Premed 101 Forums

MCAT and GPA Cutoffs Posted

Cutoffs have been posted:

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/documents/Cutoffs2008Entry.pdf

"For those applicants from non-SWOMEN areas, the minimum MCAT and GPA scores required for being considered for interviews are:

Biological Sciences – 11

Physical Sciences – 9

Verbal Reasoning – 10

Writing Sample – Q

Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning combined total – 30"

Hopefully Queens doesn't follow suit with that 11... :mad:

- Jon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with the following statement from the FAQ on the Western website?

"PLEASE NOTE: Possession of the minimum GPA and MCAT does not guarantee an invitation for an interview."

I was under the impression that meeting the minimums DID guarantee an interview. Do they include this in case an applicant had poor LORs or didn't bother writing an answer to the essay question?

What's up with the following statement from the FAQ on the Western website?

"PLEASE NOTE: Possession of the minimum GPA and MCAT does not guarantee an invitation for an interview."

I was under the impression that meeting the minimums DID guarantee an interview. Do they include this in case an applicant had poor LORs or didn't bother writing an answer to the essay question?

That part is posted ever year, whether or not they actually mean it or not is up for debate.

It really does depend on the applicant pool hmm....It keeps changing. Well good luck to everyone, and hopefully this is the only time I need to be worried about these cut-offs because by the way it changes so unpredictably, who knows if my bare minimums are going to make it next year or the year after.

heh wow

So what do they mean by that exactly? like is anything evaluated after the cutoff?

seems the consensus on the site is that youre 99% likely to get an interview if you make the cut. i think people have speculated on other threads that this little statement is just in case your essay (and i think your ec's??) is terrible/incomplete.

im not so sure why they dropped the PS...

________

Honda Xl200

seems the consensus on the site is that youre 99% likely to get an interview if you make the cut. i think people have speculated on other threads that this little statement is just in case your essay (and i think your ec's??) is terrible/incomplete.

im not so sure why they dropped the PS...

do we know of anyone who passed and didn't get an interview?

Cutoffs have been posted:

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/documents/Cutoffs2008Entry.pdf

"For those applicants from non-SWOMEN areas, the minimum MCAT and GPA scores required for being considered for interviews are:

Biological Sciences – 11

Physical Sciences – 9

Verbal Reasoning – 10

Writing Sample – Q

Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning combined total – 30"

Hopefully Queens doesn't follow suit with that 11... :mad:

- Jon

No Western interview for me. I only got a 10 in BS (32R). Too bad. However, at least I have my Dal interview, and hopefully Queen's.

Best wishes to those who will be interviewing at Western!

Elaine

No Western interview for me. I only got a 10 in BS (32R). Too bad. However, at least I have my Dal interview, and hopefully Queen's.

Elaine

sorry to hear that elaine, I've read your story (very inspirational) and I would bet my pinkie finger Dal will work out. (I think queen's is looking more yes than no, but good luck!)

Elaine

I have the same score as you, so obviously nothing, either!

My motivation to finish my special year just drastically decreased...hehehe.:rolleyes: Oh well, it will be useful for next year.

do we know of anyone who passed and didn't get an interview?

I have met people who met the cut-offs but didn't initially get an interview invite (even one of my classmates). They ended up calling the Admissions office and it was a fixed and an interview was granted.

So, if you met the cut-offs and don't get an interview, call up the staff at the admissions office!

I have met people who met the cut-offs but didn't initially get an interview invite (even one of my classmates). They ended up calling the Admissions office and it was a fixed and an interview was granted.

So, if you met the cut-offs and don't get an interview, call up the staff at the admissions office!

I also know a friend that was well above the mcat cutoffs but didnt receive an interview invitation initially. He called in to see what happened and it turned out that omsas didnt get his most recent scores. He called in, the issue was fixed, he was granted an interview and was eventually accepted to medschool. So yeah, if you met the cutoffs but get a rejection, call in to make sure they didnt mess something up!

Archived