Premed 101 Forums

trying to find a path to med school

Hello,

I'm thinking about going to med school, and im looking for opinions and ideas on where to finish my undergrad and the best way to approach getting in.

I understand that there are certain 'pre-reqs' to some med schools, but many others have none or not many... so its a good idea to take a program in which your GPA well be at its best (correct me if im wrong). Currently I have completed 1 year of a Bachelor of Applied Health Science.. inlcuding classes in physiology, anatomy, psychology, biomechanics, nutrition etc... the program is very specialized so i'm considering getting into a more main stream biological science or health science program (or others that may work). My GPA for the year is around 3.8, and I guess I would be transfering the year of credits and completing 2-3 years in a new program, at which point I would apply to med school with a completed or partially completed degree and my GPA's from both schools ?

Personally, i'm not to fond of math, or physics/chemistry (I dont have high school credit for any math, however I do have both physics and chemistry and 4 more OAC/4U credits). However, I absolutely love biology, physiology, and all things related. Keeping this in mind for my program choice, what do you guys recommend doing ? Any cool programs out there with no math req, or minimal content ? Im in Ontario, but i'm willing to relocate to BC/Alberta.

Thanks! As many opinions or ideas as possible!

23 is a mature student? Yikes, that means I'm over the hill at 35 ;). (just started med this year).

Do what you really enjoy. It sucks to have to plod through courses you hate and you likely won't do as well.

Physics courses will help with the mcat, but I know of people who've never taken physics courses still do well on it. Also, check into the individual schools. Some GPA's are calculated using ALL courses, including summer, but some don't count summer courses in GPA's, but they will count for prerequisites, so if physics isn't your strong point, take it in the summer. All the schools across the country have different requirements, some with prereq's, some without, some with physics, some without, so it's a matter of checking out each schools' websites. Macmaster, Ottawa U and Northern Ontario are the only schools that don't need the MCAT.

It really matters little which school you go to except to establish residency. For instance, if you are a full time student for at least two years at an insitution in Alberta, you can apply as an Alberta resident to the U of C. The same is true at UBC for BC students. To apply as a U of A resident, you must have lived in Alberta for at least one year before the application is made.

In terms of classes, I would take the basic classes to cover your bases. As a resident of Ontario, you are lucky that there are some schools that don't require hard and fast pre-requisite classes (U of T (very flexible), Ottawa, and Queens (Queen's are quite flexible too) do. McMaster, UWO, NOSM don't).

I'd suggest taking:

Full year Biology

Full year Chemistry

Full year Physics (take in the summer if need be, but it'll help with the MCAT)

Full year English

Full year Organic Chemistry

Full year of Biochemistry

Half year of Statistics

That should cover you as far as pre-requisites go at most schools. It is better to do that than find you fall short one class. Other than that, study whatever you like because that is what you're most likely to do well in.

You might want to attend the U of A or U of C because then you could apply as an Alberta resident to those schools and an Ontario resident to those schools. You could live in BC and apply as both a BC and Ontario resident

• 1 month later...

you could be completing a bachelor of basket weaving science and nobody would care. You seem to have a great gpa (is that with a full courseload??) and you are taking courses that are very relevant... what do you have to worry about? and i don't understand why you are transferring? you don't like the program?

Archived