Premed 101 Forums

lots of questions about US schools!

codeblue

Hello,

I am a Ontario resident currently in 2nd year of a health science undergrad. I am fortunate enough to be able to get my dual-citizenship with the US, so I was wondering about what it takes to apply down there.

These questions are for both MD/DO schools:

First off... does anyone know if my new dual-citizenship status (yet to be declared) will reduce tuition fee's, or affect my application in anyway?

What is the general requirments of US med schools in terms of prereq courses or years taken at the undergraduate level ?

Is the MCAT required at all schools ?

Is it easy to come back to Canada after school?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Hello,

I am a Ontario resident currently in 2nd year of a health science undergrad. I am fortunate enough to be able to get my dual-citizenship with the US, so I was wondering about what it takes to apply down there.

These questions are for both MD/DO schools:

First off... does anyone know if my new dual-citizenship status (yet to be declared) will reduce tuition fee's, or affect my application in anyway?

What is the general requirments of US med schools in terms of prereq courses or years taken at the undergraduate level ?

Is the MCAT required at all schools ?

Is it easy to come back to Canada after school?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Main advantage of having dual citizenship: you qualify for financial aid/Stafford loans, don't have to deal with H1B hassles for residency (although speaking to a few residency directors / current intl' students at US schools, they don't feel it's an issue).

I'm pretty sure all US schools (at least the ones worth attending) require the MCAT and weigh it heavily.

Easy to come back to Canada...hard to say. I've been trying to find that out on the interview trail, speaking with current intl/Canadian students. Most have no clue and/or don't seem worried.

to add to kennethtoronto's post:

coming back to canada - US grads can participate in first round of carms matching so it is possible. i suggest doing some electives in canada if possible during clerkship.

MCAT is weighed WAY more heavily in the US than in canada. if you want to be safe, or have a shot at the ivy league schools, i suggest getting a 35+ on the mcat.

each school has different requirements but if you have these im pretty sure you'll meet requirements for MOST schools:

1 full year english

1 full year bio with lab

1 full year chem with lab

1 full year physics with lab

1 full year math

1 full yaer humanities/social sciences/behavioural sciences

each school varies with what it requires and the best to find that out is visit the school's website and see what they want. you can also try getting your hands on the MSAR which is a book published by the AAMC that includes info about each school in north america - average gpa/mcat scores of matriculants, requirements, description of program, application deadlines, application fees etc. this book can be ordered off amazon or from the aamc website directly (aamc.org).

also, US schools are different than canadian schools as they have 'rolling admissions'. look through old threads for a more in-depth description of what that is if you dont already know. you will be at a greater advantage if you apply early. dont bother applying with only 3 years of undergrad even though most schools state that as the minimum. its unlikely you'll be accepted. make sure you will obtain a 4 year degree before starting medical school.

lastly, i dont know much about DO schools. your stats are pretty good for getting into DO if im not mistaken. i dont know how DO degrees are looked at in canada. look through old threads, i know this has been brought up before as well. you can also try using the search function.

hope this helps.

cool so MCAT for DO schools as well ? dam the MCAT! I wont have the math or the physics, so hopefully there are many schools out there that dont require these if I decide to go this route.

Im sure coming to Canada for a dual citizen would be ok... at least one would think so.

Does anyone know if dual-citizenship would reduce the tuition costs ? Or not because I dont actually live there?

I guess Ireland/Australia are also options, or elsewhere.

cool so MCAT for DO schools as well ? dam the MCAT! I wont have the math or the physics, so hopefully there are many schools out there that dont require these if I decide to go this route.

Im sure coming to Canada for a dual citizen would be ok... at least one would think so.

Does anyone know if dual-citizenship would reduce the tuition costs ? Or not because I dont actually live there?

I guess Ireland/Australia are also options, or elsewhere.

I dont think dual citizenship would reduce cost unless you were a resident of a particular state AND you decided to attend the 'state' school. For example, you can be considered a resident of NY and you're attending SUNY (State University of NY). Private schools have the same tuition for everyone. Like KennethToronto mentioned, you can be eligible for financial assitance with the dual citizenship.

