Premed 101 Forums

Medical Schools with most emphasis on Research?

Hi all,

I have a strong research background with a MSc and am currently finishing my PhD and am thinking of applying to medical school. Does anyone know which schools places the most emphasis on research and graduate studies. I think, U of T, puts some weight for research, but I'm not sure about the other schools.

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks!

I meant both I guess - Which medical schools make research and graduate studies a priority for admissions and which ones have a strong research program. So UBC, McGill, McMaster and UofA have strong research programs while UofT and UofOttawa have graduate review policies for admissions - Are they the only ones?

Thanks again!

Memorial kind of has one, although there is no official title for it. Here's the FAQ for it:

Q27. Is there an MD/PhD program offered?

A. The opportunity exists for medical students to pursue both a clinical and research training program (ie. MD/PhD). Medical students may apply through the Offices of Undergraduate Medical Education and Research/Graduate Studies for this program. Please refer to the University Calendar for additional information.

I'm not going to hunt through the calender though.

Yes, it seems that U of T places the most emphasis on research in terms of admissions, which also happens to be my first option since there are a couple researchers who are in my field there that I would be interested in working with if I ended up there.

My second choice of school would be UBC, with whom I had an interview with before entering my PhD, but I heard that research experience doesn't play a large role in the admissions process there.

Archived