Premed 101 Forums

Official 2008 Interview Invites

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been here in a very long time. Now, I'm in need of some answers please.

I have an interview at SUNY Downstate on Nov 28th-- roughly 3 weeks. I've looked up flight prices at expedia.ca, but everything is damn expensive-- the most reasonable is 430$ for a return ticket to NYC and back.

Can anyone please give me some tips about finding cheap flights. This will get very expensive soon. SDN doesn't really have much on this for Canadian students. Thanks very much.

GLuck to all of us.

Guest IHateNerds

Assuming if you were from Ontario you can just drive there.

If not, try WestJet Airlines they are pretty cheap. Other than that, I haven't been on anything else, except for Air Canada Jazz.....

Sorry, I know I didn't help much really...

I haven't been here in a very long time. Now, I'm in need of some answers please.

I have an interview at SUNY Downstate on Nov 28th-- roughly 3 weeks. I've looked up flight prices at expedia.ca, but everything is damn expensive-- the most reasonable is 430$ for a return ticket to NYC and back.

Can anyone please give me some tips about finding cheap flights. This will get very expensive soon. SDN doesn't really have much on this for Canadian students. Thanks very much.

GLuck to all of us.

Driving is your best bet of minimizing costs. Especially since petrol is cheaper in the US and with the favourable exchange rate, it makes the costs almost manageable.

The other option is to consider taking the train (Amtrak etc)

Driving is your best bet of minimizing costs. Especially since petrol is cheaper in the US and with the favourable exchange rate, it makes the costs almost manageable.

The other option is to consider taking the train (Amtrak etc)

Hmmm... Even though NYC is about 8hr drive, it just really isn't happening. Pitty. I guess I'll be taking a plane.

I thought about getting a ride to syracuse and flying in to nyc from there ($160 only), but whatever.

How much was your flight to Cleveland, Kenneth? I'm assuming a bit cheaper than mine, since you're closer to that part of the US...but man, that $620 put a serious dent in my pocket! Driving was obviously not an option, it's a 2-day drive.

Cleveland is only 4.5 hour drive or so from Toronto!

Hmmm... Even though NYC is about 8hr drive, it just really isn't happening. Pitty. I guess I'll be taking a plane.

I thought about getting a ride to syracuse and flying in to nyc from there ($160 only), but whatever.

Ya, the drive from Toronto to Cleveland is fast. The people on I-90 and I-190 like to really push the speed limit. I still don't understand why the Peace Bridge has a $3 toll whereas the Queenston-Lewiston bridge just a few miles north is free.

8 hour drive isn't so bad. I just did a 12 hour drive from Toronto to Charlottesville, Virginia. Amazing scenery and it just *seems* long distance driving in the US is easier than Canada (maybe the scenery is more interesting). Hook your ipod to the car radio and you'll be set.

Cleveland is only 4.5 hour drive or so from Toronto!

Urgh, why do I have to live in a sh!thole! There are no medical schools that accept Canadians within a day's drive of me. I think U of Minnesota is the closest one out of all the schools I applied to, and that's a 1.5-2-day drive, so if I get an interview there, I'll be flying. I hope to interview there, since almost all of my friends still live in the Twin Cities! Of course, their applicant pool has jumped 20%, ESPECIALLY OOS because of their innovative 6-year part-time curriculum...dammit.

I'd get a ride to Syracuse....what's that, like $100 for splitting the gas both ways, at most?

I'd get a ride to Syracuse....what's that, like $100 for splitting the gas both ways, at most?

I really looked into it but it's just not going to work out-- I can't get a ride. Also, my parents wouldn't let me take the car on my own. They're more prepared to shell it out.

Hey Jochi,

when were you complete at UMinn? I completed just before Oct 15, but I still haven't heard anything :S

Urgh, why do I have to live in a sh!thole! There are no medical schools that accept Canadians within a day's drive of me. I think U of Minnesota is the closest one out of all the schools I applied to, and that's a 1.5-2-day drive, so if I get an interview there, I'll be flying. I hope to interview there, since almost all of my friends still live in the Twin Cities! Of course, their applicant pool has jumped 20%, ESPECIALLY OOS because of their innovative 6-year part-time curriculum...dammit.

GLuck to all of us.

have you looked into greyhound? i used to take the greyhound a lot from around NYC to toronto. it's a 10-15 hour ride (not to mention a bit sketchy at the NYC terminal), but cheap. overall, i think it's a safe and convenient option if you have the time and energy to take a loooong bus ride.

have you looked into greyhound? i used to take the greyhound a lot from around NYC to toronto. it's a 10-15 hour ride (not to mention a bit sketchy at the NYC terminal), but cheap. overall, i think it's a safe and convenient option if you have the time and energy to take a loooong bus ride.

thanks for your input toffeetree. I've actually already booked a flight to NYC for 320$. My parents wanted me to do it so I was like "if you say so".

thanks all the same....

One other thing...

I'm flying to NYC (direct flight) the night before the interview. I'm a bit concerned that the flight might be delayed or canceled, as this can sometimes happen with small flights.

Has anyone ever had this issue when flying for interviews? Would it be better to fly two days before the interview rather than just one. I am not a frequent flyer so I dont know the deal with airlines. Oh, its Air Canada.

Archived