YES - MCAT for DO schools too!! US loves the MCAT!

well its a full year of physics, which I dont have room for in my current undergrad, as well I wont have the full year of math, or chem either...

so are there US schools that dont need you to take math/physics/chemistry ? I may get the chem done depending on if I stay in my program or not

one last question: so if my citizenship would not reduce tuition because I do not actually live in the states, would it provide me with a better chance of acceptance because I have it ?

1) you would have to check the individual school's websites or get your hands on a copy of the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements - published by the AAMC) to find out about which schools require chem/physics/math...there are simply too many schools in the US to remember stuff like that off the top of your head.

2) Private schools dont care where you live and state schools give preference to in-state students. I'm not sure if these schools prefer US citizens over international students (although many consider Canadians to be equal to out-of-state US citizens) but your US citizenship definitely wont hurt. There are some schools that only accept applications from only US citizens so you would have those schools as an option whereas other Canadian students wouldn't.

A lot of schools require organic chemistry. Does anybody know if biochemistry, 1 semester with lab, would satisfy this?

No, likely does not.

Again, you need to figure out which schools you're interested in, check out their requirements via MSAR, and then contact the admissions office if you need clarification.

Most are prompt and will answer your questions quickly. If definitely "pays" to do your research - I wasted $150 sending my primaries to schools I shouldn't have.

well like i said the full year of chem i may be able to do... and is a stats class ok for the math ? or does it have to be calculus ? my stats class would be half a year, same as my calc... so im wondering if thats good enough

as for the physics... well i would have to do those in the summer or something, just not possible right now

Guest viscous

I am planning to apply to states by this june. I already have written mcat with an 8 in verbal. 13 in PS, 11 in BS. I am planning to write mcat again in sept. I would get the results in oct for this mcat. Which mcat marks would the schools look at? Do I choose if I want to send the new marks to the AMCAS this year or not? since mcat is administered by AMCAS, they will have my latest marks automatically. How would I know that schools used my old mcat or new mcat marks.?

I am planning to apply to states by this june. I already have written mcat with an 8 in verbal. 13 in PS, 11 in BS. I am planning to write mcat again in sept. I would get the results in oct for this mcat. Which mcat marks would the schools look at? Do I choose if I want to send the new marks to the AMCAS this year or not? since mcat is administered by AMCAS, they will have my latest marks automatically. How would I know that schools used my old mcat or new mcat marks.?

Once you've completed your primary (ASAP) and begin working on secondaries, each school will ask if you've written the MCAT more than once and which scores you want them to see: a) your first writing only and begin evaluating your file, or B) wait until your second set comes in (October you say) and then evaluate your file.

When your 2nd set of scores come out, AAMC sends it to AMCAS, and they automatically send it to all the schools you've chosen to apply to.

There's a thread on SDN called "what do you think my chances are". See what most people think about re-writing with your score and other stats/ ECs.

Guest viscous

thank you.

I yet have another question.

I need to take an ENG credit. Should I take it in summer or maybe next year if I plan to come back as I get rejected from all Canadian schools by mid March? I hope the US schools will start reviewing my application for 2009 entry if I plan to take ENG credit starting sept 2008 continuing to April 2009! Does AMCAS provide some reliable info on this?

Guest viscous
Once you've completed your primary (ASAP) and begin working on secondaries, each school will ask if you've written the MCAT more than once and which scores you want them to see: a) your first writing only and begin evaluating your file, or B) wait until your second set comes in (October you say) and then evaluate your file.

When your 2nd set of scores come out, AAMC sends it to AMCAS, and they automatically send it to all the schools you've chosen to apply to.

There's a thread on SDN called "what do you think my chances are". See what most people think about re-writing with your score and other stats/ ECs.

But if, God forbid, the scores from my second MCAT are low and I chose earlier on that my oldest mcat scores be used, would schools still look at my recent mcat score and use that for deducing my competitiveness?

Guest viscous

and more importantly, how do US schools look at students who didnt graduate after 4th year just because they didnt choose to as they got rejected from all Canadian schools. In short, how would US schools look at the courses taken ni '5th' year of bachelors?

Archived