Premed 101 Forums

Question about whether marks reflect academic performance..

Guest giantcactuar

Guest giantcactuar

When would one answer "no" to this question? I don't think some of my mark reflect my possible academic performance but i'm not sure what justifies this response.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I think that the idea of the question is for someone who has had something beyond their control affect their marks (ie: illness, surgery, accident). Example: I knew someone in my program who had an A average in her 2nd year, but then developed a cyst that had to be surgically removed halfway through her 3rd year. She suffered complications from the surgery, got very sick and was so drugged up on painkillers that when finals came around, she could barely study for them. As a result, her average for 3rd year dropped to a B+. In her 4th year, all was well and she finished with an A average again.

I think something like that warrants a 'yes' to the question about the not reflective of true academic ability on the OMSAS app. As for your marks not reflecting your true academic performance, well, I think that there's a lot of us out there who have had our marks drop over a tanked final or two- I know that I have and I still smart about it. I don't know what's happened in your case; it may be more legitimate than what I've outlined above.

Unless it's something beyond your control affecting your academic performance, I wouldn't recommend answering 'yes' to that question, but that's just my opinion. Anyone else?

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest Ian Wong

I'd agree with Tim. If there have been circumstances outside your control that have impacted your marks, I think that is what the spirit of the "Academic Ability" clause is stating.

Some examples off the top of my head would include being a single parent or having to work full-time while taking courses, personal tragedies/disabilities, having a huge time commitment outside of school (eg. high level athletics training), low grades from a long time ago supplanted by really good grades at present, etc.

Of course, you could tick the box for other reasons; it's just a question then of whether they would accept your explanation.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived