Premed 101 Forums

MCAT and GPA Cutoffs Posted

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No interview at Western for me this yr also. It sucks when you've done the MCAT 4 times to try to meet all of the past Western and Queen's cutoffs. I hope that Queens isn't crazy enough to raise their BS cutoff to 11 along with the writing sample.

I'm wondering if this is perhaps the exact reason why UWO and Queen's seem to have increased their cut-offs in previously unheard of, and therefore unexpected, ways? (BS 11, WS R).

I imagine there must be at least a couple of combinations of MCAT scores (e.g. 11/10/9 Q, 10/10/10 R, etc.) that will yield an interview pool of approximately the same size.

Maybe by diverging from their former, more-or-less predictable 10-10-10 cutoffs, they are attempting to dissuade people from writing the CBT MCAT multiple times within one year, until they achieve the ultimate "safe score" of 10-10-10.

Thoughts?

I'm wondering if this is perhaps the exact reason why UWO and Queen's seem to have increased their cut-offs in previously unheard of, and therefore unexpected, ways? (BS 11, WS R).

I imagine there must be at least a couple of combinations of MCAT scores (e.g. 11/10/9 Q, 10/10/10 R, etc.) that will yield an interview pool of approximately the same size.

Maybe by diverging from their former, more-or-less predictable 10-10-10 cutoffs, they are attempting to dissuade people from writing the CBT MCAT multiple times within one year, until they achieve the ultimate "safe score" of 10-10-10.

Thoughts?

It's hard to say, I don't think that's the reason. Now that they've done this, I'd imagine people are going to want 11s to feel safe... That is so random though, why 9/10/11 .... it could have easily been 11/10/9... ahh the mystery of medical school cutoffs. Honestly, what's a premed to do? Just do your best, hand in an application, and hope you get lucky.

I'd imagine people are going to want 11s to feel safe... That is so random though, why 9/10/11 .... it could have easily been 11/10/9... ahh the mystery of medical school cutoffs. Honestly, what's a premed to do? Just do your best, hand in an application, and hope you get lucky.

But, it goes without saying, that straight 11s are far more difficult to achieve than straight 10s.

But your second point is spot on. It does seem entirely random. And that's my point. Whether or not the cut-offs have been determined "randomly" cannot be known, however it certainly appears that way to us applicants.

Which I believe encourages us to do exactly what you said: try our best, and hope we get lucky (vs. writing multiple times, getting a 'safe score', and then applying)

Thoughts?

I am happy that Queen's and Western raised different sections of the MCAT mark for their cut-offs. That way, more people have a chance of at least one interview between the two schools.

It will be interesting to see the amount of wait list movement this year. If the two schools end up with more different pools of people than in the past (due to a fewer number of people having both a BS 11 and a WS R), then the wait lists potentially may not move as far.

Elaine

Guest begaster

Thoughts?

I wonder if they may just be working together due to the large pool of applicants turned down each year. By giving slightly different cutoffs, they don't need to worry about fighting for all of the same students.

I am happy that Queen's and Western raised different sections of the MCAT mark for their cut-offs. That way, more people have a chance of at least one interview between the two schools.

It will be interesting to see the amount of wait list movement this year. If the two schools end up with more different pools of people than in the past (due to a fewer number of people having both a BS 11 and a WS R), then the wait lists potentially may not move as far.

Elaine

Agreed! . .

I was wondering if meeting the MCAT cutoffs in all sections with a 12 BS 12Ws 9 PS R would BUT I only have one year over 3.7 (my GPA in that year is 3.8) would mean that I am part of this guranteed interview batch. Or do we have to meet the 3.7 in two years before we can be considered for an interview?:confused:

ya, u should get an interview if u are taking a full courseload this year.

I was wondering if meeting the MCAT cutoffs in all sections with a 12 BS 12Ws 9 PS R would BUT I only have one year over 3.7 (my GPA in that year is 3.8) would mean that I am part of this guranteed interview batch. Or do we have to meet the 3.7 in two years before we can be considered for an interview?:confused:

You should receive an interview invite based on one year above the GPA cut-off (assuming it was a full course-load). Your acceptance to medical school, should you receive one, will be conditional on your current year being above 3.7. If your current year is not above 3.7, you will not be able to join the class of 2012.

I meet the cut-offs again this year, so I hope I get an interview :). It was a fun time last year, and I was really impressed with the campus and the students. It was fun last year because I thought I didn't have a chance of an interview at UWO, so I wasn't anxiously waiting when I received a surprise email!

Now we have to wait to hear from Queen's!

Archived