Premed 101 Forums

missing years of residency when coming back to canada

Hey guys, I was just talking to a few people about going to the US and then coming back to canada. If you want to do you residency in the US and then come back, you may have to do some residency years to fill the gap (IM is 4 years in canada vs 3 in the states). Which doesn't sound bad cuz its not like you are losing a year because you would have to have done that anyways, but apparently the problem is that you can't just get that extra year anywhere because there are no 1 year IM programs.

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

I think in Canada for internal medicine is 3 yrs core and 2 yrs for subspecialty - if you want specialize. I always thought it was just 3 yrs for general internal in canada...I could be wrong though...

Maybe you could do a 1 yr fellowship to make up the difference?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I was just talking to a few people about going to the US and then coming back to canada. If you want to do you residency in the US and then come back, you may have to do some residency years to fill the gap (IM is 4 years in canada vs 3 in the states). Which doesn't sound bad cuz its not like you are losing a year because you would have to have done that anyways, but apparently the problem is that you can't just get that extra year anywhere because there are no 1 year IM programs.

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

you can have it as a chief resident like the previous poster mentionned or you can do it as a one year subspecialty: Geriatric, rural....

I think in Canada for internal medicine is 3 yrs core and 2 yrs for subspecialty - if you want specialize. I always thought it was just 3 yrs for general internal in canada...I could be wrong though...

Maybe you could do a 1 yr fellowship to make up the difference?

GIM (general internal medicine) is 4 years. You do 3 years of IM, then one year of GIM.

Archived