we weren't planning on going back to Ontario, we bit the bullet and moved them out with us. I know that that got pretty pricey. Good luck with the move!

question...i'm going to be moving stuff to vancouver...i was wondering which moving company you used and what the rates were like? i've checked out canadapost and fedex...the former was around $120 for a 20lbs 50x50x50cm box...the latter was around $80 for the samething...for DHL...i'd have to sign up for an account and didn't feel like doing that.

obviously canadapost if out of the question...but how about DHL and are there any other private companies aside from those big ones that do it for cheap but are also VERY reliable?

In my opinion you get what you pay for. As a life rule, I never buy the cheapest one. Why not call DHL? I'm sure they'll give you the rates if you talk to them.

Moving companies are expensive, and probably only worth it if you have a lot of stuff. Call them, or go to their websites and submit for an online quote. The bigger companies (Tippet-Richardson, AMJ, etc) will assign you a rep, and may even come to look at how much stuff you have to give you a quote. Costs are dependent on weight, but some companies have a flat rate for the first 1500 lbs.

Cheers!

My grand scheme is to drive from vancouver to kingston with all my stuff. I own a big old pickup and I'm planning on buying a cheap cargo trailer. The gas bill is going to be a bit painful, but I think it'll still be the cheapest way.

I don't know how big the trailer will be, but if I have any extra space I'll be sure to let you know.

dh

Archived