Premed 101 Forums

ottawa system screwed me over

This is more than a rant.

I received an email from Nicole Racine back in December saying how my graduate transcript was not received. She specifically stated in that email that I had to get my transcript to OMSAS (not Ottawa) by jan 11. This was of no fault of mine because I ordered my transcript via OMSAS in October online.

My institution and OMSAS promised me that they would process everything ASAP. However, because of the christmas holidays, I could not do anything but to wait until January 4th to have OMSAS send it out to the Universities.

The supervisor from OMSAS had told me that an email was sent out to all the institutions saying it was not of my fault and that there was a mistake somewhere along the process. OMSAS sent that out in January 5th-ish.

I got my rejection email from Ottawa Univ yesterday stating that my application as an undergrad and as a grad have both been rejected. The undergrad (expected since I didn't meet the cutoff) but my grad, they stated that because I had no grades to assess, I could not be processed anymore.

I called Ms. Racine on the phone and she stated that nothing could be done because my grad transcript was received Jan 13. She was polite but stated coldy that nothing could be done since it was too late. I tried to plead with her but it was clear she just wanted to get off the phone with me. She said because of Ottawa's system, it was too late, all the interview spots had been taken.... she told me to apply next year if I don't get in this year. I waited 3 years to apply to Ottawa and would have been my first pick... I'm hurt to say the least.

where is the justice in this? Life's unfair but this is ruthless....

Wow... I am so sorry to hear this - that is absolutely insane. I guess just try and realize that this is not your fault. This is no reflection on YOU but rather on THEM. The process is broken... Keep your head up - I REALLY hope you get in somewhere else, and if it doesn't happen this year keep at it and it'll happen in the future.

ARGH

I think the same thing will happen to me.

When I submitted my OMSAS application, I used the correct scales and everything to enter my GPA. However some doofus used a different scale when verifying my transcript marks which severely affected my GPA (0.17 lower). They finally got around to changing it in mid January.

McMaster made their decision before then, and so did Ottawa because I got an email saying that I was rejected because my GPA did not make the cut. Your post makes me sad because I know that there's no chance I'll get an interview now. :(

This is more than a rant.

I received an email from Nicole Racine back in December saying how my graduate transcript was not received. She specifically stated in that email that I had to get my transcript to OMSAS (not Ottawa) by jan 11. This was of no fault of mine because I ordered my transcript via OMSAS in October online.

My institution and OMSAS promised me that they would process everything ASAP. However, because of the christmas holidays, I could not do anything but to wait until January 4th to have OMSAS send it out to the Universities.

The supervisor from OMSAS had told me that an email was sent out to all the institutions saying it was not of my fault and that there was a mistake somewhere along the process. OMSAS sent that out in January 5th-ish.

I got my rejection email from Ottawa Univ yesterday stating that my application as an undergrad and as a grad have both been rejected. The undergrad (expected since I didn't meet the cutoff) but my grad, they stated that because I had no grades to assess, I could not be processed anymore.

I called Ms. Racine on the phone and she stated that nothing could be done because my grad transcript was received Jan 13. She was polite but stated coldy that nothing could be done since it was too late. I tried to plead with her but it was clear she just wanted to get off the phone with me. She said because of Ottawa's system, it was too late, all the interview spots had been taken.... she told me to apply next year if I don't get in this year. I waited 3 years to apply to Ottawa and would have been my first pick... I'm hurt to say the least.

where is the justice in this? Life's unfair but this is ruthless....

I'm really sorry, man. That's completely ridiculous. I hate how strict they are.

________

Vapor Genie

you know... you work so hard in life to get to where you are...

but for pre-med students, you have to work extra hard to show who you are on paper.

It's so disappointing when a, probably tired and fed up, woman on the phone says "no, we can't do anything, there are no exceptions. try applying next year".

so hard... it's like I don't even know if I am competitive as an applicant but to say that i didn't even have a chance at it...

there are so many holes in their system and they refuse to have anyone patch up those holes because there is such an overwhelming number of applicants. sad... but i guess this is life.

you know... you work so hard in life to get to where you are...

but for pre-med students, you have to work extra hard to show who you are on paper.

