Premed 101 Forums

Practice MMI Interviews in Victoria??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
I'm in. But I have a seminar I am doing some major preparations for at the end of January. What about the first week of Feb?

But you were so eager in December!:D

That's fine, but if anyone wants to get together sooner I'd be down with too. EUnit?

Hi guys - I'm in Victoria too and used UVic's career services for interview prep last year. It was OK, but unfortunately they were completely clued out about the MMI and so was there wasn't a ton of value added for my MMI-based interviews. I work with the Ministry of Healthy Living and so can tap a few resources there but would love to get together with people I don't know and give a fresh go at it. PM me.

Hi guys - I'm in Victoria too and used UVic's career services for interview prep last year. It was OK, but unfortunately they were completely clued out about the MMI and so was there wasn't a ton of value added for my MMI-based interviews. I work with the Ministry of Healthy Living and so can tap a few resources there but would love to get together with people I don't know and give a fresh go at it. PM me.

I had a similar impression of my experience with Career Services at UVIC. She said she wasn't able to mimic an MMI, then when my friend went in the week after to do a mock interview they actually did do it MMI-style. I thought it was a bit bizarre.

Anyway, does anyone want to get together this weekend to go over 'study' materials and exchange ideas? I'm thinking a low-pressure meeting to ease into it and make dates for future practice sessions.

Where will you acquire said materials? I have a journal article that contains several sample questions in an appendix but asides from that all I have are vague memories from last year's MMI's. I will be up at UVic during the day on Saturday, so I would be happy to meet, share the material I have (although I see value in being 'fresh' for questions) and plan some future sessions then.

On campus Saturday would work for me.

'said materials' would probably be some of the stuff you already have, plus I have some interesting/inspiring reading that I could recommend if you are interested. I think it would be a good idea to meet and discuss what our expectations are and make a gameplan and possibly a timeline. I'd like to work up to doing an actual dress-up mock interview. If you aren't into that, no problem, we can get together and just practice questions, which I need more time to prep for anyway. I did that last year a bit and it was helpful, but I think we can do better than that if we want to. Thoughts?

Sounds good - when attending those sessions at UVic Career Services I dressed up to get the real feeling anyway.

Why don't we say - 1pm lower lobby of Math and Social science building (the new one resplendent in stainless steel and concrete) near the classroom A120. We could go grab a coffee at the Library caf and this way, anyone who reads this and is interested can just show up then.

P.S. I have a couple of friends entering first and second year at the IMP - they might be able to lend a hand at some point if we want any inside scoop.

On Saturday there were 5 of us who met (one who didn't get an interview but still might participate). We discussed what the interview was like last year and how we would be prepping this year. Agreed to meet again on Saturday the 24th (same location and time) ready to look at mmi scenarios. People are trying to bring a scenario or two (ideally something the others haven't seen before) for others to look at and answer/discuss. Hopefully you can make it? Also, someone is looking into setting up a mock group MMI with Career Services (not sure if this is possible but it's worth looking into).

I won't be up for this saturday as I'm out of town.

I am going to book a group study room at the UVic library for the 24th. I need to know times people prefer and numbers of who will be there to pick the right sized room. I can only book one room at a time, but if other uvic students book adjacent rooms we can make it a pretty cool simulation. The study room booking for Saturday is wide open right now. I will likely book this TONIGHT so let me know!

I'm in and also bringing one other. I'll use my girlfriend's Netlink ID to sign up a room since I'm no longer a student. 1-2:30pm work?

Spoke to one dude in Van who will probably come over. We both want 10-12. So far that 2 people for afternoon and 2 for morning. Lets get some more votes.

Also I doubt a big group discussion will be helpful: too much time wasting. I was hoping we could simulate as many one-on-one interviews as possible and just keep rotating. Hopefully an even number come out.... Anyway, once we decide to book a time I was thinking 2nd floor of the library. Just look for booking called MMI and book the room next to it.

Archived