Premed 101 Forums

Official 2008 Interview Invites

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, Case Western, I can't believe it! I applied there by mistake...I thought it was bottom tier, but then started getting a hunch that the idea was wrong once I got to the mandatory research essay on the secondary...but submitted anyway, only to find out that it's a top 20! I can't believe I got rejected by Penn State and invited to an interview by Case! What a crapshoot!

STOKED!

Congrats on the Case interview. When are you interviewing?

I dunno yet....have to call this Friday. How far down the road were the dates they gave you as choices? I'm gonna be kind of swamped with school for about 4 weeks starting this weekend, and I'm worried about having enough time for interview prep and suit shopping...but don't wanna interview TOO late, either.

• 1 month later...
For those who are interested (KennethToronto) this is my MDApps. http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=9204

It's not really complete, since I don't remember the dates for everything. I should probably also tally up my application expenses, that'd be a good laugh.

Haha, I tallied mine up, $4000 without counting the interview stuff. I should add the interview expenses.:D

For those who are interested (KennethToronto) this is my MDApps. http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=9204

It's not really complete, since I don't remember the dates for everything. I should probably also tally up my application expenses, that'd be a good laugh.

thanks for pointing me out alex haha.

let's hope that long list turns into invites and acceptances soon.

nice md apps kennethtoronto...seems like you're doing really well already! i prefer not to broadcast specifics, but i ended up applying to 14 MD/PhD or MSTP programs in the US (and to 5 Canadian MD programs with the plan to transfer into MD/PhD after my first year, especially if it's Toronto or McGill), and have 11 invitations for interviews so far, 1 rejection and still waiting for 2 to respond. if you want details or reviews of interviews, PM me.

i love how the official interview invites thread is 4 pages long, still with no actual list of interview invites :).

Don't mean to Hijack the thread, but this question is directed to the frequent posters here: how did u guys choose which schools to apply, which schools are your number 1 choices, and how do you guys think you will chose which schools to attend besides location, tuition, eligibility? More specificaly,how does one go about to assess a certain medical program? what makes a program good or bad? I heard USNews really isnt reliable, and med school sites will give likely a bias view, so what is the most reliable and objective source?

I thought of maybe looking at affiliated schools and seeing if that would give you good clinical exposure (ie SUNY upstate is affiliated with NY region's only level 1 trauma) but what else would u guys be looking at?

for MD/PhD, i obviously looked for top schools (at least in top 40 of USNews Rankings, and preferably in top 20) that provided funding for international students. some schools just have more money to spend. for MD only, US schools are expensive and for MD/PhD, the programs are almost decade-long investments into a career in academia, so the school DOES matter. schools with better programs, training and prestige will open many more doors come time for residency. location is an important feature, and so is distance from canada and family in canada. the medical school curriculum is also an important feature - are they traditional? flexible? etc. what will best fit your learning style? and finally, and most importantly, is the personal fit and your happiness at that school and fit with students and faculty members and the general mission of the medical school. this can only be learned during visits (i.e. interviews and second visits) and differs for everyone. when you have a good fit, you'll feel it, and that really is the most important, because med school IS the start of your career, and there is nothing better than starting off well.

oh sorry, should have read your question more carefully...you were asking about more specific things...

well here are a few...

1) clinical experience (does it start first year? will they give you good mentors and preceptors? is there good caseload? are there good training hospitals?)

2) student success (how well do students do on the USMLE exams? where are students matched after graduation (VERY important)? how much do students publish?)

3) curriculum (are there lectures? PBL? do they fit your learning style? will you have time to do things that you want (start a free clinic, do international medicine, do research? do you prefer pass/fail or grades?)

4) personal fit (are the students happy there? would you like to study and hang out with the people there? are the administrators helpful? are the program directors helpful?)

haha, no, that's not my mdapps...it's my friend's (a41).

And yes, from your PM, you're definitely doing very well! I didn't know you were doing MSTP. Are you a US PR?

Ken's is better than mine anyways.

As for Alastriss' question, toffeetree pretty much nailed it on the head. I have family in the US, so proximity to them is also important to me. Although schools' websites are biased, they can be helpful in getting a sense of the school. Take everything with a grain of salt (see: Queen's student village)

Also, don't apply to as many schools as I did.

Archived