Premed 101 Forums

Chance at American schools?

THX

Hi guys, whenever I look at the stats of Canadian applicants to the US, it seems like they have such great stats. I was wondering, for the rest of us mere mortals, do we still have a shot? Here's what I have:

GPA 3.8, MCAT: 32R

ECs: 1 Year ICU, 2 Summers Palleative Care, 1 Trip for Katrina Hurricane Relief, 1 Summer ER, created/managed a very large website (150,000 members, 500million hits, 3.5million posts), worked with Federal Government (Pension Clerk) for 3 summers and that is all.

Should I apply mostly to lower tier and mid tier? The Albanys, NYMC, RFU etc (good schools, but not by rep). Or do you think I also have a shot at the Dartmouths, Duke's, etc?

Thanks,

Yeah, top 20 probably not gonna happen. You should also try for SUNY and Penn State. Go for mid-tier and low-tier. Nothing wrong with applying to 1-2 "dream" schools as long as you can afford it. But with a 32 MCAT and no research, it will be extremely tough.

Yeah, top 20 probably not gonna happen. You should also try for SUNY and Penn State. Go for mid-tier and low-tier. Nothing wrong with applying to 1-2 "dream" schools as long as you can afford it. But with a 32 MCAT and no research, it will be extremely tough.

But a 32 with research experience gives you a good shot at mid/low tier schools?

so how much research experience do you think would be enough to be considered in high ranking schools?

i have one summer research experience and that's it.

did a poster presentation, but no publication.

do you think that's enough?

i have a research assistant position this summer, but i'm applying in june,

so can't say too much about it (though I'll probably include it anyway).

so how much research experience do you think would be enough to be considered in high ranking schools?

i have one summer research experience and that's it.

did a poster presentation, but no publication.

do you think that's enough?

i have a research assistant position this summer, but i'm applying in june,

so can't say too much about it (though I'll probably include it anyway).

I know a guy who did some research but nothing special and got a harvard interview. Not saying its easy, but its not the end of the world if you don't publish.

Also, MSAR is the bible of US MD applications. I know a person with a low 30 mcat that was accepted into Dartmouth. They are more middle tier and generally look for well-rounded people overall. Your GPA is good and I wouldn't discourage you from applying at all, but what I would discourage is applying to a lot of top tiers and not so much middle/lower tier. For every top tier you apply to, apply to 2-3 middle/lower tier!

I know a guy who did some research but nothing special and got a harvard interview. Not saying its easy, but its not the end of the world if you don't publish.

I don't know if you're referring to the same person a friend of mine knows (since you're from Queen's), but this person also has a very very very impressive musical background that trumps labwork/publications.

I don't know if you're referring to the same person a friend of mine knows (since you're from Queen's), but this person also has a very very very impressive musical background that trumps labwork/publications.

I dont think this is the same person, but this guy I knew had a very very impressive EC list, not just involved but he also initiated a lot of groups and really made a difference.

What I meant to say is, you do need something special for Harvard; it just doesn't have to be publishing in Nature.

Archived