Premed 101 Forums

reference letter question

hi,

i was just wondering for the additional page written by the ref, does it need to be in letterhead? or is a normal blank piece of paper okay, along with the referer's signature?

I believe official letterhead (if available) is required. If your referee doesn't have that (maybe someone you volunteered under?) regular paper should be fine.

Be sure to attach the OMSAS referee form along with it though!

I agree that a letterhead should be used if available, but if you're referee doesn't have any letterhead available, I don't see what's wrong with submitting a blank piece of paper. Nowhere in OMSAS application guidelines does it mandate having a letterhead for your reference letters. That being said, a letterhead sure does make your referee seem more "professional", but I don't think whether or not you get into meds will depend on whether or not your referees used letterheads.

I definitely agree that letter head would make the letter look a little nicer, but as long as the reference letter is 'glowing' AND has all the contact information necessary to get in touch with your referee, I'm sure that would be fine! If you are still concerned, you can always contact OMSAS to see what their policy is (although personally having a policy requiring letter head seems a little silly to me)

In the piece of paper you mail your referees, it says "on your usual stationary..." so presumably, regular paper is fine if that's indeed what your referee uses. One of my references has a PhD and used to be a prof, and is now a student, so it's kind of funny to write on the reference sheet, "Dr. X, student at Y school...":D He doesn't have letterhead anymore, obviously.

Archived