Premed 101 Forums

MUN Admission Stats

hi all,

Just wondering if memorial has released admission statistics anywhere...

i.e. # of applicants in province, # of applicants OOP, accepted, rejected, GPA, etc etc

I'm an OOP student considering applying but noticed a small class size (60), and am wondering what the chances are or likelihood of OOP applicants to be successful.

Thanks!

OOPS stats suck for most schools in Canada (except Ontario, I think), but other than the hit to the bank account and your time, I don't think it would hurt to apply. A family friend got into MUN 2 years ago, Ontario resident, and it was the only school that accepted him. I got into U of Saskatchewan this year (also Ontario resident), they only take 6 OOPs, and it was also my only acceptance. My suggestion is to maximize your odds and apply everywhere you're eligible, but that's just my $.02

I'm gonna agree with the above. If you can afford the application fee (and possible plane ticket), go for it.

I got into Dal as an OOP, even though competition was tight this year. 440 applicants for 9 seats. Didn't think I had a shot, tried it anyway, got accepted to my surprise. Same happened with Queen's, even though the competition wasn't as tight since they don't have IP and OOP seats.

The one thing I don't like about MUN's policy is how they state on their website that there is no strict GPA or MCAT cutoff to be considered, when in fact they do have a cutoffs that they calculate after everyone has submitted their application.

But yeah, I guess I'd have to agree with the other posters - even a small chance is better than no chance at all!

i agree with everyone....even though on paper, the odds look practically hopeless, it's definitely worth a shot. I got into MUN this year as an OOP and when applying, I didn't think i had any chance at all given those odds. I was already pretty happy that I made it to the interview stage actually :). In addition to MUN, my other acceptances were to OOP schools (UBC and Alberta, I'm from ontario). I didn't get into my home province schools despite 2 interviews in Ontario - and according to the odds, I should've had a better chance at them. So long story short - apply to the schools that you're interested in! You never know what's going to happen - don't let the odds frighten you away :)

i agree with everyone....even though on paper, the odds look practically hopeless, it's definitely worth a shot. I got into MUN this year as an OOP and when applying, I didn't think i had any chance at all given those odds. I was already pretty happy that I made it to the interview stage actually :). In addition to MUN, my other acceptances were to OOP schools (UBC and Alberta, I'm from ontario). I didn't get into my home province schools despite 2 interviews in Ontario - and according to the odds, I should've had a better chance at them. So long story short - apply to the schools that you're interested in! You never know what's going to happen - don't let the odds frighten you away :)

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats like?

cool, thanks for the help folks...

just have one more question. can someone apply having completed one semester english, then take another english in the WINTER (after submitting app), but that will be done before acceptance/admission if offered.

or does the FULL Year english have to be done before even applying? I've heard for a lot of schools, as long as its done before starting med in the fall... just checking about MUN to make sure.

thanks again :)

I was going to e-mail them, but I figured I'd go to you knowledgeable peeps!

Archived