Premed 101 Forums

Honours Degree?

Seeking a little clarification regarding the following

“ Effective for Fall 2006, applicants must have a COMPLETED 4 YEAR HONOURS UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE in any discipline to be eligible for admission. UWO will NO LONGER accept applicants with three years of university or general undergraduate degrees. There will be NO pre-req courses required. An 'honours' degree is interpreted to mean: "a 4 year degree program in which, on completion, the student can continue in an MSc or MA program directly without completing additional coursework". *A minimum of two years of this degree must have been completed on a full-time basis (5.0 full or equivalent credits (10 half credits/30 credit hours) between Sept-April). “

I am finishing up a B.Sc. Math with a minor in Physics. I did not choose the honour stream. However, I can directly go into a MSc. program w/o completing extra course work.

Do they mean that you graduate with honour standing or with an actual BSc Honours. At my school (UBC), I picked the B.Sc. Mathematics because it was a lot more flexible than the B.Sc. Hon. Mathematics which REQUIRED me to take some hardcore math courses. I did not want to take these courses because I decided that math grad school isn’t for me. Arrr… I get the feeling I am screwed :confused:

E-mail them...I asked and they said all that was necessary was for my degree to be sufficient to enter a master's program. Now, how you are supposed to figure out whether it is sufficient is a whole other issue (what do you do, apply to a master's and check whether you get accepted? :rolleyes: ). But I'm 100% sure you don't have to have an Honors degree to enter a master's program.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't go by what I've read here in this topic...Just because you can enter in a Masters in Physics, isn't by default going to allow you to get in, and I don't think they will look at a letter from the department.

It would be best to call them, or if your at UWO, pop your head in and ask the secretary.

I'm almost confident they only take honour degrees, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
I wouldn't go by what I've read here in this topic...Just because you can enter in a Masters in Physics, isn't by default going to allow you to get in, and I don't think they will look at a letter from the department.

It would be best to call them, or if your at UWO, pop your head in and ask the secretary.

I'm almost confident they only take honour degrees, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

As I mentioned above, I was told by UWO specifically that the actual "Honors" designation is not required, and it's only a matter of whether you can enter a master's program with the degree.

• 1 month later...
As I mentioned above, I was told by UWO specifically that the actual "Honors" designation is not required, and it's only a matter of whether you can enter a master's program with the degree.

maybe this is a silly question... but is that ANY masters degree? I completed my M.Sc in London (England) although my B.Sc was not honours. Is there any distinction between graduate studies overseas or in canada?

If someone could please clarify... :confused: thank you!!

maybe this is a silly question... but is that ANY masters degree? I completed my M.Sc in London (England) although my B.Sc was not honours. Is there any distinction between graduate studies overseas or in canada?

If someone could please clarify... :confused: thank you!!

I would recommend calling the staff that work in admissions. They would be the best to discuss your own situation.

Archived