Premed 101 Forums

osap and tuition questions

Does anyone know ways to get OSAP to speed up their processing? I'm currently screwed out of my money because OSAP refuses to update my file for some reason.

I'm at an OOP school and they screwed up my program information sheet, stating that I'm in year 1 of a one year medical program (!) when I'm currently in second year. OSAP is taking this as a sign that I failed my previous year and is now requesting supplemental documentation. I got it cleared up with the school on my end and they refaxed a revised program info form but OSAP refuses to update my file. I called OSAP up and they just said that the fax could've arrived but they don't care because they're "busy" and told me to get the school to fax the form again with a note saying "Attn: Victoria" to make sure it gets to the right person. I got my school to do that over a week ago and there's still no update on OSAP's website.

I'm sitting here almost 2 months from the date I originally submitted my OSAP documents with no money left and rent looming on the horizon. Is there anything else I can do aside from calling OSAP up and yelling at them to get off their lazy asses? Maybe drop the names of some supervisors I want to talk to? I need HELP guys.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OSAP is terrible that way. My sister had an error on her application once which they never fixed and it had her out of a couple thousand dollars.

The only advice I can give is to keep your school up to date on the issue. Maybe your financial aid advisor can help you out and put a bit of pressure on them?

Also, school's normally have short term loans and such for cases such as these where you don`t have funds for rent etc. So at least that saves you worrying about that until things get sorted out.

The idea of giving up or just accepting OSAP's incompetence just seems wrong. It feels like I'm letting a bunch of lazy government employees win by just laying down and surrendering. The idea of getting the school more involved in this seems reasonable, since they were the ones who screwed up in the first place. I'm definitely going to do that if I can't get through to OSAP myself but it just seems that the people at OSAP are so rude and completely incompetent and I can't stand it. Does no one know any names I can drop in talk to the front line OSAP grunts to make sure their higher-ups know about this? Maybe write my MP to get some momentum going?

• 8 months later...
I am an Ontario resident who will be studying at an OOP school this fall. How will my OSAP loan be affected if my parents' car is transferred into my name?

My understanding is that if the car is worth more than 5000 you will have an issue. I have heard you can appeal that a bit raise the amount (10,000?) but that is a bit of a pain of course :)

Why are they transfering ownership? Likely for you it is better if it is in their name.

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I heard as well. They were thinking of transferring the ownership to me so that I could get the vehicle license/registration myself without requiring them to leave Ontario (I am not sure, but it might need to be done in person by the owner of the vehicle). If you or anyone else can clarify this, I would appreciate it very much! Perhaps I can explain to OSAP that I am just transferring ownership for this reason. Don't know if they'll believe me or not.

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I heard as well. They were thinking of transferring the ownership to me so that I could get the vehicle license/registration myself without requiring them to leave Ontario (I am not sure, but it might need to be done in person by the owner of the vehicle). If you or anyone else can clarify this, I would appreciate it very much! Perhaps I can explain to OSAP that I am just transferring ownership for this reason. Don't know if they'll believe me or not.

Not sure if they would care, it really is a simple computerized calculation. You can appeal it though of course :) How much is the car worth approx?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well on the OSAP application, it asks for assets as of the date 16 weeks prior to your start date (May 13ish probably). So as far as the instructions go, you should have indicated that date. You could give your financial aid people a call (at the university you're attending) and ask them what you can do to make a correction to your application. Another thing i just noticed yesterday is that OSAP states the following as part of the application:

"You must inform your financial aid office or the ministry, in writing, if there is a change to any of your assets from 16 weeks before the start of your study period until the end of your study period. In order to verify assets, the ministry may also contact any persons or bodies, including government bodies within and outside of Canada, that may have information about your assets."

So I haven't really figured this out exactly yet, but I can assume that it is to make sure that if people gain a significant amount of assets over the year that they will need to report them to OSAP and have their info updated. But I was thinking that it should work the same way if your assets decrease since that may 13th date, and that they should reassess your file based on it too. But I'm not sure what they would do if you wrote them telling them you now have no/less assets. I've asked the question on another forum to see if anyone knows and will let ya know if i get any good answers (link to that forum/thread - http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324149&page=79 )

(FYI, I haven't finished applying yet, however my assets on May 13th are very significantly different than they are now, so I'm trying to figure out a similar situation)

Hey MillerTime,

How did this end up working out for you with OSAP? Were you able to be assessed with lower assets after May 13th? If so, how did you go about it? Thanks.

Archived