Premed 101 Forums

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everybody??

It's so nice to know that there are people who are ready to help in whatever ways they can. So, here I'm. I tried but i couldn't find any info in regard to my question. So, my question is...

I'm Canadian citizen but my Bachelor in Engineering (Marine Engineering) is from other country (India). I have done Diploma in Medical Radiation Technology Program from Canadian Community College and presently i'm working as a full time Radiation Technologist. What are my chances of getting admission into Canadian Medical Schools?? My positives are:

Lots of Volunteer (but again backhome)

Worked as an Engineer for Five years-International Companies (other than Canada)

Worked as a teacher for one year (backhome)

3 Articles published in Journals (backhome)

Sports Certificates (Various including Gold Medal in High Jump-University Level)

Good volunteer experience (backhome)

Presently working in Hospital and will have around two years of experience by the time i'll apply (for 2009)

Will able to have good References from Physicians/Surgeons/College Teacher in Canada

Worked as a Security Guard/Customer Service for one year in Ontario.

Good (3.82) college GPA for Diploma and 4 GPA for College PreHealth Certificate program

Presently trying working on some research

Working towards gaining some Canadian Volunteer experience

I'm expecting undergraduate GPA of around 3.5 on my WES evaluation but it still need to be evaluated by WES (as required by OMSAS), i'm just waiting for my transcripts from backhome.

My negatives (which i think)

International undergraduate

International Prerequisites

I'll be 36 next year

At present working full time and preparing for MCAT.

Any help or advise would be highly appreciated from anyone or someone with same kind of situation or experience.

Thanks in advance!!

satfan

Thanks again. Not to challange your knowledge but just wondering.....

why they ask for WES assessment then?? Also, they (university websites) mention that it should be from a accredited university but not that it has to be from Canada. Correct me if i'm wrong. As i mentioned that i'm in the process of getting my degree evaluated from WES and, OMSAS particularly ask for that evaluation. I'd really like to know further if you have experienced or someone you know who experienced something like that. Because second degree i just can't think of even. Are you talking about in relation to any particular University or in General???

Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks again. Not to challange your knowledge but just wondering.....

why they ask for WES assessment then?? Also, they (university websites) mention that it should be from a accredited university but not that it has to be from Canada. Correct me if i'm wrong. As i mentioned that i'm in the process of getting my degree evaluated from WES and, OMSAS particularly ask for that evaluation. I'd really like to know further if you have experienced or someone you know who experienced something like that. Because second degree i just can't think of even. Are you talking about in relation to any particular University or in General???

Thanks again for your reply.

I'm not sure if what jojo said is true. I would suggest exploring the individual school's websites to see whether they accept a foreign BA/BS in lieu of Canadian.

Thanks Jochi!! That was quick. Although i've already asked these university and all of them asked for my transcripts and then Evaluation from WES at some places. But what i want to know is how my application will be considered among others?? Some universities says that they gonna use their own evaluation tools. Just confused???? Will it be seen favourably or not??

Thanks anyways guys...

Your diploma and technical certificate will not count towards your academic assessment only your B Eng. If the schools you contacted say they will accept your app with a WES assessment then you will be part of the same applicant pool as everyone else. You are a Canadian citizen.

I just turned 36 and I'm in first year Med at Calgary. I'm also the oldest guy in my class but there is one woman a few months older. It's kind of funny going to school with a bunch of young punks :P but fun.

Archived