Premed 101 Forums

Western Interviews

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I can't answer your questions...

just a note about the interview session..I was a little disappointed. Yes, the video was funny, but I felt that Western didn't do a great job of selling their school (in comparison to the 2 others I interviewed at.)

anyone else feel this?

just a note about the interview session..I was a little disappointed. Yes, the video was funny, but I felt that Western didn't do a great job of selling their school (in comparison to the 2 others I interviewed at.)

anyone else feel this?

They don't have to sell themselves to me. If anoyone gave me the nod I would run over there as fast as I could get there!

1) Is this the first year that students have to do 1 year in an under-serviced area for clerkship?

You mean 1 month, right? If so, that's not new.

NB: if you're thinking about what I think you are, it doesn't have to be an "underserviced area"...just a place that's "not London or Windsor". I spent six weeks commuting to St. Thomas. Other people have worked in Ilderton (about 20 min north of the city).

On the other hand, the farther away you get from the academic centers, the more cool stuff you get to do...

What's the underlying purpose of having you do parts of clerkship outside of London or Windsor? Is it due to shortages in staff personnel and having students serve as extra bodies to have on hand in these cities? Or is it to provide an exposure to neighbouring cities in hopes of getting you to go there when school is over?

Ploughboy: were you there today?

Everybody: I REALLY LIKED WESTERN!! The students there were all so nice and friendly (IMHO genuinely nice and friendly - not to say that the students from the others scholl aren't). But my interview itself was iffy. People kept on telling me that it was just a conversation, but mine wasn't. They had poker faces all throughout (but I did manage to squeeze out a smile or two). I didn't feel so good right after the interview...

Really liked the video. Really liked the campus. And London.

anyone else feel this?

I didn't really have any expectations for Western (I'd never been there before), and was actually really impressed with everything - gorgeous campus, interesting enough presentation (no less so than Queen's), and really enthusiastic first-years. Compared with McGill, where only one or two students came out to answer applicants' questions, they put on a really great show!

I'll agree with others in that my interview was a little more tense than elsewhere, though.

hey dont get me wrong...I think Western is my first choice! I think I was just expecting a bit more info from the information session.

I really like London, the campus, and the students were really nice. Just means I had to ask a few more questions in my interview :)

epigal, i'm sorry you didn't have the best time at western. are there any questions you still haven't had answered? if so, i'm sure some of us on here could help to answer them!

everyone else, glad you liked the video and info session! people worked really hard on it and i love it :)

Hey... thanks for the offer. I think I've got everything answered now.

The students were really friendly and made sure we knew to email or ask if we had any questions, so I will definitely take advantage of that if anything else comes up :)

A couple questions:

1) Is this the first year that students have to do 1 year in an under-serviced area for clerkship?

2) is it confirmed that they don't even have your sketch nor your school submission essay at the interview?

Thanks!

Hey,

As far as you're Q's go, here's my best effort:

1) We don't have to do 1 year in an underserviced area. In fact, we really only have to do one month(ish) outside of London or Windsor, but this isn't a bad thing, even though it tends to scare people away. Think about it, doing something like family medicince in a smaller community setting gives you way more hands on experience...trust me.

2) as far as I know, this year they have nothing.

3) last year we were emailed and the letter ariived 1-2 days later

4)As far as I know, SWOMEN status only gets you to the interview a bit easier, and has no bearing post-interview

Hope this helps!!

I actually really liked my interview. I had interviewed there last year, and was quite nervous then, but I was completely not nervous at all for this interview, and it seemed to flow really well (I was really surprised when the 45 minutes was over, I thought it was only half way done or so). The interviewers have to be somewhat straight-faced, but they seemed pretty happy with my answers, so I hope like hell that I'm there in September.

I think billeting with one of the first year students really helped. He was a pretty relaxed guy, and it made it a lot more comfortable in the day leading up to the interview, plus he gave me a ride to the building, which meant not having to fret about figuring out where to go!

I also enjoyed my interview experience at Western. Very relaxed, friendly interviewers, good variety of different types of questions.

I don't feel I did as well here as with other schools (I was really tired) but overall, I think it went ok!

Good job done by the med students taking care of us there! There were plenty of them around at all times and everyone was very welcoming.

Hey Guys,

Congrats on the interview. I'm up for this Saturday. Did they give you a pencil and paper to scrawl on, or any kind of typed passage to read? Thanks.

Hi supercharged,

No, none of that. I've only seen that during an MMI, never for a panel interview (maybe some schools do that, input anyone?).

Good luck! ;)

You're in a three person panel. You get asked questions and then answer, you don't get two minutes to stand outside of the room before you answer, but don't feel super rushed to hustle through the answers. You do have to think on your feet a fair bit, and use your water to your advantage. Take a sip if you need a second to think about your answers ;)

Hey,

As far as you're Q's go, here's my best effort:

1) We don't have to do 1 year in an underserviced area. In fact, we really only have to do one month(ish) outside of London or Windsor, but this isn't a bad thing, even though it tends to scare people away. Think about it, doing something like family medicince in a smaller community setting gives you way more hands on experience...trust me.

2) as far as I know, this year they have nothing.

3) last year we were emailed and the letter ariived 1-2 days later

4)As far as I know, SWOMEN status only gets you to the interview a bit easier, and has no bearing post-interview

Hope this helps!!

WHAT!! They don't have our essay :eek: What was the point of having us waste our time to write it then? :confused:

Thanks Danny! I actually didn't see your post until Rocky quoted it. I actually wouldn't mind doing 1 year in an underserviced area. I grew up in toronto, but a recent experience made me think I might want to be involved in rural medicine. glad we get an e-mail too, but for some rason they said that htey are mailing it out this year and no e-mail offers will be sent. I guess they meant that the official one is by mail and the e-mail is to just keep us from excessively worrying?

Archived