Premed 101 Forums

Best anatomy atlas?

rad86

• 1 year later...

Posting a new question on an old thread,

Have you guys heard of McMinn's A Colour Atlas of Human Anatomy? I'm trying to pick between this one and Netter's. I heard that McMinn's had actual pictures so I thought that it would be more helpful than Netter's. Thoughts?

Posting a new question on an old thread,

Have you guys heard of McMinn's A Colour Atlas of Human Anatomy? I'm trying to pick between this one and Netter's. I heard that McMinn's had actual pictures so I thought that it would be more helpful than Netter's. Thoughts?

I have McMinn's. I think it is comparable to Rohen's but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. I found it supplements Netter's well, especially for the bell-ringers. However, I find learning the basics easier from Netters (or Grant's).

I had both a Rohen (purchased) and a Netter's (free from AMSA) and I definitely used the Netter's more often.

The pictures in Rohen are great and all, but in terms of preparing for the practical nothing beats spending time in the lab and looking at other people's dissections (especially when they suck, but are going to be tagged anyways).

• 2 weeks later...

i've only used netter's for anatomy as well as the electronic version so i can't really compare it to anything else. it's pretty good.

as leviathan has said, the electronic version is really easy to use when searching for a particular structure. the printed atlas is well organized as well.

I think the Thieme Atlas of Anatomy series is amazing.
I'm with you. I have just the "General Anatomy and MSK" volume which I bought because I saw it on sale on bookcloseouts.com for pretty cheap, and it has incredible drawings. At some point I plan to get the general one -- waaay nicer than Netter and Rohen that I used back in first year, imho.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Which anatomy book have you found to be the most useful?

I know each has pros and cons, but it would be good to get the perspective from people who have actually had to use them. It's hard to choose just from flipping from them at the bookstore, especially given that we don't know what is required in the classes... for example, obviously some are only pics, some have a bit of writing, some have a lot, some have real cadaver dissection pics, some have supplementary clinical examples, etc... i just don't know which of these are most useful... I know that Gray's has a lot of writing, Rohen's has cadaver pics, Netters is all pics, Grant's is pics with a bit of writing... but I'm wondering how useful each is in the context of med school anatomy... it seems that a lot of people use netters... so are the exaplanations in anatomy books not important (i.e. you learn them elsewhere anyways)? is pictures + labels all you need in a book? Or did some people find that the one's heavier in writing (i.e. Gray's) were more useful in understanding?... or maybe understanding isn't important to get from an anatomy book, and it is just used best for rote memorization? etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Which anatomy book have you found to be the most useful?

I know each has pros and cons, but it would be good to get the perspective from people who have actually had to use them. It's hard to choose just from flipping from them at the bookstore, especially given that we don't know what is required in the classes... for example, obviously some are only pics, some have a bit of writing, some have a lot, some have real cadaver dissection pics, some have supplementary clinical examples, etc... i just don't know which of these are most useful... I know that Gray's has a lot of writing, Rohen's has cadaver pics, Netters is all pics, Grant's is pics with a bit of writing... but I'm wondering how useful each is in the context of med school anatomy... it seems that a lot of people use netters... so are the exaplanations in anatomy books not important (i.e. you learn them elsewhere anyways)? is pictures + labels all you need in a book? Or did some people find that the one's heavier in writing (i.e. Gray's) were more useful in understanding?... or maybe understanding isn't important to get from an anatomy book, and it is just used best for rote memorization? etc...

good question. I bought Netters and am looking to supplement with an additional book, either grants or rohens (hopefully one that is cadaver based).

Archived