Premed 101 Forums

UWO GPA and MCAT post-interview

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been asked a million times before, but it didn't seem clear to me in the FAQ.

So post-interview, Western makes offers of admission based on:

50% - Interview

25% - GPA

25% - MCAT

Is this right?

Just a question...... so a 4.0 GPA is automatically a 25/25?

And I'm guessing an algorithm is used to automatically covert any MCAT score to one out of 25?

Does this also mean the 300 word essay is not used much, or part of the interview score maybe?

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been asked a million times before, but it didn't seem clear to me in the FAQ.

So post-interview, Western makes offers of admission based on:

50% - Interview

25% - GPA

25% - MCAT

Is this right?

Just a question...... so a 4.0 GPA is automatically a 25/25?

And I'm guessing an algorithm is used to automatically covert any MCAT score to one out of 25?

Does this also mean the 300 word essay is not used much, or part of the interview score maybe?

Honestly? I thought after the cutoffs it was interview, essay, and references that determined your acceptance..so the mcat and gpa come back??

Apparently, the essay is used pre-interview. If you read all the stuff on their website, it claims that the interview is not automatic if you pass the cut-offs, and that the essay is used for that. However, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone making the cut-offs and NOT getting an interview.

But yeah, I dunno how they calculate the 25% scores. I remember someone on here telling me that passing the 3.7 cut-off already gives you 19/25, but that seems kind of hard to believe - you could only have a 2.35 GPA and yet make their cut-off with 2 years of straight Ds and another of straight A-ses, and suggesting that there are only 6 points of variation between a 2.35 and a 4.0 seems a little strange. It'd imply that cumulatives within 0.25 of each other (e.g. 3.5 and 3.75) would be falling under the same category...so I don't know how much I trust that info.

I interviewed at Western last year but was waitlisted and ultimately did not get in. My understanding of the post-interview selection is as follows:

50% Interview Score

25% MCAT (VR and WS only)

25% GPA (Best Year GPA) - i.e. to be fair to the applicants who have 2 years above the cutoff and received an interview and those that receive an interview with only 1 year above the cutoff.

This determines the final ranking and offers are made accordingly. And I think meeting the cutoffs gets you 17 or 18/25 for GPA (not sure where I got this number but it sounds very familiar).

What all of this says is that post-interview, interview is the factor that will ultimately decide whether you get accepted or not as 1-2 point edge that someone might have on the MCAT or GPA can easily be gained or lost in the interview. As for references, I believe as long as your referee checks off that box that says you'd make a good physician, your good to go as far as Western is concerned.

Hope this helps!

Given that admission to medical school is highly competitive, all aspects of the application process, including the essays, should be taken seriously. Since most candidates have highs GPAs and MCATs, a strong personal statement can make the difference between getting into medical school and falling just short.

Good luck!

Given that admission to medical school is highly competitive, all aspects of the application process, including the essays, should be taken seriously. Since most candidates have highs GPAs and MCATs, a strong personal statement can make the difference between getting into medical school and falling just short.

Good luck!

Hahahaha. Man, I love that guy.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Reminds me of some scam on SDN where this guy was selling books about "how to get into medical school" a while ago....a bunch of people fell for it, bought the book, and then they got it - it was printed on pretty much toilet paper and every page had one enlightening tip such as "GET GOOD GRADES. GRADES ARE VERY IMPORTANT IN MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSIONS."

*snort*

Anyway, turned out, that guy had pulled off some other scams and the FBI nailed him...:D Some SDNers had to testify! :eek:

I interviewed at Western last year but was waitlisted and ultimately did not get in. My understanding of the post-interview selection is as follows:

50% Interview Score

25% MCAT (VR and WS only)

25% GPA (Best Year GPA) - i.e. to be fair to the applicants who have 2 years above the cutoff and received an interview and those that receive an interview with only 1 year above the cutoff.

This determines the final ranking and offers are made accordingly. And I think meeting the cutoffs gets you 17 or 18/25 for GPA (not sure where I got this number but it sounds very familiar).

What all of this says is that post-interview, interview is the factor that will ultimately decide whether you get accepted or not as 1-2 point edge that someone might have on the MCAT or GPA can easily be gained or lost in the interview. As for references, I believe as long as your referee checks off that box that says you'd make a good physician, your good to go as far as Western is concerned.

Hope this helps!

If thats true about the MCAT thats absolutely retarded... firstly if your going to look at a standardized test then you've got to consider all sections... you can't jsut pick and choose.

Secondly if you are going to pick and choose how the hell can you pick essay writing and verbal over sciences? silly.

Good luck!

i find it really annoying... at first I thought he/she was posting helpful information and including some advertising in his signature...totally cool... but it seems that more and more of his answers are just spam, meaningless or repeating what has already been said...

i find it really annoying... at first I thought he/she was posting helpful information and including some advertising in his signature...totally cool... but it seems that more and more of his answers are just spam, meaningless or repeating what has already been said...

SDN doesn't let you advertise your businesses or revenue-generating blogs in your sig, and if solicitors like this come, they get banned pretty quickly. I wish p101 was like that.

But then again, if you come to pimp your for-pay advice somewhere where that advice is free, you're probably not the brightest bulb in the box anyway. And whoever chooses a paid consultant over Google and this free forum falls in the same category, IMO. As the Russian proverb says, "two shoes make a good match!"

haha it beats luxman266's sorry attempts! In all fairness tho, Med tips did answer a question of mine about confidential assessment forms by directly quoting the ouac website, but answered it nevertheless!

hahaha luxman is the best! is he still around? i check the mcat forum every few weeks just to get a laugh out of that ongoing thread!

I agree that MED TIPS has been quite helpful, but it increasingly seems that his advice is becoming less helpful and more posting for the sake of posting to advertise the link at the bottom of his name...

Archived