Premed 101 Forums

Practice MMI Interviews in Victoria??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay people. Bookings are made for the UVic library Mearns Centre under "Hot Wings". The Mearns centre is on the first floor of the library. We have two rooms so far but we need more people to book the adjacent rooms. Anyone with a UVIC ID that wants to join hit this link and book the rooms adjacent.

https://triton.library.uvic.ca/studyrooms/day.php?year=2009&month=1&day=24&area=3

The bookings are at 10:30 but dan105 strategically picked that so nobody would book at 10:00 and we can have it from 10:00 to 12:30 mwahahaha.

Bookings DO NOT say MMI! Look for the Hot Wings!!

Right so 10am, mearns center, Hot Wings (or some variety thereof booked for 10:30). I think it would be great if everyone came up with one or two solid MMI questions to ask (please dont pick the examples questions floating around the web/forum)

youngdad

dan0105

nomes

EUnit

lingrad (can you book a hotwing room so that we can officially have space for 6 people)

lingrad's friend

that leaves two more spots and hopefully any new potentials can book the final, fourth room.

Okay so far here are the people that are "invited." I say invited because we will have a limited number that can participate if we do the station rotation deal. Also it makes me feel very important.

In order of those who responded to me.

youngdad

lingrad

mystery guest of lingrad

dan105

nomes

eunit

We currently have 4 rooms booked so that is space for 8 people. I think we could handle one spare. If other people want book the rooms on the first floor of the library at the link i sent earlier it would work. They are only about 100 feet from the mearns center rooms already booked. Lets take over the library people.

Okay so far here are the people that are "invited." I say invited because we will have a limited number that can participate if we do the station rotation deal. Also it makes me feel very important.

In order of those who responded to me.

youngdad

lingrad

mystery guest of lingrad

dan105

nomes

eunit

We currently have 4 rooms booked so that is space for 8 people. I think we could handle one spare. If other people want book the rooms on the first floor of the library at the link i sent earlier it would work. They are only about 100 feet from the mearns center rooms already booked. Lets take over the library people.

I'd also be available to meet earlier. At least one other mystery guest will be coming with me (likely two), and the one other person on our emailing list that isnt accounted for...so I will book a room on the 1st floor of the library.

I'd also be available to meet earlier. At least one other mystery guest will be coming with me (likely two), and the one other person on our emailing list that isnt accounted for...so I will book a room on the 1st floor of the library.

So weve got 5 rooms now.

It looks like we have 8 (possibly 9) people.

youngdad

lingrad

mystery guest of lingrad

dan105

nomes

eunit

in my tree

mystery guest #1 of in my tree

(mystery guest #2 of in my tree)

We are getting pretty close to capacity here. In my tree please confirm your second guest as soon as possible.

due to his mystery job my mystery friend will be unable to make the MMI on Sat. He works on weekends and so needs more notice - I take it we will plan our next meeting on Sat.

Let us also set requirements for the meeting this Saturday - how about everyone must bring a minimum of 3 MMI-ish questions?

due to his mystery job my mystery friend will be unable to make the MMI on Sat. He works on weekends and so needs more notice - I take it we will plan our next meeting on Sat.

Let us also set requirements for the meeting this Saturday - how about everyone must bring a minimum of 3 MMI-ish questions?

Okay mystery guest of lingrad is gone.

I like it. If we bring 3 or more (especially if from different sources) it would minimize duplication and the chance that someone has read the case before. I was thinking that we could have half of us be "interviewers" and the other half rotate through each station. The interviewers should at least know enough about the scenario to prod a bit and consider different angles for 7 minutes. After the first group of interviews we should trade places so the interviewers are now the interviewed. This will require teamwork from everyone and patience on the part of the ones interviewing. I think it will be valuable to be other side of the desk because you get to see what answers sound like that have depth, make sense, are well presented etc. I am looking forward to that.

This should NOT be a judging session though!!! Interviewers should not give their opinions or suggestions at all. Unless at the very end people want to ask certain interviewers how they think certain stations went and if they have any suggestions. This means as an interviewer it would be great if you put the person's name down and any notes. That way (IF THEY WANT IT) you can look back and provide some insight.

We need to remember that everyone has different strengths that they bring to the interview that work for them. This is practice for us. This is so we can get some practice talking to strangers in a simulated MMI with real scenarios. We will each likely know where we are struggling. There would be nothing worse than someone feeling confident by the end and then someone mentioning that they thought their answers were silly. Or the opposite, someone gets a false sense of ability because everyone says "good job."

You're in pthn

Updated list

youngdad

lingrad

dan105

nomes

eunit

in my tree

mystery guest #1 of in my tree

mystery guest #2 of in my tree

doglover

pthn

Saturday January 24 10:00am

I think that's all we can take. Unless everyone is okay with one spare. The rooms are booked for 10:30, but we are going to try to get let in there at 10:00. Please show up at 10:00 so we can go over the mock MMI game plan. Bring at least 3 cases. You don't have to know them inside and out, but just enough to be able to ask probing questions and/or tie them to bigger issues etc.

Okay mystery guest of lingrad is gone.

I like it. If we bring 3 or more (especially if from different sources) it would minimize duplication and the chance that someone has read the case before. I was thinking that we could have half of us be "interviewers" and the other half rotate through each station. The interviewers should at least know enough about the scenario to prod a bit and consider different angles for 7 minutes. After the first group of interviews we should trade places so the interviewers are now the interviewed. This will require teamwork from everyone and patience on the part of the ones interviewing. I think it will be valuable to be other side of the desk because you get to see what answers sound like that have depth, make sense, are well presented etc. I am looking forward to that.

This should NOT be a judging session though!!! Interviewers should not give their opinions or suggestions at all. Unless at the very end people want to ask certain interviewers how they think certain stations went and if they have any suggestions. This means as an interviewer it would be great if you put the person's name down and any notes. That way (IF THEY WANT IT) you can look back and provide some insight.

We need to remember that everyone has different strengths that they bring to the interview that work for them. This is practice for us. This is so we can get some practice talking to strangers in a simulated MMI with real scenarios. We will each likely know where we are struggling. There would be nothing worse than someone feeling confident by the end and then someone mentioning that they thought their answers were silly. Or the opposite, someone gets a false sense of ability because everyone says "good job."

I understand some people are hesitant to subject themselves to the scrutiny of their peers. However, I believe one of the major benefits of going through this exercise will be to have honest feedback from people, lord knows we won't get it from UBC! Without feedback, I might as well be talking to an inflatable doll (not that I have one...)

I think we are all mature enough to give feedback in a constructive way, by highlighting strengths and weaknesses. Of course, if someone doesn't want to hear it, that's their choice.

I understand some people are hesitant to subject themselves to the scrutiny of their peers. However, I believe one of the major benefits of going through this exercise will be to have honest feedback from people, lord knows we won't get it from UBC! Without feedback, I might as well be talking to an inflatable doll (not that I have one...)

I think we are all mature enough to give feedback in a constructive way, by highlighting strengths and weaknesses. Of course, if someone doesn't want to hear it, that's their choice.

Sure thats cool. I would prefer to debrief after the circuit. That way its like interview day between scenarios where we just forget what we said and move quickly to the next one. Plus I think this would make transition to the next stations rapid and smooth. Feedback could come at the end. What does everyone else think?

Archived