Premed 101 Forums

osap and tuition questions

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone's OSAP actually been approved? Mine says still waiting for documents, even though I already sent them in. I called my school and they said to be patient. But I don't know how long to wait for *sighs*.

Yeah, mine is still "waiting for supporting documents" even though I physically walked up to my school's financial aid department and handed them in. They can't blame this one on the mail, hehe. I figure they probably process these things in batches or something, and mine has just been sitting in a pile somewhere.

Has anyone's OSAP actually been approved? Mine says still waiting for documents, even though I already sent them in. I called my school and they said to be patient. But I don't know how long to wait for *sighs*.

I got my response back last week. However, I was denied OSAP. I don't know if I received a faster response since I'm not getting any money. I applied sometime before May 20 (don't remember the exact date).

Elaine

I received my OSAP approval recently...I had applied several weeks ago (without a student number, for those that were wondering if no student number would hinder a response)

I got my response back last week. However, I was denied OSAP. I don't know if I received a faster response since I'm not getting any money. I applied sometime before May 20 (don't remember the exact date).

Elaine

my "unofficial" assessment said that i was entitled to "$0" but i still had to get my spouse's car appraised to complete my application... what the heck :(

Elaine did they give you a reason for why they denied you? You don't have to share - I am just wondering if they disclose what makes a person ineligible.

Yeah' date=' mine is still "waiting for supporting documents" even though I physically walked up to my school's financial aid department and handed them in. They can't blame this one on the mail, hehe. I figure they probably process these things in batches or something, and mine has just been sitting in a pile somewhere.[/quote']

I'm in the same boat. I submitted my OSAP application and supporting documents 5 weeks ago and mine is still "waiting for supporting documents". I emailed U of T OSAP staff for confirmation, and they answered everything but my question. When I call, it's always a busy signal. I am a bit frustrated right now.

mine gave me a message saying that my income was lower than they expect (they want you to have 6500, I believe), and they were only asking how I planned to meet expenses, and I just typed in that I would use my LOC.

I took a different approach and explained that I was living with my parents (just for the summer, but I didn't mention that) and they were supporting me. I hope they don't take this to mean that I would still be living with them for the school year! I did check off the "No" button for "Living with parents during school year" but knowing OSAP they might get confused. Argh! I guess I have to spend another 20 min on hold to talk to them again.

My school emailed me today about the whole "how are you supporting yourself on less than 6500 income" thing wanting my bank statements to prove that I have a line of credit. They wanted the last two. Well, I haven't had my LOC long enough to have two... so I sent them the only one I have. And there's nothing on it about my LOC.... I really hope they don't bug me more about that. I REALLY do not like sending out my personal bank statements. I considered blacking out my account number, but I don't want to piss them off.

• 2 weeks later...

Does having/not having/using/not using a LOC affect your OSAP for second year med?

For example, I'm definitely gonna get LOC, but say I don't use it. Would I still get the same amount of OSAP? Like does OSAP care about how much debt you already have? I heard 14k was the max. anyway though.

your LOC will not affect your OSAP, and OSAP doesn't care how much debt you already have. All they care about are your assets (bank accounts, investments, bonds, etc) and your earnings.

The max depends on the number of weeks your school year is. I think it's $350/week max (so 40 week year = $14000 max).

• 2 weeks later...

did you guys apply for a millenium bursary? also i heard (not sure if it was here) that if you get above a certain amount from OSAP loans for the year (not sure how much) the government will reimburse you a portion of money... is this true? could someone clear this up?

Does anyone know how large a difference is allowed between projected income on the application and actual income received? I applied for OSAP in May, and indicated that I'll have a total income of $10,000 for the year, and got an estimate of $13,500. Now sitting at almost eactly $10,000, my employer is asking if I could take on some extra shifts, which will increase my income this year to $12,000. I'm wondering how this extra $2000 will affect my OSAP fundings. Realistically, even with the additional $2000, the OSAP money will still not be enough to cover all my expenses for next year, and I'd like to make a bit of extra income since I'll need it. But I'm just concerned that this may be seen as dishonesty in income reporting and may reduce my OSAP funding. Anybody with similar experiences to share? Is there a certain range within which variations are allowed?

Does anyone know how large a difference is allowed between projected income on the application and actual income received? I applied for OSAP in May, and indicated that I'll have a total income of $10,000 for the year, and got an estimate of $13,500. Now sitting at almost eactly $10,000, my employer is asking if I could take on some extra shifts, which will increase my income this year to $12,000. I'm wondering how this extra $2000 will affect my OSAP fundings. Realistically, even with the additional $2000, the OSAP money will still not be enough to cover all my expenses for next year, and I'd like to make a bit of extra income since I'll need it. But I'm just concerned that this may be seen as dishonesty in income reporting and may reduce my OSAP funding. Anybody with similar experiences to share? Is there a certain range within which variations are allowed?

I don't know exactly how it will affect it if there is a discrepancy between the estimate and the actual amount, but I remember playing around with the Estimator thing, and when I got my pre-study income over a certain amount it was deducting about $0.66 for every extra $1 of income. So i might be cautious about working extra since there's a chance you may be working for a third of your normal wage. But again, I really have no idea how much it will actually affect it.

My school emailed me today about the whole "how are you supporting yourself on less than 6500 income" thing wanting my bank statements to prove that I have a line of credit. They wanted the last two. Well, I haven't had my LOC long enough to have two... so I sent them the only one I have. And there's nothing on it about my LOC.... I really hope they don't bug me more about that. I REALLY do not like sending out my personal bank statements. I considered blacking out my account number, but I don't want to piss them off.

You could probably just get a letter from your bank manager/ financial advisor stating that you have the loan...its a valid source and wont disclose anymore information than they want...

Does anyone know how large a difference is allowed between projected income on the application and actual income received?...

MillerTime is right. OSAP has this rate that is close to 3:2 for income received:funding removed. It's sad, but OSAP actually makes it so that it's not worth working to increase your income, because you end up with a net pay of like 1/3 minimum wage for those hours you put in. At least, if you're in OSOG range where that extra OSAP funding comes in grant form.

I'm worried because my school gives out $3500 bursaries in first year to students who get OSAP. This $3500 will have to be declared as income, and will probably result in OSAP reducing my funding by about $3000, which is ridiculous, since we all know that OSAP doesn't even cover our tuition costs as med students, yet they still seize every opportunity to revoke part of your funding.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I have a question, being new to OSAP.

A sort of "receipt" came in the mail today stating my loan amount (which I just got deposited) and beside that there is a "monthly payment" and an amount listed.... I thought the government paid that interest during schooling???

So, why is there an amount listed there? Just for my information? I assume they will not be deducting that out of my account each month... I hope.

You pay nothing until your out of school. If they start taking any money out of your account hit up fin aid and figure out what the problem is.

Yeah, that's what I've been told, so I was just wondering if its normal for your "confirmation of account info" sheet to list the "estimated monthly payment" amount next to the "amount owing" column (even if the govt is paying it for you during school)? Maybe that's just the estimated payment on that amount for when I'm done school ? If that number shouldn't be there, I guess I'll have to give them a call.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived