Premed 101 Forums

For current UO Medstudents-What else is needed in addition to above cut-off GPA?

Hi,

For the students who got into UO in previous years, what types of EC activities did you have in addition to the required GPA? What were some of the things that you did to increase your chances of getting an interview/admission? B/c I understand that UO requires a certain GPA cut-off, but what else do you think helped you in getting an interview? I will be applying next year and based on my understanding, having a good enough/above cut-off GPA does not guarantee an interview for this school.

Your help/response is greatly appreciated,

cheers

I think this topic has been covered pretty well in previous posts... If you spend a bit of time reading, and also check out the OMSAS document, you'll have as good of an idea as anyone else...

The general consensus is that there's no magic formula. You need 1) to meet the cutoff 2) to meet the pre-reqs 3) To have good ec's (generally an undefineable concept) and, last but not least, 4) to be lucky.

Ottawa's big on ec's, that may be one thing that sets it appart... so you have to show you had a generally balanced life and didn't spend your entire undergrad burried in books :)

Other than that, no one knows!

haha...that is exactly my point, the EC part is so vague...that is why I want to get a feeling that what sort of EC's accepted ppl had...the posts for accepted/rejected/waitlisted have not been updated for almost 2 years...so, what is the new deal....What was the profile of last year accepted students? that is what I want to find out

thanks

I think this topic has been covered pretty well in previous posts... If you spend a bit of time reading, and also check out the OMSAS document, you'll have as good of an idea as anyone else...

The general consensus is that there's no magic formula. You need 1) to meet the cutoff 2) to meet the pre-reqs 3) To have good ec's (generally an undefineable concept) and, last but not least, 4) to be lucky.

Ottawa's big on ec's, that may be one thing that sets it appart... so you have to show you had a generally balanced life and didn't spend your entire undergrad burried in books :)

Other than that, no one knows!

Well, the thing is, the profiles vary incredibly. I don't think there's a constance in the type or amount of EC's that people who get an interview had on their sketch. There's no "magic formula", and not even a "this is your best bet formula". The only thing I would suggest is to do lots of what you like, I think that's your best bet before and after the interview. Don't do it because it will help your application, because if you do it with that in mind, it probably won't. Do the same things you would do if you just had spare time and wanted to be involved in your community.

If you really want to know what I had, I can give you an idea, but people in my class all have completely different things.

Academics/acheivements : Undergrad wGPA around 3.7 or 3.8 (I was admitted under CNFS, so it was good enough for those cutoffs). Was doing a master's when I applied. No major scholarships but a bunch of little ones. No major awards but a bunch of little ones.

Research : 1 publication, 2 posters, one or 2 submitted papers...

Employment : A bunch of TA's and RA's, a job in a hospital way back when, a summer camp, not much else that's notable...

Volunteering : Hospital volunteering, SPCA, volunteering in research lab, at a conference, for an environnemental committee, etc.

Other : I can't remember all the categories, but I was involved in student clubs and the like, which I put in there somewhere...

Anyway, I hope it helps, but again, I don't know anyone in my class who had a similar profile, although everyone's was interesting... not everyone had filled the 48 sketch items.

Basically, I think you just have to apply and see. And don't forget about the luck factor, it's quite important. I once asked a member of the admin comittee what he thought was the best advice I should give out here. He said "if you don't get in, apply again".

So good luck!

This thread has been beaten more than 0T6 with my crossover. I did no research, no physician shadowing experience, and haven't started a clinic in a 3rd world country and got in.

There's no formula.

Good luck!

hey talon...

are you in the french section or the english section?

This thread has been beaten more than 0T6 with my crossover. I did no research, no physician shadowing experience, and haven't started a clinic in a 3rd world country and got in.

There's no formula.

Good luck!

That's ****ed up. I know about this girl who got an interview but didn't get in. She called in to get feedback on her application and was told to get more healthcare related experience among a couple other things.

This just goes to show you how bull**** this whole process is. Speaking of which, I need to poop.

Siv: I had to call the office yesterday for something, and I asked about the gpa cutoff as well...I know some people are saying it went up to 3.85 this past cycle, but from the admissions ass't i heard 3.83...so i doubt itll go UP this year, as its been at 3.83 for the past 3 years, and there is no massive cohort this year like last..

hope that helps!

Talon sure is a jackass cause he talks trash about bein a baller with nothin to back it up, but he failed to mention the fact he has a physiotherapy degree and I'm prettttty sure they get some exposure to patients.

Talon bring ur weak game to rehab ball, u might be able to cross your t's but I'll be crossin your eyes when I take that first step!

Talon sure is a jackass cause he talks trash about bein a baller with nothin to back it up, but he failed to mention the fact he has a physiotherapy degree and I'm prettttty sure they get some exposure to patients.

Talon bring ur weak game to rehab ball, u might be able to cross your t's but I'll be crossin your eyes when I take that first step!

I'm just a glorified sweaty athlete massager ;)

Siv: I had to call the office yesterday for something, and I asked about the gpa cutoff as well...I know some people are saying it went up to 3.85 this past cycle, but from the admissions ass't i heard 3.83...so i doubt itll go UP this year, as its been at 3.83 for the past 3 years, and there is no massive cohort this year like last..

hope that helps!

really??? when I e-mailed them, Chantal replied as it is expected to be 3.85 this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived