Premed 101 Forums

Okay - new cycle is starting soon, advice please! :)

THX

Okay, it's March and I'm starting to become pretty antsy about the whole med school application thingy. There's a few things that I would like to know, firstly if I have a serious shot at getting in (why waste the money otherwise?) and how to time the reference letters.

I think I have a very average background and I am a bit afraid that I will get overlooked because of it. Here's what I have:

GPA: 3.77

MCAT: 32R

Volunteer Work: 1 year Hospital ER/ICU, 1 trip volunteering abroad, 2 summers at a day-clinic when I was in high school. That's it. I'm also going to do some Hospital volunteering work over the summer.

Research: None

Awards: None except Dean's Honours list for the past couple of years

ECs: Nothing organized. I play recreational (ie. for fun) squash, jog etc. But I haven't been part of club administration, student government or part of sports teams in any capacity.

I look at other apps on this site and it seems like mine is far less distinguished than others. Any thoughts on whether what I have is good enough to snag a few interviews in the states (and Canada)? Should I aim for lower tier or mid-tier?

Also, how does one time their reference letters? If you are applying to the US in June and apply to Canada later, do you simply request reference letters from your sources twice? Or is there a way of timing it so that both are sent out at the same time?

Thanks!

With your MCAT score and no research experience, I would say that top tier schools are a long shot. However, you can apply to 1 or 2 dream schools if you'd like because you never know. Realistically though, they are a long shot. If I were you, I would apply to mid/low-tier schools EARLY. Get your stuff in ASAP (earliest you can submit your primary application is June 1st).

You should start getting your references together now. If you havent talked to anybody about reference letters then start that now and make sure you meet the requirements for US schools. Usually they want ALL references to be from professors. Each school requires anywhere from 2-4 letters on average. Some schools also specifically want letters from science and non-science profs. Make sure you read the reference letter requirements for the schools your interested in and start working on that now before it gets late. I would advise them that you are applying to American and Canadian schools and explain how the timeline works. Make sure they are willing to go through with it before you get them to write you a letter. You cant really ask for them to send out US and Canadian letters at the same time as you'd want to start getting letters to US schools in June and Canadian applications arent even available until July and onwards.

Hope this helps.

I think your numbers are fine for US med schools (I got in with lower GPA and similar MCAT)

... but if I were you I would try to beef up the EC's -- US med schools are big on "clinical experience", and also you still have a few months to get involved in SOMETHING (research, student groups, sports, etc...).

Show that you are a well rounded person. Get Involved!!!

I still think you have a decent shot, but especially as an international you have to stand out

As for schools, take a look at the list posted on these forums. You have a good chance at low and mid-tier schools but I would leave out places like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Hopkins etc.

Okay, it's March and I'm starting to become pretty antsy about the whole med school application thingy. There's a few things that I would like to know, firstly if I have a serious shot at getting in (why waste the money otherwise?) and how to time the reference letters.

I think I have a very average background and I am a bit afraid that I will get overlooked because of it. Here's what I have:

GPA: 3.77

MCAT: 32R

Volunteer Work: 1 year Hospital ER/ICU, 1 trip volunteering abroad, 2 summers at a day-clinic when I was in high school. That's it. I'm also going to do some Hospital volunteering work over the summer.

Research: None

Awards: None except Dean's Honours list for the past couple of years

ECs: Nothing organized. I play recreational (ie. for fun) squash, jog etc. But I haven't been part of club administration, student government or part of sports teams in any capacity.

I look at other apps on this site and it seems like mine is far less distinguished than others. Any thoughts on whether what I have is good enough to snag a few interviews in the states (and Canada)? Should I aim for lower tier or mid-tier?

Also, how does one time their reference letters? If you are applying to the US in June and apply to Canada later, do you simply request reference letters from your sources twice? Or is there a way of timing it so that both are sent out at the same time?

Thanks!

You'll have to do it twice - if you want to ensure the BEST POSSIBLE shot at the US system, you'll want to get you're file complete ASAP after the AMCAS system opens up. So you'll want your LORs submitted to Interfolio by late June/early July. Then again in September to OMSAS and all other Canadian medical schools.

Just a quick question to those who know the US app system really well.

Do adcoms frown upon those who take a year off of undergrad? Let's say that an applicant (in 4th year) fails to get in this round and decides to take the year off to travel/volunteer.

Thanks

Do adcoms frown upon those who take a year off of undergrad? Let's say that an applicant (in 4th year) fails to get in this round and decides to take the year off to travel/volunteer.

Thanks

I don't see why they would. Many people are sick of undergrad and are ready for bigger things. Its not that they are lazy, its just that they would like a new experience altogether. Others enjoy ungrad and prefer to stay.

Thanks

This is starting to become more and more popular, partially because it is harder to get in the first time and partially because people want a break before killing themselves for 4 years.

Adcoms do NOT frown on this, in fact it is a good chance to beef up your application with work experience, travel, volunteer etc...

As an example, at UVM they said that only 30% of the class was straight out of undergrad.

hey.....i am very new to US applcn process...so my qns are...do we just fill up the applcn thru amcas and that would be primary? In that case we just submit a personal statement as primary? Then when do we actually send in references?

I plan to write mcat in july....so they will process my primaries after that? I already wrote it once and got 10 10 9 (VR) P....is it wise to submit those scores?

thanks

________

volcano vaporizers

hey.....i am very new to US applcn process...so my qns are...do we just fill up the applcn thru amcas and that would be primary? In that case we just submit a personal statement as primary? Then when do we actually send in references?

I plan to write mcat in july....so they will process my primaries after that? I already wrote it once and got 10 10 9 (VR) P....is it wise to submit those scores?

thanks

1) Yes, you fill out the AMCAS application and that will be the 'primary' application. The AMCAS application includes one essay - the 'personal statement'. Following this, each school will send you a secondary application (which often require additional essays).

2) References are sent to each individual school. Once you have the secondary application, you can send the school your references. You can use services such as http://www.interfolio.com to send your references. That way, your referees only have to send out one letter to interfolio and you can send the letters, through interfolio, to each school as the need arises.

3) Primary application does not require MCAT to be completed for processing. Your pirmary application will be processed as soon as it is complete. You will also receive secondaries even if you havent submitted your new MCAT score. The only place you will be held up is the individual schools reviewing your application. Your application WILL NOT be reviewed by each school until your file is complete - i.e. your MCAT score is received.

4) I believe MCAT THx releases ALL scores. I dont think you have control over which scores you can release.

Archived