It's so disappointing when a, probably tired and fed up, woman on the phone says "no, we can't do anything, there are no exceptions. try applying next year".

so hard... it's like I don't even know if I am competitive as an applicant but to say that i didn't even have a chance at it...

there are so many holes in their system and they refuse to have anyone patch up those holes because there is such an overwhelming number of applicants. sad... but i guess this is life.

That's the Canadian Medical School admissions for you.

The number of applicants FAR outweigh the number of spots. Schools sometimes feel little obligation to treat applicants in a respectful manner. I've only realized this after interviewing in the US - it's a whole different atmosphere.

oh my gosh. this has been the most emotional rollercoaster morning I've had in a very long time.

I just got a call and the lady said she did some further investigating (cuz I was pleading with her on the phone..several times) and that it was received by Jan 11 on the dot. She said that she would send me an email to submit my Graduate package. I think she could definitely tell I balling on the phone... i'm all emotionally drained out for the day!

i'm more than over-joyed... it's not an interview yet but it's still something.

oh my gosh. this has been the most emotional rollercoaster morning I've had in a very long time.

I just got a call and the lady said she did some further investigating (cuz I was pleading with her on the phone..several times) and that it was received by Jan 11 on the dot. She said that she would send me an email to submit my Graduate package. I think she could definitely tell I balling on the phone... i'm all emotionally drained out for the day!

i'm more than over-joyed... it's not an interview yet but it's still something.

Very good to hear - good luck in the grad stream. Hopefully we both are extended interview invitations!

thanks everyone. It has been a difficult one this morning but i'm glad my application got looked at at least. If it doesn't go further, at least I know my application was looked at.

whew~

Hey ckim01,

That's great news! I'm rooting for you!

Regards,

Dr. E77

thanks everyone. It has been a difficult one this morning but i'm glad my application got looked at at least. If it doesn't go further, at least I know my application was looked at.

If there are anyone in my position, I highly suggest you call and get through to them. They are very used to people calling so will be annoyed/fed-up with you but at least I got through... The lady on the phone said that I got to the "softer" side of her (cuz she could tell by my voice how disappointed I was) and she re-checked everything. there was apparently a computer glitch. Keeps your heads up.

whew~

Ottawa screwed you how? Sounds more like an OMSAS/Canada Post issue.

I wish i could change the title cuz screwed... is a word i selected from my initial emotions.

Well Ottawa refused to check their mistakes and my application... and I know it's because they have so many applicants but its still not right.

Luckily I made it through.

I feel your pain with being screwed over by the system. It is never fun. The same thing happened to me last year, but thankfully, I got in last year at a different school. From my experience, the Ottawa faculty and administration is almost the best at accomadating for students, and at actually seeing each student as an individual rather than as a clumped 'applicant'. I know its not much consulation, but I've realized that the year off I took was the best thing for me....so there is always a hidden msg behind the barriers you face!

Just keep the final goal in mind!

hey A41,

i'm sorry to hear that. Ottawa must have so many students in our position they deal with. Although our situation is unique and unfair to us, it is nothing different to them. I guess the only thing I can advice you on is trying contacting OMSAS directly and speak to someone with authority. Tell them what is being happened and see what they can do about it. Other than that, I don't think Ottawa is going to treat your application as anything special (sorry to say but you and I are one of 3000+ applicants).

It is difficult to deal with... and believe me, I had much more to my situation than what I wrote. But hang in there. Every little bit counts.

Cheers

i actually am planning to decline my interview at ottawa. i hope someone super deserving gets this interview spot! i'm not sure how it works, but i assume that if someone declines to interview and withdraws, then there is a free interview slot for someone else. a41...try to ask for it!!

and canadian medical schools should realize that there is a much bigger pond of medical schools just south of the border, with incredible opportunities - some which rival and some which surpass what is found in canada - and treat applicants better.

Archived