Premed 101 Forums

NOSM not considering WGPA?

This is certainly surprising. I was about to contact NOSM to see if they could give more information but then realized that they said to check back in May 2009. They probably mean May 2008 (they'd have to have it figured out before the 2008-2009 applications due in the fall) - note that they have made typos in the past.

• 2 months later...

Just wait and see. The "updated" site that you see has been updated for a few weeks now. I talked to admissions last week and it sounds pretty convincing that they are shifting to an overall gpa system, which will be posted online in June.

A friend of mine emailed them, coz he wanted to apply next year, and they said they will not consider the wGPA anymore. im not sure what they will use, maybe best 2 years or last 2, or like mac, every year. I have a feeling it will be overall gpa. coz its easier to calucate it i guess lol

Well then! I can think of many people who have wanted to get into NOSM and didn't care about first year thinking it would never come back to haunt them. Guess goes to show nothign is ever definite.

For myself personally, I like that first year courses are included, since I did well first year (from busting my ass).

Any speculations as to how this will affect the general applicant pool?

Busting your ass or not, does looking at an applicant marks when he/she is 18 really indicate who our best doctors are...

at the same time, since you did do well you shouldn't be punished.... that's why a system that takes best years, or drops worst years seems to be like a good way to go...

I just have a hard time denying someone entrance to medical school due to a bad year when they may not even have considered med school at the time, when they demonstrate in their later years that they're clearly academically capable...

i agree with you but the thing is ontario and canadian medical schools can use whatever system they want to calculate our gpa's because theres more then enough applicants with VERY good marks in all 4 years.

They are free to do whatever they want, I agree... I'm just defending the ones that aren't strictly cumulative.

The GPA system is punitive in nature, one bad year destroys cumulative gpa's and I will tell you that from experience...

Although there are a lot of people who did well in all four years... it's not to say they're better applicants than those who blew a year but have shown they know what they're doing otherwise....

I just believe a system that recognizes that perfect GPA's from the age of 17 onwards aren't the sole determining factor for success as a physician is better. However I have no problem giving a bonus to those that did do well all 4 years as they deserve a reward for the constant effort.

Looking at their website now, it is stated that its all undergrad marks taken towards 1 degree....

any marks after that degree is awarded are not counted unless they're part of a second degree that will be completed before matriculating.

Overall one needs a 3.0/4.0 to be considered

They are free to do whatever they want, I agree... I'm just defending the ones that aren't strictly cumulative.

The GPA system is punitive in nature, one bad year destroys cumulative gpa's and I will tell you that from experience...

Although there are a lot of people who did well in all four years... it's not to say they're better applicants than those who blew a year but have shown they know what they're doing otherwise....

I just believe a system that recognizes that perfect GPA's from the age of 17 onwards aren't the sole determining factor for success as a physician is better. However I have no problem giving a bonus to those that did do well all 4 years as they deserve a reward for the constant effort.

yea true dat.

Guest soaring_eagle
Busting your ass or not, does looking at an applicant marks when he/she is 18 really indicate who our best doctors are...

at the same time, since you did do well you shouldn't be punished.... that's why a system that takes best years, or drops worst years seems to be like a good way to go...

I just have a hard time denying someone entrance to medical school due to a bad year when they may not even have considered med school at the time, when they demonstrate in their later years that they're clearly academically capable...

Hey Supafield,

I understand your point of view too. Just remember, however, that NOSM doesn't factor a large portion of their admissions to GPA compared to other schools. For an interview its only 1/3 the weighing. That said, a friend of mine got in with around 3.3 (no graduate degree), and I know two people who were rejected at NOSM with close to 4.0's (all three of these people were from the North btw). So just cause your GPA isn't that hot, doesn't mean the rest of your application wont make up for it. If your granted an interview, I would argue you're on the same playing field as everyone else with an interview. (Oh, all of this only applies if you get the points for being from the North!!! If your not from teh North, from what I gather its pretty difficult to get into NOSM regardless of GPA or anythign else).

YOU SHOULD STILL APPLY!! good luck

Hey Supafield,

I understand your point of view too. Just remember, however, that NOSM doesn't factor a large portion of their admissions to GPA compared to other schools. For an interview its only 1/3 the weighing. That said, a friend of mine got in with around 3.3 (no graduate degree), and I know two people who were rejected at NOSM with close to 4.0's (all three of these people were from the North btw). So just cause your GPA isn't that hot, doesn't mean the rest of your application wont make up for it. If your granted an interview, I would argue you're on the same playing field as everyone else with an interview. (Oh, all of this only applies if you get the points for being from the North!!! If your not from teh North, from what I gather its pretty difficult to get into NOSM regardless of GPA or anythign else).

YOU SHOULD STILL APPLY!! good luck

Lol, thanks for the advice...

I'm not from the north, but a very rural community... so it looks like I'll fight it out for 1 of 3 or 4 spots lol....

Thanks, from those of us who could not have applied if they don't at least drop first year. I had a terrible first year and even though my other years were good to stellar, my overall GPA isn't even 3.0. I even went to grad school afterwards! Anyway, the point is try doing the math. One horrible year...let's say 1.0 in 1 year and 3 great years of 3.6. Sorry, you don't qualify...so try the Caribbean or Ireland, then come back to Canada and use the skills you paid for (no tax dollars) on the communities that you wanted to give service to in the first place!

don't give up yet....if medicine is what u really want to do...then you'll do it....go to grad school or if that's not an option do a second degree...a 3 yr degree and apply again as a mature student...take the mcat and you'll be eligible for so many more schools across the country.....

keep at it!

________

Mflb vaporizer

haha that's the other thing about the NOSM outcome....

Not only do I no longer get the benefit of getting rid of my early terrible years... haha now they refuse to look at the work done in my new degree unless I'm unless that degree will be completed before I enroll....

So after a lackluster first undergrad, the fact that I have a 3.9 in the first/second year of a new degree counts for nothing.... Not that I had a stellar chance of getting into Northern due to my non-northern upbringing.... but growing up in a community that was 30 minutes away from the nearest family physician I developed a real appreciation for the lack of rural doctors in certain areas and appreciated the initiatives behind both Western's and Northern's medical schools.

Ahh well, I realize they need to do things that are best for the school.... It's just it didn't work out personally for me....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure if they look at summer courses if you were a f/t student but I know they won't look at any courses you complete this upcoming fall/winter...this is the case for all med schools in canada...If you get accepted they ask for an update transcript to make sure you maintained a certain avg..that avg. varies from school to school

________

Professional indemnity insurance dicussion

So I just looked on OMSAS...since I thought that there as still a chance that this was misleading info, but alas, I have come to realize that they really are getting rid of the wgpa...which really sucks. Agh.

So where are you applying supafield?

Sorry unknown for not getting back sooner....

Applying to Western, Queens and Mac...

MCAT 12,10,10 S

Western G.P.A. 3.89

Queens G.P.A. 3.75 (last 2 years)

Mac G.P.A. 3.4

Knowing Mac is a giant long shot I'm just hoping to snag an interview at Queens and Western. If all doesn't go well however next year my G.P.A. should be stronger for most schools and allow me to try Toronto out who has said if I explain that my 2 first years were a result of lack of maturity and focus they make look at my overall G.P.A with an emphasis towards the end.

Archived