Premed 101 Forums

Western Interviews

Hi supercharged,

No, none of that. I've only seen that during an MMI, never for a panel interview (maybe some schools do that, input anyone?).

Good luck! ;)

thanks for the info, athina and superking. the water is a good idea. when i did my uofa, they had us pour ours from a jug, so i never touched the stuff: i was afraid of spilling it all over the place.:o

________

Volcano Vaporizer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? They don't have the essay? Didn't they have it in previous yrs?

I interviewed this weekend, and from my experience it's a moot point. Wasn't the essay on our self study abilities or somethign like that? Whatever it was, it didn't come up and they don't pull questions from it ("I see you mentioned ____ what was that like?").

I think the most important thing to realize is that there is a list of questions they want to get through and time is an issue. Back everything up with brief and clear examples.

Lol some people are saying it's like a conversation, other people are saying it's a huge list. I think--it's the interviewer difference again. Some people just like to judge based on your answers (unless you say something totally wacky and they challenge you or something totally interesting and they want to question you more), whereas other people just like to ask follow up questions?

I interviewed this weekend, and from my experience it's a moot point. Wasn't the essay on our self study abilities or somethign like that? Whatever it was, it didn't come up and they don't pull questions from it ("I see you mentioned ____ what was that like?").

I think the most important thing to realize is that there is a list of questions they want to get through and time is an issue. Back everything up with brief and clear examples.

thx for the insight.

________

LEXUS F SPECIFICATIONS

Lol some people are saying it's like a conversation, other people are saying it's a huge list. I think--it's the interviewer difference again. Some people just like to judge based on your answers (unless you say something totally wacky and they challenge you or something totally interesting and they want to question you more), whereas other people just like to ask follow up questions?

I think that people who have positive experiences tend to say that their interview was really "conversational", and I don't know if this is a cause or a consequence. It depends almost entirely on your interviewers' styles. My interviewers were fair and friendly; however as you really need to back up your statements with examples (since it is a blind interview) it takes more time and you might feel rushed. You can't control who your interviewers will be, and you can't control what questions they ask you. My advice to everyone is:

1. Don't try too hard. But what the hell does that mean, right? :rolleyes: It means DO NOT rehearse and pre-package your answers. I did this b/c I was nervous of the big open-ended questions but you gotta be careful it doesn't come off sounding forced and formulaic.

2. Be critical. When you're analysing situations (like in those "what would you do if..." think about your actions in the short-term vs. long-term, and exemptions to the rule

3. Don't sweat the small stuff (ie: who to look at while you're talking, what color shirt to wear, what another word for "compassionate" is, etc) and think about the interview more as this: Are you a person they want to interact with for 4 years?? How will you be super as part of the med school class (and not JUST as a doctor?)

My interview at Western was OK... but ultimately I did not follow my own advice and I regret it now. I was lucky enough to get a second swing at Queens and walk out of there with a smile from ear to ear. And now I'm going to LET IT GO and cross my fingers for the rest of you who are on your way to London. Good luck and I hope you kill it! :)

So, would you guys recommend or condemn the following: One person recommended that if you just don't know exactly how to answer a question, you can ask them to ask you later. Seems like that would not be a great idea, b/c they might think you can think on your feet.

Somone who was on the panel also recommended i do that at times - so it isnt as bad as you think. But I think we just demonstrated how subjective the panel interview style really is

Thanks for your reply. So, your interviewer actually said you could come back to it? This was during the interview?

I've also asked for time to think questions over before answering. I think you can take a good 15-20 seconds rather comfortably before coming up with something. My panelists seemed to treat it as a normal request.

Then again, I think it's probably better to think and give a good answer than blurt out the first thing outta your mouth. That killed me at my Queens one.

But then if you have 2 applicants, both give good answers, one right away (within 5 seconds), the other one needs soooo much time to think, definitely points deducted. But oh well...that's something you gotta balance out yourself.

But then if you have 2 applicants, both give good answers, one right away (within 5 seconds), the other one needs soooo much time to think, definitely points deducted. But oh well...that's something you gotta balance out yourself.

