Premed 101 Forums

Practice MMI Interviews in Victoria??

Hello,

Congratulations to everyone that received an interview! I am going for my fourth interview this year and I would really like to practice, especially since I have never done an MMI interview. I have seen quite a few threads with people in Van getting together to practice, but is anyone else in Victoria interested?? I would love to get together with others to practice mock scenarios & questions. I work during the day, so weekends would work best for me.....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!

I've contacted Lynne McCaughey at UVic Career Services, as I have done mock interviews with her in the past. They are aware of the change in the interview process and she said that they are doing a mock process similar to the MMI to help individuals prepare. I've booked an appointment with her, but I'd love to get together with other applicants and practice more. Are you up for practicing maybe? Do you know any other applicants from Victoria who are looking to practice? Let me know.

LOL!

I've contacted Lynne McCaughey at UVic Career Services, as I have done mock interviews with her in the past. They are aware of the change in the interview process and she said that they are doing a mock process similar to the MMI to help individuals prepare. I've booked an appointment with her, but I'd love to get together with other applicants and practice more. Are you up for practicing maybe? Do you know any other applicants from Victoria who are looking to practice? Let me know.

Wow, that's great! Yes I do know a few others who applied - I wonder if we could get something together. Does it cost money?

I think my only concern is that I don't want my answers on the actual interview to be fabricated or sound rehearsed. Maybe I'll give Lynne a shout..

Really?? That's odd....I called her and she told me that although they couldn't obviously mock the MMI that their practice would be similar....maybe she is speaking about the kinds of questions that she is going to ask in the mock interview.....??I am assuming, that obviously, the questions she asks won't be related to personal experiences...etc...maybe more scenario based as to be similar to the MMI's. Sorry to misinform you....:confused:

I'm still up for practicing as a group, so if you are aware of others who applied and have interviews and would like to practice, I'd totally be up for getting something together...

No, there is no cost for the mock interview with Lynne.

Hey there,

Nomes and I are getting together at UVIC this weekend to practice MMI questions with eachother. Not sure if you are up for practicing with a few people or if you would like to practice on your own or just with one other person etc...if you're interested in practicing with us, send me an email...Nicole.1.Smith@gov.bc.ca.

• 9 months later...

ok just reviving this thread for anyone interested in preparing for Interviews 2009! i didn't do this last year (just prepared on my own) and apparently didn't do such a good job..so i'll try & be interested :P in getting together a couple times this yr (if i get another interview! :eek:)

now, to anyone who did this group practice thing last yr...did u guys actually do mock MMI's or just kind of discussed possible scenarios and how to approach/answer them? and how helpful did u find it? i think both would be useful in their own way.

also, what do ppl think about doing some "homework" prior to these meetings to perhaps make them more productive...for example each of us coming up with a sample answer for a specific kind of MMI scenario (eg bioethics, knowledge of health care system, critical thinking, communication skills, teamwork, etc) and then discussing it in the group and having others add to it, etc...the sample scenarios can be the ones available online or we could make up our own. anyway, just something to think about.

Good work Av.

Would love to do some MMI practice in Victoria. I agree that if we all just show up with no thought prior we will waste a lot of time. I definitely think if each person brought one or two scenarios that they have carefully thought through answers for it could be stellar. I picture a group of 4-6 and a person reads there scenario/question to the group. The person next in the circle gets a crack at answering uninterrupted (simulated interview style). The others get to add what they think after, and then finally whoever brought the question adds anything they thought of. Take turns until everyone gets a shot at the hotseat, and then we all get to talk about interview day, acceptance possibilities, specialties, Christmas presents, whatever.

Anyone in Victoria down? Name some dates that are possibilities on UVic campus.

I'd love to do some mmi practice again this year! Last year we only ended up mtg once b/c of super busy schedules... I still found it helpful (but not helpful enough obviously because here I am again).

Last year we did mock interviews and talked strategy. I like all your ideas.

Hi,

I would also be interested in practice sessions. By the way I am new to this forum. So i guess Ill give some background info, i am applying to UBC, and am a BC resident. This is my second year applying, and that's about it.

Last year I practiced with a bunch of individuals, we had about 10-20 people depending on the day. We pretty much got a key for LSC and had mock MMI's in the PBL rooms. However i feel that doing what youngdad said, with the whole group interviews, than feedback would be better initially before practicing in the PBL rooms.

Whoever is in charge of setting this up, can PM me and I can give more info. As well I am also open between the days NOMES mentioned to practice.

Archived