Premed 101 Forums

Tour of Queen's Med School

I had a great time at Queen's the day of my interview (last Sunday)! However, unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to Kingston the night before. As such, I didn't get as much time to speak with current med students as I would have liked. As well, I went on the bus tour (fantastic!), but since it ran late, I missed the tour of Queen's.

Is it possible to tour the med school/facilities at another time? Would any of the current med students be willing to speak with me about their experiences at Queen's? I had a great time at Western yesterday, and as a result, have more questions about Queen's.

If I am fortunate enough to get multiple offers, the decision between Queen's, Western and/or Dalhousie will be very difficult!

Thanks for your hlp!

Elaine

My apologies, Elaine! We didn't realize that the bus tour was running late, so my tour partner and me started the tour 5min after 2:00pm. And I was wondering why so few people wanted to go on the tour...

If you have any questions about Queen's, ask away :)

But basically... in terms of the campus and facilities:

1) We have a super pretty campus full of beautiful stone architecture. Kingston is incredibly beautiful spring to summer.

2) The teaching hospitals are all easily reachable by walking, shuttle bus, or the city bus.

3) We have lectures in the basement of Botterell Hall, with the exception of 1st semester of second year when lectures are in the Biosci Complex.

4) We have a really nice clinical skills building (where you had your interviews). It's open evenings and weekends so everyone has plenty of time to use the rooms for practice. Also, the CEC staff are so friendly and helpful.

5) Bracken is the Health Sciences Library. We tend to hang out there a lot since the medical students' lounge (Matheson Room) is currently being refurnished. There's also Stauffer library (beautiful inside and the fireside reading room is awesome!) and Douglas library (the giant top floor reading room looks like Hogwarts).

6) We have Common Ground coffeeshop that serves fabulous sandwiches (smoothie + stacked on sesame combo = so yummy!), the environmentally sustainable Tea Room, and other student cafes.

7) The lake is a block away from the campus. There's nothing quite like studying on the rocky beach in the summer and enjoying the breeze over the lake.

now bad stuff about the campus:

1) Our gym is a disaster. Luckily, the medical students organize Goodlife membership discounts, and Goodlife is close.

2) Kingston is WINDY!

3) Our anatomy lab has restrictive hours.

Archived