I don't think taking some extra time to think about a situational/ethical question will automatically lead to a point deduction...it will actually make you appear more thoughtful than someone who blurts out a 'perfect' answer almost immediately. I think 20-45s of thinking/silence for such questions will work for you rather than against. Just ask for a moment to think.

I think its best to stop, formulate the answer, and then reply. The person who told me this had doneinterviews before. I even had to take a second in my response to say "excuse me; I need a moment to articulate" then jumped back in to wrap my pointup.

I agree here - I think the end result is the important point. I'd think that its best to take the time to answer to the best of your ability.

But, what about when you ask for them to come back to the question later (i.e. ask me another question for now, and we'll go back to the original question after)?

This is what a person who has interviewed candidates before told me: Don't be afraid to ask them to return to a question later on. If they forget, then it is upon you to bring it back up and have a response ready.

But, what about when you ask for them to come back to the question later (i.e. ask me another question for now, and we'll go back to the original question after)?

I don't see why not. :) The real question is not IF you are allowed (answer: of course you are) but if it will actually help YOU. Will you realistically be able to formulate a better answer while your brain is doing overtime on other more immediate questions? Would it stress you out to have this question hanging over your head? And what if you still don't have any kind of response when they revisit the issue?

It also depends on the question. If it is an ethical dillemma and you truly have NO IDEA where to start... I'd say cut your losses and move on. If you're just pulling a blank on a straightforward "give me an example when" type of Q... odds are that you'll figure it out by the end of the interview. I think it demonstrates that you have an organized mental headspace and can multitask. Unlike my particular Western experience.... trying to keep my ideas straight while feeling like I had a million anxious hamsters trying to get out of my head. :o The simple truth is that time goes by fast and you have to do what feels right in that moment.

I really enjoyed my interview at Western, much more relaxed and casual than the MMI at Calgary. My interviewers were very friendly, especially the community rep. I found my interview to be very much a conversation, with them asking questions about experiences (volunteer, research etc...) I brought up. The physician on the panel seemed to assume that I had done thesis research and wanted to know if I had published it, anyone else have this? He was also filling out my evaluation during the interview, which was a little distracting as I was trying not to look at what scores he was giving me... Overall I was very impressed with the school. The med students were all very friendly and answered any questions I had.

Not that Id ever ask anyone to break the holy, signed-in-blood med school interview confidentiality agreement :P ...but can anyone give me a general idea of the number of standard questions the panel asks and what types they are? ie a) really typical and to be expected type questions B) behavioural "tell us about a time when...bla bla" c) ethical situations, etc.

Thank you :D

Not that Id ever ask anyone to break the holy, signed-in-blood med school interview confidentiality agreement :P ...but can anyone give me a general idea of the number of standard questions the panel asks and what types they are? ie a) really typical and to be expected type questions B) behavioural "tell us about a time when...bla bla" c) ethical situations, etc.

Thank you :D

LOL goodluck with that

im pretty sure that stuff isnt breaking the confidentiality agreement, Id tell you if i knew, but it was open knowledge at queen's. A few med students told us we had 6 present situational/behavioural questions followed by whatever comes up from our sketch or other followup questions - that was for queen's..not sure about western. Ask the med students about the format when you are there this weekend..and if they know they will tell you

it's a closed file interview, so they don't know ANYTHING about your other than that you're applying. They don't know where you're from, what your major is, your volunteer/EC experience, etc., so its up to you to try and mention it. I won't tell you what the questions are, but I will give you the general advice, to know yourself and your experiences, and know why you want to be a doctor, and you'll be just fine in answering the questions.

My advice, like many people's, is to not focus on having perfect pre-set answers to questions. Certainly, think about the more cornerstone questions that you'll likely be asked about: research experience, ethical questions, etc., but you can't truly prepare an answer for every question. By knowing yourself and your experiences, and being RELAXED (I know, it's hard if this is your first interview, but it gets better with time), you'll do great. Remember, your interviewers, as stone-faced as they seem, REALLY REALLY want you to succeed! They want to help you get in, so they want you to help them get you in.

Archived